7 months since thr and can barely walk so depressed

Posted , 13 users are following.

When my hip dislocated my leg never returned to the nice straight leg it was after surgery.  My knee is angled towards the other leg and my foot is not under my knee anymore which makes walking a painful experience. The surgeon won’t image it or except that it’s a problem. He thinks it’s my fault for not walking at first after the dislocation. Should I get referred to a different doctor in a different hospital for a second opinion. I’m his second ever to dislocate.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am sorry for you, and bloody hell yes- go and see another surgeon ASAP. Worst case scenario go to A&E and demand an x-ray/ MRA and make sure they know you are in agony, 

• Posted

I’m going to an ER tomorrow and will demand an MRA as you suggest. Wish me good luck
  • Posted

Gosh anoukhip, that sounds terrible to have been left in that state. What has your GP said will he/she refer you to another surgeon. How did you dislocate the hip, was it long after the original operation. I hope you get a resolution soon,
    • Posted

My GP has put in for imaging at the same hospital ortho group, different doctor.

I dislocated 1 month after surgery. Was told that I had no precautions. I took 1 big step backwards and it dislocated. I was so upset that the surgeon didn’t give me that precaution.  I would be healed now.

• Posted

Unbelieveable you were not told about 12 week precautions. The nurses and physio's in the hospital were the ones telling us about not bending twisting etc, not the surgeon. Time to bang on doors and see what can be done.

• Posted

Yes get it sorted out at another centre with a surgeon used to doing hip revisions.

Good luck, Richard

• Posted

Hello Anokhip

I've been all sorts of videos on YouTube, regarding hip replacements, preparing for and post recovery. From what I have learned, your abductor muscle on the side of your hip, is weak. Try exercises for example standing at your work surface in the kitchen, and raise you affected leg up sideways holding it for a few moments before lowering. Do as many repetitions as you are able, several times through the day

Another one to do is lie on your side and do the clam, raising the affected leg towards the ceiling but keep your foot parallel to your other. Have a look online for a better explanation and demonstration. 

Ask for more physio if you would prefer a more hands on approach.

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Is that a leg lift to the side? I’ll try it. I can’t lay on my stomach so the other exercise will have to wait. As for the clam, I’ll you tube it.
  • Posted

OMG!!!!  Make an official complaint to the hospital TODAY XXX
  • Posted

That's terrible..that surgeon' s name should be on some sort of don't go to list...I am so sorry this has happened to you..go elsewhere and start living again... 🙏

• Posted

This is disgraceful! Of course you should seek a second opinion. Where do you live? I had my hip replacement 6 weeks ago done by Philip Kerr at the Pinehill Hospital, Letchworth in Hertfordshire. He takes private and NHS patients and is one of the best in the country. I am delighted with my result. Mr Kerr also has a great bedside manner and spends a lot of time talking through any concerns. He let me have an x-ray because I was a bit worried about a noise that I get on certain movements. There was no question of just being told it was nothing to worry about. I hope you live close enough for this to be helpful and I hope this get better very soon for you.
    • Posted

I live in California or I’d definitely get a second opinion from Phillip Kerr. He sounds like a good Surgeon 
    • Posted

That's a great shame. He really is superb and he has had the operation himself so really knows what he's talking about when it comes to recovery advise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.