8 days after TKR...I'm having these intense like bee stings come all of a sudden

Posted , 10 users are following.

These are sharp sudden pains around my knee cap a and about send me thru the roof when they hit, are they nerves coming back or what is going on.

.geeeeeezz they hurt and I have a pretty pain tolerance.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Healing may be still going on up to two years postoperatively - it may be that there is a bulid-up of lymph fluid causing the tissue to swell and become stiff.

Physio could help or aids like compression stockings.

• Posted

i think they are nerves! After I had knee surgery in the back of my leg they cut allot of nerves and I would feel what felt like a bee sting down my leg along the incision line. I would scream when they would happen it hurt sooo bad just like a wasp sting!
  • Posted

I'm recovering from a totally different type of surgery at the moment, and have sudden sharp pains, I just put it down to post surgery recovery,they do make me jump though, and are most unpleasant.
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte I'm on day 8 too and have had like fizzy electric shocks down rthe incision. Been told it is muscle reparation. Going for first physio this pm. Not sleeping well and have constipation. They say it only gets better!
    • Posted

Wow I'm on my 4th physical therapy appt today.....still can't get my quad muscle to cooperate either. ...it's better than it was but still can't lift surgical leg without help...
  • Posted

Sounds like nerves trying to regenerate to me.
    • Posted

That's what I am thinking too.....they are so spreasy out that it makes sense. .
    • Posted

I will have the same thing happen.  An out of the blue "what was that" pain.  Hopefully, few and far between 👍
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte,

I hope that your pain is decreasing as the days come & go.

I had my PKR exactly a week ago today. Ice has been my SAVING GRACE during this healing process.

I hope that you get some relief soon.

I hurt the most when I get up from a resting position. Them about 5mins. Of intense pain and me lightly rubbing the knee, it wears off.

This is not as painful as I thought it would be. But my nights are still rough.

Take care & this is hoping u have pain free days.

• Posted

Thx Sassy....pain is better during day but nights are hard to get situated...I was having that same pain getting up, but I found if I went ahead put weight on it , it actually stopped that pain.....I dealing with a little depression today...no friends have even been by to just say Hi, my kids work and live out of town and I just having a really down day....came outside to sit and hope some sunshine would cheer me up.....thx for the encouraging words...
    • Posted

Nights are hard.  I wake up and it takes me a minute to figure out which way to turn for the least amount of pain.  The night is about 3-4 episodes long.😥
    • Posted

Make sure you are taking your night meds + a relaxant.  When you wake at night, keep as still as you can, let the pain wash over you,it will ease down to a point that lets you move to a more comfortable position and drift back to sleep.  Don't get out of bed, don't put on the lights, just lay there. Father. Couple of times you will get used to doing this and you will wake up better.

do you not have neighbours that could pop in.  Now the weather is getting better, do you have a park near you, listen to music/audio books through earphones as it takes your mind off the constant pain

• Posted

Charlotte,  by all means listen to sueisobol on the night time stuff.....think about it let the pain wash over you.  Very slow and minimal movement..you will fall back to sleep.  She helped me to get more sleep this way.

pam

• Posted

Charlotte,  how are you feeling?  You have a long road ahead.  We all understand feeling alone and depressed...we have been there.

pam

• Posted

Better today, staples were removed which released alot of pressure I was feeling...

Still a little depressed at times...but better. Thankyou for Asking...

• Posted

Yeah, for getting the staples out.  I understand that in itself can be painful.  I am in the states and did not have staples...the glued me back together.

the depression feelings will come and go....you do realize you are depressed from the pain.  Being in pain causes the depression along with lack of sleep.  I remember early on in recovery crying a lot....my hubby would just freak at first.  Then he would just come and hold me close and let me cry till I was done.  Then He would give me a big smile and ask if I was better.

please find yourself something to do to occupy your mind.  Whatever it is you enjoy....reading, drawing, coloring, painting, sewing.  This will make a big difference...you have to have something else to focus on.  I am actually sewing an Advent Calendar Tree and the 24 little ornaments for a gift for one of my grandchildren.  It is all done by hand...and this has been a wonderful distraction for me.  I am on ornament #24.  Will start on the tree by next week.

keep talking to us Charlotte......we are all here for each other.

Pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.