7 weeks since TKR, still have pain in my shin.

Posted , 9 users are following.

It's been 6 weeks plus 6 days since my TKR. My knee it's self does not hurt, however my shin and femur is still quite painful, also I still can't walk with bending my knee, I'm seem to be mentally walking with it straight, which is also hurting my hip. I'm scared of my knee giving way if I walk with it bending. I can bend my knee to 92 degrees. I won't get any more bend as the surgeon said that would be my maxiam. I've not had physiotherapy for 2 weeks and don't have any until Friday the 8th July. I haven't seen my surgeon since I left hospital and don't have an appointment with him until 25th July. Please any advice would be great. You have helped me previously.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had that shin pain too... It started pretty painful, but over time got better slowly and now (12 weeks out) no shin pain! Your mileage may vary but I think that shin pain is pretty common.
    • Posted

Hi Susan I too am in England in Dorset I can't understand why you've had no PT they came to me every day in hospital and so did the surgeon they then booked me to out patients for PT once a week I too am worried about the bend the best advice one PT gave was to get a small skate board (£9:50 Argos) to push back and forth in a chair ! No going down the high street LOL Hope you get a little better each day isn't it slow it's driving me mad I do have other problems but this is the worse take care C

• Posted

You're right, shin pain is common, I found that really painful the first few weeks,especially when I laid on my bad side, which I had to do occasionally due to back problems. But it did finally go only to come back a few weeks ago, as I have had a different type of surgery, and not been able to walk or excersice much.

The shin pain is back eleven months post TKR, so as soon as I am able I will be doing the knee exercises, it's a long term thing.

Michelle, your new knee won't give way, it's hinged and strong, not like your old one was.

Pease don't let the worry stop you walking properly.

• Posted

Hi Chris, I was recommended a skate board too and used it religiously. I felt it really helped with my bend. My kids laughed at mum aged 50 having a skate board! !
    • Posted

Hi Susan. Thank you for replying. I'm pleased the shin pain is known to others as well. I feel totally reassured. And being 7 weeks post op I know it is pretty early in recovery. I will just continue to try my best and try to speak with my consultant today. All the best to you with recovery.

• Posted

Hi ya Laura. My new knee has given way on me about 6 times now.. and it scares the life out of me, it's quite painful when it does. I had the smiles custom built knee, if that means anything to anyone. I do use a skateboard as suggest on here. I have found that very helpful. I am getting an exercise bike this week, however I'm not sure I will be able to do a full cycle due to the limited bending I have. I hope I can. I feel for you having the shin pain as well. I hope your recovery well otherwise. Thinking of you

• Posted

Hi Chris. My pysiotherapy here really is not the greatest. Far to many patients to physiotherapists. I do have a stake board and have found that extremely helpful. I did have physio in hospital everyday in hospital. I was in hospital for a week, I then went 2 weeks with none as no appointments. I have had 3 half hour sessions since. I'm glad I push myself to do all exercises at home. I am sure we will both do our very best with the bending. I wish you a good recovery. You are doing great. Thinking of you through this painful recovery .

• Posted

Hi Michelle I'm doing my best with exercise but I think not as much as you but your few words on bending has given an extra push so thank you and good luck 

• Posted

Great idea about the skateboard. I am saving that in a list I have going of 'tips from the forum'. My surgery is in 2 weeks.

Thanks.

• Posted

I am looking at inexpensive skateboards online (in the U.S.)   Target has them all the way from 17" up to what seems to be a standard 31". Any tips on what size to buy or does it not matter? Thanks. 

• Posted

Hi ya. The smallest one will probably be best however I used a full size one as we already had one. It worked just as well. It really does work a treat. I just kept pushing myself.. good luck with your recovery. It really is slow process. Don't expect to much to soon and you won't be disappointed. All best to you

• Posted

Hi Cynthia get the smallest one, when my kids knew i was getting a tkr their present was the skateboard.
  • Posted

Michelle, even easier way to exercise is put a carrier bag on the floor just in front of your foot when sitting down, all you do is slide your foot back and forth on it. Lay on your bed and raise the operated leg about 8" off the bed, keep it there for for count of 10, back down and do 9 more. Bend bad leg and slide it towards yout bum, repeat 10 times. Sit in dining chair, pull bad leg under you by pulling it with good leg. Stand behind same chair, bend knees and Bob down, 10 times. Also raise up on tiptoes holding onto back of chair. Do all ten times and repeat all 3 times a day. Hope you can understand!!  Take care 

• Posted

Wow thank you so much for all the great exercise. I will find some of these difficult as I have an ankle fusion to my right ankle which is the opposite leg to my TKR. I find standing on tiptoes very HaRd to do... I will most certainly give them all a go starting from now. Be back later after I've done some of these exercise ?? I can not thank you enough. I will post more on my developmental on Friday after I have seen my physiotherapist for the first time in 3 weeks. Thank God for all you kind wonderful people.

• Posted

Thanks, Lucie. Will save these for post op and see if there are new ones also from PT. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.