7th day codeine withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all. I am just looking for some support at the moment as going through this alone at the moment. Have abused codeine based pills over last 2 years taking up to 40 pills of panafen plus or nurofen plus (not cold water extraction) any Australia laws have changed and now require prescription for these pills. I took my last 5 pills on Monday 29th January 2018. The last 7 days have been a roller coaster but I can't see the end in site. I am feeling a lot better physically today since the last 6 days and finally had a decent sleep last night. I have been chewing 5 melatonin tabs each night and limit lights TV phone etc hr before bed. I work full time 60+hrs a week but could not work on my 2nd to 4th day. Any one else in my position or further along the withdrawal path.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, we are both basically in the same position right now.

I am now on day 8 with my last 7 tablets being taken last Sunday.

I have been addicted for 10 years.

Today I hit up the chemist for hydralites, multi vitamins, probiotocs and I went to a health store and got some passionflower tea (I was told the tablet form is best and easiest but they were out of stock).

Up until now I wasn't doing anything to help myself this week with the detox and I started feeling down last night so I decided to help my body along today.

I haven't had a chance to have the passionflower tea yet but have heard good things about it.

Good luck hon! Every hour is an hour closer to freedom and a real life again.

• Posted

Awesome to hear you are kicking butt. I am flattered with the hun endearment but should let you know I am male lol. Have you been sleeping okay? I have 2 young children 1 and 2 so life's hectic and just wanting to get through this for them to be a better parent and partner for my wife.

• Posted

Lol sorry I did assume you were female (no idea why) but regardless I call everyone that without thinking.

Haven't done well with sleep yet but am hoping for better tonight as I did manage to get some last night in between waking up swimming in sweat. So don't be surprised if you have increased sweating.

Am feeling better today and am so far holding down my fluids.

I have two kids too but mine are teens so it's easier for me.

You are so close, 7 days is great. I have heard that day 3 and 4 is the hard part physically and so after day 7 things get easier.

I haven't told anyone in my life about this, does your wife not know either? If not then it must be hard on you.

Your family are going to be so happy to have you back in good shape!

I am here if you need to talk.

Take care.

• Posted

Thanks nicnack I do appreciate it. No she is clueless with what's going on which makes it hard as I know I am lying to her. I am scared she would be disappointed if that makes sense. I have been sweating on and off but found the last 2 days manageable. Yeah I have looked at a fair few timelines and trying to stay positive lol. Once again appreciate you reaching out and I'm also here if you need a chat

• Posted

Damn lost my post.

I completely understand about not telling after hiding mine for so long and still doing so.

I imagine though that your wife has an idea at the least that somethings up.

Maybe it would help her to know things are heading to a better place and soon? Obviously support for you would kick ass too.

But I get I don't know jack about you guys and your life so maybe it wouldn't be helpful either.

My day 8 is still going reasonably well and hopefully yours will be good too!

• Posted

She definitely knows something is not right as I can't hide the discomfort easily.

Did you have any luck with the passionflower tea at all?

Worked 13hrs yesterday with a few weary moments but all and all not unachievable.

Hoping you're doing well on your 9th day 👍

• Posted

Hi Lust2dust,

Truly awesome work so far! And you are an absolute soldier for being at work though this, I was down and off work for 17 days before I could muster the energy to go back!

I too was an enormous fan of nurofen/Panafen plus and it almost killed me.

From my own withdrawal experience and the experiences I've seen others go though, the worst of it should start to pass soon. It took a couple of weeks but one by one the symptoms started to pass. First the sickness and diarrhoea stopped, then the night sweats stopped at about 3 weeks, then finally energy levels returned to normal at about 4-5 weeks. After 6 weeks I was back at the gym and smashing life (:

You can do this and every day will get a little easier xxx

• Posted

Thanks for reaching out sezzum, means a lot and as you probably know it's nice to know you're not alone in this journey. I am feeling pretty good if I am being honest but know I still have a long way to go. My fitness is definitely something I would love to put time into so should be my next addiction hopefully. Thanks again for taking the time to message me x

• Posted

You are most welcome and please feel free to message me if things get tough or if you have any questions (although it sounds like you're already smashing it!) (:

You most certainly are not alone, there are more of us than anyone knows. Good news is we can all help each other get through the cruddy bits xx

• Posted

I do kinda have a dilemma. I have had a constant headache at all times which was initial reason I found my DOC. since quitting cold turkey I found myself having 2 x panadol and 2x nurofen each morning noon and night. Did you battle headaches afterwards? Headaches aren't Terrible but just constant? I had a Dr's appointment yesterday and he basically skipped the question when I asked. So now I'm thinking do I deal with the pain a few days without Otc medicine and hope they're rebound headaches?

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean! Recurring tension headache was a big factor in me chasing the pharma dragon!

I'm not sure if the headaches i experienced in detox were as a result of the detox or if i would have experienced them anyway, but extra hydration helped and i also see a physio to keep my back in check and i only get headaches now when I'm not remembering to drink enough water.

Does that help? X

• Posted

All information definitely helps! Still taking the paracetamol and nurofen as headaches persist but think I have to stop them for a few days to see if they're the actual cause. Hydration has always been an issue as I'm one of the weirdos that dislike the taste of water. Today is day 14 for me so pretty proud. Little improvements every day but still a long way to go. I am a little concerned in relation to Paws as I have struggled with depression for years and still do. Currently on anti depressants so not sure if it's a good thing or a hindrance

• Posted

I was taking Effexor for depression whilst detoxing and for some time afterward. Honestly I have no idea whether they helped or not but I do know I got through it when I was taking them. I tapered off them a couple of months after.

Man 14 days is a truly heroic effort!!  (: it's nice when the little improvements start to happen, you still feel yuck but at least you start to have hope that things will get better (:

I honestly think water could be a factor with your headaches, have you tried soda water with a bit of lemon or lime? I hate normal water too so that's my way of tricking myself into drinking it but kind of feeling like it's soft drink (:

• Posted

Day 4 here feeling pretty s****y but better than yesterday. This is the fourth time I've tried cold turkey but with the new laws and only having two drs surgeries in town and both knowing I have a codeine addiction I have no choice but to stop. Yesterday was the worst I felt like my skin was crawling my arms and legs were so wrestlers and non stop sweat I had awful stomach cramps. Today my anxiety is pretty bad. I just want to feel calm and happy again and I wonder if I will ever feel that way again. I'm just hoping it gets easier but I also know I'm in the very early stages

• Posted

Congrats on the 4 days so far! I have also tried a few times but found it way too easy to get some from the chemist in the past, so the new laws have definitely been a benefit in me lasting this long. Day 4 and 5 sucked for me also but kept reading different posts to stay motivated. I started feeling semi normal around day 7/8. Its hard not to feel hopeless during withdrawal, it definitely gets easier and you will smile a little more each day. Thanks for sharing your progress
    • Posted

Hi Vegas1987 (: 4 days is already such a huge effort! And like Lust2dust said, day 4 seems to be the hardest point of detox. Try not to overwhelm yourself, this is tough and the anxiety truly sucks but it does pass along with the other less pleasant symptoms.

Stay hydrated and don't be too hard on yourself, there are so many of us who got caught in this trap but we're getting through it and you will too.

Keep doing what you're doing and stay strong xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.