8 days post op

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi I'm new here I had a posterior/anterior and vaginal vault prolapse repair and sacro spinous fixation 8 days ago and oh my goodness I wasn't expecting it to be this sore :-( one of the nurses at the hospital tutted when I said how sore I was and said it couldn't possibly be that painful which has made me worry that I'm over reacting :-(

Has anyone had the sacro spinous fixation??? I have got the most intense and burning pain in my right buttock and wondered if this was normal??

I know I mustn't expect too much too soon but I suppose I'm worrying because of what the nurse said and a couple of family members are making quite light of the situation and making comments about me being back to doing stuff around the house and right now that's the last thing I'm up to.

Thank you in advance for listening

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I have not had any surgery yet but eventually I will probably have to have a repair to my prolapsed rectum. I had to reply to you as I am sure you are not alone in having such pain after a very big operation. The Nurse was very unsympathetic & I don't think you should take any notice of he attitude. I bet she hasn't had anything like it done! Unfortunately, if some people can't see that you have had an op (i.e leg in plaster) they do not understand what you have had done. You take it easy & take the advice that all the lovely ladies on here have shared. Take care. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, I'm sure it'll all gat better in the end I just wasn't as prepared for the pain as I thought I was!!!

Good luck in the future If you get yours sorted by op :-)

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi,

I have not had a sacro spininious op but what i have heard the pain that you are experiencing is normal. Sometimes nerves are disrupted and they can take a long time to settle down. Keep up with the painkillers and obviously drink plenty water for your badder and take sedakot or other laxative for bowels. You might find a warm wrapped up waterbottle will help with the buttock pain. Everyone takes different times to heal. You have been through alot! Take care of yourself and rest. The nurse who tutted has not gone through it and cannot feel your pain and worry. Hope you feel better soon and sleep well tonight with the hot waterbottle. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, yes I've been clinging on to my hot water bottle for dear life, not sleeping very well at the minute as I can't get comfy at all, mind you I'm finding sitting up the most challenging thing as the pain intensifies so much :-(

Thanks again

• Posted

I have just read your note and it could have been me writing 3 1/2 months ago. I had exactly the same operation on oh my goodness like you I couldn't believe how bad I felt afterwards.  The worse thing for me was the buttock pain as this was so unexpected.  I knew I would be sore but the buttock pain was almost excruciating! I ended up contacting the consultants secretary in the end as I was so worried the nerves had been damaged in the op and it would never get better.  My consultant was very reassuring and rang me at home and gave me an appointment to see him at the hospital.  He said about 10% women who have this op experience this level of pain and said it was due to inflammation of the nerves and ligaments as there were stitches through the sacrospinious ligament.  He promised the pain would go but said it could take up to four weeks - and unfortunately it did take this long but the good news is it did stop.  I had to take codeine for a while just so I could get some relief to sleep.  Another huge problem is constipation so you must keep taking laxadol or similar. I do feel for you as I also experienced a lack of understanding from others.  But you must make sure you take what help you can and rest as much as possible.  I am absolutely fine now - no pain but I still don't lift anything heavy and sometimes get a bit of stinging if I stretch too much.  Good luck and do ask any questions you need to.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your replies I'm glad I've found someone else who's been through it....I thought I was going mad!!! The other surgeries I've had in the past have been very painful but nothing like this!!!!

Every time I walk the pain between my legs and buttock is horrendous and because we have a spiral staircase the physio at the hospital advised I stay upstairs for the first couple of weeks so I'm near the loo and don't have to negotiate the stairs every time I need to go...which is a godsend really!!

The constipation was awful at the weekend but I'm taking meds daily for that now so it's helping although I've noticed it takes a lot lot longer to go now than it did before the op!!

I know it'll get better in the end it's just a relief to know that I'm not on my own.

Thanks again :-)

• Posted

Hi,I had sacrospinous fixation with an anterior repair 7wks ago,it is still giving me lower back pain and I can only sit for half an hour Max and that's with a special cushion to sit on,I had a posterior repair about 2 to 3yrs ago again with fixation and can remember it took 6 to 12mths to recover properly. Hope this helps,take care
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply it's reassuring to know that I'm not going mad and that what I'm experiencing is to be expected!! How is your recovery going this time??

I'm having a horrible day today feeling really rough and incredibly sore down below every movement is agony :-( hopefully it'll pass quickly!

Thanks again

Take care of yourself too

• Posted

Hi,my recovery is slow this time round as I still have another rectocele to be sorted. I have posted on this site before a while ago,but in short I first had an anterior repair around 3yrs ago using synthetic mesh, followed by a posterior repair with spinal fixation using synthetic mesh a few months later,however synthetic mesh caused serious back pain probs and both the meshes were removed a year or so later,this latest anterior repair with sacrospinous fixation was performed using biological mesh which is much safer.These ops are a much slower recovery rate than surgeons tell you as you will see from other postings on this site,however if you refrain from lifting,pushing,pulling and bending to lift anything for the first few months it does help the healing process,having said that I (and lots of others)have refrained from doing these things a lot longer,even tho you might feel strong enough in yourself,its better in the long run to refrain and avoid further prolapses.Take care,keep in touch.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, I know what you mean the doctors that I've spoken to completely played down post operative pain and gave me the impression that it would all be tickety boo.....I think we all appreciate a bit of honesty really!!

I've had a trip to the Drs this morning....I have a nasty infection that's come on in the last 24 hours and feel lousy they've upped my pain meds and some nice strong antibiotics!!

Take care

• Posted

Hi Diane,

Just read your post and hope you feel better soon. You have gone through alot. I have not long had a sacrhysteropexy uterus prolapse op which is synthetic mesh fixed to the sacrum area/tailbone with staples and stitches and is covered by skin.  Just hope i do not have any back problems! I was assured it would not erode inside or in the vagina as it was done adominally( laproscopic keyhole surgery) And women can even go and have babies as it is a very robust repair. Not that i am planning on having any babies! Was the meshes easy to remove for the surgeons? Where was your synthetic meshes attached too?  Just hope i do not develope back problems!You have certainly been through the mill! I am 5 and a half weeks post op and have refrained from lifting heavy things and will probably always now take care for the rest of my life! I have done some very heavy lifting in the past before the prolapse and that was probably the cause of my prolapse in the first place. I think us woman are always trying to do too much and we really do need to take care of ourselves. I would also reccomend pelvic floor exercises to anyone post op when ready of course to prevent further prolapses or ihelp with current prolapses and possibly avoid surgery.Manual pelvic floor exercises are good and there is also a device called a kegal ultra 20 (info online) I have found the whole experience of my surgery very tramatic and worrying but we must focus on recovering, taking care of ourselves, and pelvic floor exercises for the rest of our lives. I hope all goes well with you and do look into that kegal ultra 20. I bought one before my surgery as i had a mild cysterocele and very slight rectocele but it was the uterus prolapse i had to have surgery as i was told by two gyns that pelvic floor exercises will not lift the uterus up as it was along way down. i sometimes wish perhaps i should of tried pelvic floor exercises for longer but i think i worried to death things were going to get worst so opted for the surgery choice and to be honest i am will probably always be worried about how long the surgery will last now. But i cannot keep beating myself up about it all and need to get back to normal living. We never know what is round the corner in our lives and i guess we will have to deal with problems when or if they come up. Goodluck Diane i really wish you a good recovery. x : )

• Posted

Mesh was fixed by sacrospinous fixation(tailbone).Unfortunately the mesh is not easily removed but my colorectal surgeon was excellent.Not all women have a bad reaction with synthetic mesh,so don't worry. I agree we all want to get back to so called normality,the sooner the better,oh to be a man:-)
    • Posted

I know i should not worry but cannot help it! What were your symtoms of reactions to the mesh? I am having such a hard time accepting my repair and sometimes wish i never had it done! It is on my mind all the time and  i cannot wait to feel normal again. Pelvic and backpain do not help with forgetting everything. I am going through peri menopause and peroids are all over the place so that does not help either. I cannot understand why some women get prolapses and others do not. It is so hard dealing with prolapses and so embarrassing as well. It is a thing you cannot talk to family members about. Once you have had the repair you feel so alone and i feel so much for all what us ladies are going through. I really feel their anxiety& pain as i am going through it too. Hope you are improving and i wish you well soon! 
  • Posted

Hi. Just joined this Group. I had a sacrospinus fixation and posterior fascial repair two weeks ago. All went well, had it done under spinal block and came home after two days. I look and feel really well BUT the pain in my anus, buttocks and pubic bone area is horrendous. Every morning I dread having a bowel movement (taking Lactulose as constipation an ongoing problem) as pain awful. It hurts to sit, stand or walk too far. My family are brilliant and tell me how early in the healing process it still is but I worry the pain will never go. It is far worse than having had a total hysterectomy! I just really want to know how other people found it. My pain threshold is very high so for me to be like this is very unusual. Thanks.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm new on here. I had anterior, posterior and sacrospinous fixation done 4 weeks ago. I can't believe how difficult it is to sit upright. How long does the pain last around the belly button area? It's not the easiest op to recover from is it 🙀 The pain in my right buttock is finally easing off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.