7 weeks post op TKR

Posted , 16 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone else feels like there skin is painful to touch around the knee? It seems to get worse when it swells.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm sorry to say, "me too"......Skin feels raw, it's hot and red......but I have seen nurse and GP and both say it's not infected, it's apparently 'healing very well'....hopefully they're right but it still reduces me to tears on a daily basis (which is really unusual for me).

I have this sense of hundreds of us all hunkering down for the night, praying for rest, and maybe even sleep. Goodnight all, here's hoping for bearable nights xx

• Posted

Hope you get some sleep. I was told mine is healing great too, but really wish sometimes it would go a little faster. Good luck.
    • Posted

Nextoneplease,  I have been there too.  Was told it is the nerves that were cut...I rubbed it.....several times a day...it hurt so bad...but after a few days I did get relief.

pam

• Posted

Suzanne,  everything about this hurts more with the swelling.  No doubt.  I actually wrapped a pice of a very soft t shirt I cut around my scar area for sleeping.  I could not stand to have any cover on top of the incision.  It helped me at night.  As long as u know there is no infection....I rubbed mine...it hurt so bad at the time but after several times a day a few days in a row it got better.  I just used regular lotion as that is what I had.

pam

• Posted

Hi, those crazy cut nerves may be the most painful bit. It also prevented any decent sleep for me. Even pills didn't help much. Ice was some relief. If assured that you have no infection involved, you might try a trick I learned from a YouTube ( mentioned before in past posts, so will be redundant- but it worked for me). Before bed, snuggly wrap your knee with plastic cling wrap. You will sweat so you may wish to place a layer of nonstick gauze first. I was in tears, on the couch in frustration and exhaustion. My husband had never seen me so miserable so it freaked him out. So found the wrap trick and figured, why not try it? ( found this blessed group too!) Danged if it didn't work. First real night sleep in weeks! Used this method for a few weeks until the worst of that seems to have passed. Good luck. 13 weeks and there are still good days and bad.But all in all getting stronger.
  • Posted

Suzanne ,it so is I'm using Bio Oil which is really helping this was on the advice of hospital also ice packs or frozen peas 10 mins on 10 mins off 

hope this might help .Im 3/4 weeks post op and swelling is horrible some days depending how much I've stood on my feet .Rest is a big factor and walk a bit and excercise .Its a long job so I've been told . Hope this might help.

• Posted

I had this its the swelling that stretches the skin taut....rest n ice..lots of arnica cream x
  • Posted

Hi guys

Just thought I'd post some hopeful news smile I actually slept for five hours straight last night!!! First time since I came home from hospital. Difficult to say why.....a number of factors probably. Like, the weather has gone cooler, my daughter was staying overnight (it was so good to see her), I had some cheese and crackers before bed.....Otherwise, just sheer good luck combined with total exhaustion!! 

Anyway, thought you may like to hear a bit of good news. It may or may not happen again.....Right now I'm in a state of kind of shocked elation...smile

All the best everyone xx

• Posted

Congratulations. I slept better last night too. Doesn't it feel wonderful? Maybe the start of a good thing.
    • Posted

I too slept better last night got 5 1/2 hours and went back over lot quicker. Don't feel just as tired today. Lets all hope this is the start....
    • Posted

Hi all

Sadly I couldn't sleep again due to daughter getting up early to go out, so still feel exhausted, but the very idea that 5 hours sleep in one go is possible, has cheered me immenselysmile

That said, my knee is much stiffer today. Think it set in one position overnight and it doesn't want to get going again......so I'll be rubbing and encouraging it and hoping for the best.

Good luck all x

• Posted

I hope so too. I am going back to work in two weeks. Hate to do it on no sleep.
  • Posted

I agree Suzanne, I'm 9 weeks tomorrow and there is no way I could go back to work the way I feel. I get so tired as the day goes on, need quite a few good sleeps. Are you going back phased return or?

I'm not back till 12 weeks as I am on my feet 8 1/2 hours a day 5 days and been old not to think g back till at least then. Take careeres to a good nights sleep night!! s x

• Posted

Hi guys, I'm back to work next week which will 4 weeks after my ACL removal, stitches in my meniscus, drainage of fluid after my op 5 weeks previous to this. My consultant thinks I will be OK to go back, I am a learning support at a college, he has written a letter to say I need to elevate it when I'm sat and extra time to get to class. I have also been told when I get home in the evening to do nothing apart from ice and elevate it. Still nervous about going back as I haven't been into work since before Christmas.
    • Posted

I Am Going Back 5 Hours A Day For A Few days. I sit most of the day and can stand, put my leg up and on ice. I actually am afraid to go back.
    • Posted

I'm afraid to go back too, once you are back that is it, I'm a teaching assistant an on my feet all day with 5 year olds, but going to see how I go.

Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.