7 days post op for total knee replacement

Posted , 14 users are following.

I had a total knee replacement carried out 8 days ago,there was a fair bit of bleeding after the op which the medical team monitored until it ceased several days later, i was able to carry out basic physio tasks soon after the op and had some flexibilty on my knee,since coming home 4days ago i continue to move around and can go up and down the stairs , very slowly i may add , I do have a fair amount of brusing and swelling  but  the pain and discomfort i am in is far worse  than i thought it would be i have had pain medication when discharged but this has gone sleeping seems impossible and getting comfortable takes for ever if at all , i am feeling tearful , i am lucky that i have a caring husband who is looking after me  but at 57 have always been active and independent i do understand  that recovery will take some time but right now with the amount of pain i am in i feel at a loss what to do to aid my recovey

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Karen

Being only 8 days po I want to be truthful with you . This is a long process. One thing I will share with you right after I got out of the hospital I was sent to a rehabilitation place I ask my mom to buy me some Arnicare gel it will get rid of the bruising very quickly it freaked my PT out how fast my bruises dissapeared and you know that will reduce the pain.Also right after surgery you have pain gel shots that they put in your knees for pain and when it wares off it seems like you have taken 5 steps back. I had both my knees done at the same time so my story is a bit different, but i have learned alot from these forums . Ask your doctor if you can take an over the counter sleep aid with no pain meds in it, and buy a heating pad. The more sleep you get the faster you will heal, ice during the day for swelling and heat at night for pain and stiffness. If you need more info just ask. Best of luck to you we all know what your going through. smile

• Posted

Hi l am afraid you are only at the beginning of a very long and slow road,l am 14 wks post op and l have only just in the past 2 wks am having more sleep,forget about the word sleep for the first 6 wks then if you are llucky you might grab a bit here and there for me it took to 12 wks till l could say it's improving.l am still taking pain relief that l was put on for my knee, after my exercises if l have tried to leave the extra pain relief off l am in agony.l am 65 and have gone bk to work as a carer three wks ago, l am managing as l do plenty of exercises twice a day. I think the trouble is that we are not informed enough, my consultant said it will be painful that's it, like you l cried and cried and cried till l thought this is the worse experience of my life,my family and hubby did not know what to do to help as l was sometimes inconsolable, l had horrendous bruising but l took Arnica brilliant, keep elevated, icing, and going by what you have said you are doing great,Pse just be patient and don't let yr painkillers run out take religiously at the right time. I can now see  the light the knee is just a bit sore but my main pain is my calf and upper thigh,it hurts also behined the knee at the crease  keep us posted remember we are all in this together,thank goodness for good hubbies take care.
  • Posted

Hi Karen. Did I understand your post correctly saying that your pain medication is gone?  If so pls work with your doctor to get more. I am 15 weeks out from my TKR and I still take 1/2 Norco a few times a week as I become more active. My doctor is fine with that as long as that's all I need. I could never have gone without meds at your stage postop. 

I couldn't sleep on my side for at least 6 weeks after surgery even with a pillow between my legs. I ended up getting a tempurpedic mattress topper which helped support my leg more.  

Keep your chin up. It will get better. I had breakthroughs at different times of my recovery and that kept me going. I still have to gauge how much I can do in a day but I am very happy with my progress. 

• Posted

Morning Deborah

Thanks for your reply, everyone has been so helpful and encouraging, reference the pain medication I did have some when i left hospital last Wed think i may have used then quicker than was prescriped and suffered a really bad night on Sat , so yesterday i called  the local Shop Doc spoke to GP who sent a prescription to Tesco and mt husband collected it , so now have meds also made app with GP to talk about ongoing help I was not offered any pre information before the operartion so my knowledge in sadly limited i have read up a TKR on the internet but clearly need to know more about pain management.

I understand it is early days for me and after reading some replies i realise i am not doing to bad .

• Posted

I'm so glad you have some meds now. You can't function when you're in so much pain.

Speaking of pain, I've just recently had 2 different people say how wonderful I look since I've had my 2 surgeries (I've had both knees done in the last 7 months). I guess I was in so much pain with my bad knees that I looked pretty down all the time. Now that I'm up and about and smiling again people are noticing.

So that's what you have to look forward to. I know that's hard to believe now but you will get there. I had someone ask me if I would do it again and I said I would in a heartbeat. Take care, and heed the forum's mantra, rest, ice, take your meds, hydrate and do your ecercises as you are able. 😄

• Posted

I'm so glad you have some meds now. You can't function when you're in so much pain.

Speaking of pain, I've just recently had 2 different people say how wonderful I look since I've had my 2 surgeries (I've had both knees done in the last 7 months). I guess I was in so much pain with my bad knees that I looked pretty down all the time. Now that I'm up and about and smiling again people are noticing.

So that's what you have to look forward to. I know that's hard to believe now but you will get there. I had someone ask me if I would do it again and I said I would in a heartbeat. Take care, and heed the forum's mantra, rest, ice, take your meds, hydrate and do your ecercises as you are able. 😄

• Posted

Hi l am so glad to see that somebody at 15 wk post op still needs some meds, l am the same l know l am bk to work doing 3 x10!hr shifts over 3 days so lam probably really pushing my body hard ,l exercise every morn and do a little at night , if l get a chance l will stretch and lunge at work,l still very much need my medication because at the end of my day my body is not. Happy. I already take meds for my fibromyalgia which l have had for 15 yrs but the extra pain relief l was on for my knee l still need,l have cut it down from 2x twice a day to 1xtwice a day but l probably need the double dose but l want to cut down and see how l can manage,manage being the operative word l just manage. 
  • Posted

Get pain meds as needed and don't let them act like it's coming out of their pocket or you are suddenly going to become a drug addict or that you are a dealer and selling them on the street corner. Take the med on schedule as prescribed. Do whatever it takes to get rest and sleep. Returning to your normal pattern is probably as difficult as anything you will do my recliner became my best friend and has remained that way for the last 13cyears. Many people come home from surgery thinking they are doing better than they actually are then try to resume regular activities way to soon.......then the troubles start. Slow down. You've been through one of the most traumatic and painful surgeries going. Most surgeons and therapist don't even begin to start telling you about this part of the process.

To review: take pain meds on a schedule, excercise as called for but limit those to a couple times a day , ice as many times a day and night as you need, hydrate (drink more water than you ever have in your life), elevate, rest, rest, rest. Taking a couple of naps a day won't disrupt your sleep pattern, elevate,( keep your leg slightly above the heart if possible but never let it hang down when you sit. Stay in touch with this group as they have all been through it and can offer much in the way of advice from their own experience and perspective

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.