8 months post TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Knee feels quite good, however walking with limp although i believe i am walking properly, i have now over the last few weeks ended up with relative lower back pain. The more i walk the more painful my lower back becomes, Swimming does help to alleviate the pain, have been to a chiropractor but with no difference to my back. Any suggestions (other than keep swimming and do less walking)

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

if you're walking with a limp, that could be the reason for the back pain. Did the chiropractor take any x-rays? I'd do some simple back stretches, ensure you're sitting correctly, keep mobile and if it doesn't improve, see your GP.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/lower-back-pain-exercises/

• Posted

You may not be able to do the bottom to heel if you can't kneel. Instead you can either lie on your back and hug your knees to your chest or sit in a chair, bend forward, claps your ankles and try to,get your chest as close to your knees as possible.

• Posted

Lynda, thanks for your reply, i will start to incorporate the exercises as shown on your email page into my daily routine.

Note: the chiropractor did not take any X-Rays

• Posted

X-rays and a spinal scan were the first things my chiropractor did. They showed I had lumbar scoliosis and degeneration of the spine. They manages to reduce my scoliosis by half. The exercises will help stretch out the back and build up the muscles, but I would recommend getting an x ray just to see if there are any other issues with your spine.

• Posted

Hi I am 9 months post op and I have lower back stenosis . I had x-rays and a MRI. Working with my chiropractor, and I also have had a limp. He helped me with this also. He showed me how to walk and do quite a few exercises. Keep strengthening. My extension was helped by a brace which helped with walking and I am still doing all the exercises for the knee . I am learning everything is connected. Back issues related to knee and foot in my case . I had knee pain on the outside of my left knee and pain would radiate up to my my back and I was not walking enough or properly. I thought my knee was causing my back pain but we find through MRI of my spine this was not the case. I would get a x-ray or MRI and go back to your chiropractor and he/she can see what is going on with your spine .

You will be feeling better soon but it does take time, and keep telling the chiropractor everything about your back and your knee. Take care

• Posted

I had stenosis also. Needed an LLIF fusion to fix that. One day, no rehab, immediate relief.

• Posted

Paddycakes, Thanks for your reply, i will keep in mind your comments

• Posted

Try Pilates, worked for me. My lower back pain eliminated.

• Posted

James, Thanks for your reply. How long did you use Pilates technique / exercises before your back pain was eliminated?

• Posted

Hi, I noticed an improvement after a couple of weeks, not surprising since I had become rather sedentary, I would say I was free of pain in no more than three months. One thing to note: I stopped Pilates for six weeks after my knee replacement-big mistake, for after six weeks my back pain had started to return. Fortunately restarting the exercises has almost eliminated the pain again. Because of a very slow recovery from the knee operation last November, I am only just starting to walk (with a Zimmer) I would guess that the more mobile I get, the sooner the back pain (more an occasional ache now) will go altogether. Good Luck, Jim

• Posted

I had bad back pain too , went to chiro didnt help much , has gradually improved , seems to be quite common after this op . Keep mobile , do some exercises and it should slowly improve. Could be you are walking differently now .

• Posted

Jenny61596, Thanks for your reply. I believe that i am unintentionally walking differently, although i am trying to concentrate on walking correctly (heel to toe etc), i am also keeping mobile however the more mobile i become the discomfort on my back increases - frustrating because i enjoy walking

• Posted

See if anything here makes sense...

Other Pain After a TKR

The limping is a problem...shouldn't have that at this point. Have you done the muscle rebuild?

Post TKR Exercising

You have to fix those dead muscles that support the knee. That may be part of the problem too. The water therapy is great...so is the Chiro to make sure your spine and hips are aligned. Lots of us get sciatica because of that. Gotta work on that limp...

• Posted

CHICO MARX, Thanks for your reply. Yes i have done the muscle rebuild and still continue with the exercises as designated by the hospital, One of the problems i have with the exercises is eliminating scar tissue to increase my ROM. I have no way of measuring my ROM (probably about 115/120) although i know that it is increasing in value very very very slowly. Yes the discomfort on my back reduces (probably due to endorphin's) significantly on the day i go swimming but returns to normal discomfort the next day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.