7 week post-op check up!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've been for my first appointment with the consultant today & he's really, really pleased with my progress & doesn't want to see me for another year! I'm cleared to cycle (yay) & to sleep on my side (another yay) & I even managed to tie my own shoelaces up this morning!

I can't believe how quickly the last 7 weeks has flown by. For all of you that are waiting post-op, I can honestly say its the best decision I've ever made. X

6 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well done Fernlady, I have followed your progress with interest as it mirrored my own quite closely. Like you, I was told at my 6 week check that I was well ahead of where I should be and was signed off my consultant's books as he headed off to retirement...

BUT.... at 11 weeks I have had a real setback . Life had returned to normal, I felt fit and active and I was doing much more. I still kept doing my exercises each morning but could regularly walk 4 miles etc. Nearly 3 weeks ago I did a heavy day of gardening with lots of pulling, bending and stretching. The following day, feeling fit and well, we went for a 6 mile walk which included some hills and rough ground. I have suffered badly ever since, with sharp pain in my hip joint, a weak leg, pain in my thigh. Both physio and GP believe it is deep muscle strain and I am back to ice packs, anti inflammatories and lots of rest. It is slowly improving but oh so frustrating, especially as I brought it upon myself.

So, don't get carried away and overestimate your healing. Even though you feel fine, things are still not healed and strong inside.

Keep on enjoying your new hip and good luck as you continue to heal.

Steph xx

• Posted

Thanks Steph for your words of wisdom. I'm not going back to work for another 4 weeks & plan to carry on as I am now, doing 'a bit' bit not too much. I hope you are back on your feet again soon x

• Posted

Great reminder Steph - my own experience echoes yours. Looking back over my recovery on hip #1, I think I overestimated my level of recovery several times. I wonder if I will be better with #2?

L

• Posted

Hi Steph. Thanks for your reply. You have really underscored how we need to be careful not to overdo it and overestimate how much we have healed. I think I didn't realize that Gardening with its bending, pulling, carrying heavy stuff can certainly aggravate pains and aches afterwards in different parts of the body.  

What I also took from both you and Fern and other hippies is to keep that positive forward looking attitude so the physical setbacks don't set me back mentally.

Best to you,

Cathy

• Posted

So happy for you Fernlady.....gosh I am 10 weeks post op and not doing that well, but of course with the left hip still being so bad is hard to do all I want to be able to do. So glad that things are getting back to normal for you, sounds like you are doing wonderful. Hugs...Barb
    • Posted

Hi Fernlady,

I'm at the same place as you but I've had both sides done at the same time. I got on my bike a few days ago! ?? I have to say I was scared and I couldn't have the seat as high as I'd have liked because I didn't have the strength to get onto tiptoes and hoik myself onti the seat. But I went round the block with my kids following me to make sure their mum was ok! It felt fine, no pain at all which was amazing! I used to live cycling but was put off by it because of hip pain and referred knee pain so I'm overjoyed! I'm not brave enough to go on the road yet though as don't feel I'm strong enough quite yet to get on and off quickly and easily if need be. I've bee swimming every day but think I've overdone it a bit as I dropped to one crutch whilst doing a couple of hours at the pool and I'm back to 2 crutches as getting pain in left lower back which I think is referred pain from deep hip muscle. Anyway I'll reduce my swimming, stick to 2 crutches and that'll help.

I'm intrigued by your walking sticks idea. I went for a long uphill walk and took one crutch and one walking stick and the walking stick was by far more supportive and I felt much more upright so going to invest in another one and ditch the crutches which I think encourage forward leaning and weight bearing in hands (I have callouses!).

Anyway enough ramblings! Great to hear all the positive comments and hear how you are getting on.

Best wishes,

S

• Posted

Hi, it's good to hear you did well on the bike. I haven't attempted mine yet but just knowing it's not on the restriction list is motivation!

I would definitely get some trekking poles. They support you without leaning too much & force you to walk tall, I wouldn't be without them x

• Posted

Wow, that is awesome that you went cycling! Good for you. The trekking poles also sound like a good idea. Thanks to you and Fernlady.

Cathy😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.