8 week Consultant Appointment

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am 8 weeks since my ankle operation on Saturday this week. Next week on Monday I have an appointment with the consultant at the hospital. I still have my walking boot on and this appointment will decide if I can start physio. Does anyone know what will happen at the appointment please as I don't know the procedure. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you. Julie (UK)

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Julie, I know at my 8 weeks I was able to take my boot of and I'm in physical therapy now. it will be 3 months for me tomorrow since my surgery and I'm walking with a slight limp and some pain, but the pain is tolerable they say the more I walk the pain will leave I'm now on a walking cane to help with the limp and I noticed the limp is slowly leaving I will be on the walking cane for 2 weeks good luck to you

• Posted

Hi thank you so much for your reply and for your experience. It has given me some idea of the procedure. I am glad you are getting better. Good luck 🙏

• Edited

Sorry 7 weeks since my surgery an I still have a cast . I am so worried cannot stop crying i have by mistake put pressure on the ankle for balance think i did damage to the ankle. Good Luck Ann

• Edited

At 7 weeks its very unlikely you did damage.

Is it painful and swollen? i fell on my foot at 1 week post op with only a splint on and there was no damage.

• Edited

Ann

I think you will be fine

I slid with my crutches on wet tile after first week of surgery and fell

Ended up with good bruise but that was it

Hate crutches

• Posted

Hi so sorry to hear that. Its very difficult with balance I have come close but haven't done it as yet. I think at 7 weeks you should be OK and not of damaged your recovery but if you get excessive pain more than is normal for you then I would talk to someone about it. I wish you all the best. Julie

• Posted

Thank I try so hard not to put my toe down it is difficult I see the Dr tomorrow he will xray thank you for the reply be safe Ann

• Posted

i started PT around 7 weeks when I went FWB

You can expect PT to help you. You will start out with some stretching and ankle exercises. slowly progress to riding bike, stair climbing easy to climb not so easy to descend

I went 2x's a week for about 6 weeks Many of the exercises are repetitive and you can do them at home

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Sandra thank you so much for your reply. I feel I know have some idea of what physio will involve now thanks to the helpful people on here. Sending my best wishes to you, Julie 🙏

• Edited

hi julie,

for my physio i remember they started off comparing what my good foot could do. so how far i could bend it back, how far i could stretch forward. then they did it with my recovering foot. that determined what stretches i needed. to be honest, i think i have a high pain threshold, the only stretch at the beginning that was most painful was doing a lunge. the other stretches were fine. think i had 4 physio sessions in total. last one was cancelled. I'm now driving again and have been for about 4 weeks. ive not tried running yet though. lol. oh, and as for stairs. you could tell when i was coming down. i concluded it was my body subconsciously getting the weight off quick, so i slowed down walking down the stairs and forced myself to have the weight. first thing in the morning still sounds thunderous but I'm at the point where it doesn't sound like it during the day. i go down VERY slowly when carrying anything as that's how i broke it in first place.

• Posted

Hi thank you so much for the reply. I am glad you are well on the way to full recovery. Your experience is helping me as I truly have no idea about physio. I think I must of been lucky as I am 54 and this is the first break I have had. I am shocked by the lack of information out there and how many questions you have. When this happens too you. Like you I fell down three stairs and the thought of going using stairs terrifies me but I know it's something I have to get on with. I always like to know what to expect. I thank you for your help and send my best wishes to you. Julie 🙏

• Posted

i know what you mean! this was my first break too (33) and i felt desperate for some recovery stories or something. there is very little out there for reassurance, and a lot of the 'help' videos out there are mainly from america. i felt a little frustrated when i asked the social worker person for advice on going up and down the stairs in the cast whilst NWB, she couldn't comprehend what i was getting at. i understood how to actually go up and down, it was actually getting down to the step, and then up at the top that i didn't know, so she sat on the step able bodied and showed me how to scooch up on my bum. 😂 anyway, i worked it out for myself. all i can say is keep at it. i still feel stiff now, and am very aware of how my foot feels. im forever running my fingers over it feeling for bumps, and 'does that feel right' aort of moments. you're doing great. xx

• Posted

Hi thank you for your message. I know exactly what you mean. No one showed me how to navigate the stairs so when I got home I looked for videos on you tube showing me how to do it but they were all American. I watched them over and over but when I came to even go up or down one or two steps. I literally froze and didn't know how to get up or down on steps after years without the break just not thinking about it and doing it. It felt odd. I too worry about my ankle every twinge I haven't had before or checking my toes are warm and wiggling them every day to making sure I could feel my fingers on my leg. I have been nwb for 8 weeks. Its been the longest 8 weeks of my life but hoping soon boot will be able to come off and I can get to the partial weight bearing stage. I do wish there was more online help for us to look at even if just to reassure us. I wish you a speedy recovery. Julie 😊

• Posted

I fell down the last two carpeted steps in my house and broke my ankle in 3 places!

I agree not much mental help out there when you have this type of injury Its the worst thing to not be able to walk and be independent and if its never happened to you its difficult to understand what we go through! I was so happy when I found this site and was able to share my feelings.

I went into a deep depression about 3 weeks after surgery .

My friends meant well but they are walking, working and getting on with life.

Im almost a year into this and I take my time on those stairs now!!!!

I wpuldnt wish this injury on my worst enemy!!!

• Posted

Dear Sandra

What you say is so true my husband 54 years passed away this Dec 19 Feb 16 I fall in the house break my ankle have a cast 6 weeks ankle does not heal properly so major surgery now still in a cast Going tomorrow for xray I am so worried an you are correct friends mean well but i am so done done done . So worried some times I did put pressure on bad ankle if dors not take cast off tomorrow dont know what I will do just venting sorry Ann

• Posted

Sandra I agree I think loosing independence and not being able to do basic everyday things that make up your life is very difficult. It's only been 8 weeks fir me but I too have suffered from depression crying day after day and feeling I wont ever get back to normal. My partner is very kind and looks after me as best he can but he goes to work every day and i don't think he truly understands the frustration of being alone for 12 hours a day and not being able to just do simple everyday things that you want to do. I don't think you can understand fully unless you have been through it. But I am hoping things will get better and I will start to feel more like myself once my boot is off and I can put my energy into getting back on my feet. I wish you lots of luck on your recovery too. Julie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.