7 week post-op check up!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've been for my first appointment with the consultant today & he's really, really pleased with my progress & doesn't want to see me for another year! I'm cleared to cycle (yay) & to sleep on my side (another yay) & I even managed to tie my own shoelaces up this morning!

I can't believe how quickly the last 7 weeks has flown by. For all of you that are waiting post-op, I can honestly say its the best decision I've ever made. X

6 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Congratulations Fernlady. It is inspiring to hear such good news. Thanks for posting your success.

Cathy😊🎉

• Posted

Very inspiring Fernlady!  Anterior or posterior approach?
    • Posted

Hi Jim, my surgeon only does posterior. My scar is very small though. If I could post a picture I would!
  • Posted

Excellent 7-week report, Fernlady!  I am very impressed.  You really have done all the work to get to this spot and have a great attitude too.  Good on ya!!!
    • Posted

Thanks Leslie, as you know I was determined from day one! How are you doing? X
    • Posted

Thanks for asking, Fernlady.  I'm doing very well, I think.  Today is my 6-week hip birthday.  I still use some sort of walking aid most of the time -- try not to lean heavily on anything and try to do that glute-squeezing when I walk.  That seems to help.   In another post, I mentioned that I walked around a mall for well over an hour and was exhausted after.  The nice thing though was that my hip didn't hurt!  I haven't walked around a mall for probably a year because each step was so painful pre-surgery.  So I am thrilled.          It's great that you are doing so well!  Keep it up but as many here say -- don't over do it!     Hugs,  Leslie

• Posted

Hi Leslie. Great that you were able to walk around the mall for an hour. Each accomplishment feels good. Did you say that you are able to drive now? How is that part going?

Have a great long weekend.

Cathy😊🌻

• Posted

Hi Cathy -- The driving is going great.  Somehow I find it very easy to get in and out of my car.  I'm short and I think that helps!  I still feel a little nervous especially about not being able to shoulder check.  So I am cautious -- normally I would change lanes often, etc., but now I just take my time, stay in the same lane, if I have to wait longer, it's ok.  I'm probably a safer driver all around.    It sure is a wonderful feeling to be able to get out and about on my own though!    You enjoy the long weekend too.  Hugs, Leslie

• Posted

Hi well done I bet you feel great being able to cycle again. I wished I could but I can't even ride a bike. I'm not very sporty the only things I could do was dancing and walking which I'm having difficulty with at 6 months post op because of my foot.

I am pleased for you and keep up the good work

Brenda C

• Posted

Thanks Brenda. I haven't actually got on the bike yet! I'm going to try my exercise bike first to make sure j can still do it! X

• Posted

hello fernlady ...

I join the choir and congratulate you with this big accomplishment ! 

good job, girl  - 

See, I was not allowed to ditch any walking aid until I saw surgeon at follow up appointment - approaches are so different - from wheeled walker I moved on to cane - still take  it with me just in case and I am okay with that ..

thank you for sharing and for all the ones who are not as advanced as fernlady, take heart ... we are all healing at our own rate , so don't compare yourself to others - 

big warm hug and rock on 

renee

• Posted

Thanks Renee, I totally agree - don't compare yourself to others. We all have different factors that help with our healing - age, pre-op pain, other physical & mental disabilities, we are all so different. Big hugs to you x

• Posted

hi again ...

please know that I am very very pleased for you and having been on this forum forever, know a little bit how some members might react - 

I realize that what I wrote might be taken the wrong way ....

angel blessings 

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee, I certainly didn't take your blessing the wrong way. My last post to you is being moderated (I don't know why) but it basically backs up what you said about us all being different & comparing ourselves to others.

Don't ever feel the need to explain you posts to anyone - you are a constant source if loveliness on this forum. Big hugs to you xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.