8 weeks on 10mg 8 weeks on 20mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi iv been on escitalopram 10mg for 8 weeks and 8 weeks on 20mg with still no improvement im also in the proscess of weaning off xanax . Should i give escitalopram more time or maybe try something else its been a long time i think iv really gave them a good go . Any help would be appreciated

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What is tour dr saying? Everyone reacts differently but 8 weeks seems like a fair shot.

I have three more weeks of the escitalopram to work and then I am going to try something new.

I did Citalopram for 19 years and it was amazing.

I ran out for a week and got back on and my life has been hell ever since. No emotions, suicidal thoughts, panic, anxiety, OcD thoughtS.

my dr finally gave me ativan to help with the panic and anxiety until we can see if thr mrds will work for my depression and emotions.

good luck

• Posted

martin what are you take the ssri for ?

• Posted

these meds dont work right away and they have side effects invthe beginning. i was on paxil for 13 years zoloft for 2 and tried prozac for 1 - 1/2 year they all work for anxiety the prozac itratated my stomach too much. im on lexapro 10 now 2nd day.

what i want you to know is it has always taking me around 4 months to see some improvement and between 6 and 9 months to get back to myself and recover. everone is different. but i do know if you are dealing with anxiety it takes longer to recover because we notice every little detail and blow it out of proportion. i know you dont think so now but you will recover stick with it and let your body heal. meds work so slow!!

search katecogs read some of her post and check out her blog katecogsblog. andrea is right though dont try to fight it by searching all over internet. it only makes it worse. too many negativity out there and everyone has there on opinion and some people have never gone through this snd you will see garranteed anxiety gone in three weeks if you buy my book its bs.

i listened to people who havent gone through this and thats why im here. people say oh you shouldnt take these meds your on wrong med wrong dose blablabla.

info on katecogs blog and this forum has really helped me

hang in there

• Posted

thanks brian i just feel so disheartened because im not seeing much improvement . maybe il hang in for another while .

• Posted

Martin its most likely going to get worse before it gets better.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news bit hang in there and know your not alone .

These meds take a LONG time to work and they take a huge toll in your mental and physical being but once they begin to work you'll start to feel the same again. I am not there yet and have a long road to go as well. Trying to do everything I can to stay positive and get myself through.

• Posted

I am on escitalopram 10mg on week 3. It's going to be a very long journey for me but I am determined to get back to where i was before and live again.

I would even be happy with a version of somewhat who I was before all of this happened. a functionable one to start.

I am trying to do everything they tell me to do. I am working through and accepting the emotions, letting them come and go as scary as they are. I am meditating, reading,staying busy.

I am emotionally exhausted from crying and not sleeping.

BUT I AM determined!

I start group therapy tomorrow!

• Posted

i hear yei want to give up sometimes but den maybe i just need to keep going and hopefully something good will happen in couple of weeks its a hard life having a bad headbut we will get der

• Posted

its so hard and so scary!

unless someone has lived it they truly do not understand the horriffic places that anxiety and panic take you and how hard it is to stay focused on getting better!

Its a vicious cycle because anxiety feeds on fear and you have to try and face the fear so the anxiety gives up but that is sooooooo much easier said than done.

Are you on any type of benzo for the panic and anxiety?

• Posted

im on xanax have been on 1mg but wanted to get off so thats why im trying lexapro

• Posted

is escitalopram LEXAPRO? I think you should have shown an improvement. PROZAC may be a better option. i take lexapro with WELLBUTRIN maybe thats something to consider

• Posted

Hi martin i am on week 3 of the escitalopram.

i soent 19 years in celexa(citalopram)and never had a single issue. I ran out and cound nkt get back on for a week BIGGEST MISTAKE of my life!

i went back on and after 3.5 weeks of extremely severe anxiety and Panic my dr put me escitalopram. I am also on ativan to help get me through the panic and it has helped.

They say it can take 8-10 weeks for some to feel relief and feel the meds doing their job.

ask your dr for a benzo to help if the anxiety is bad.

STAY OFF THE INTERNET looking for answers. everyones time line is different.

i feel blessed to have found this forum and only come here to speak to the few of us on here. The stories and experiences out there leave me more panicked.

As scary as it is let the emotions come but dont feed the fear. This is so much harder said then done.

Brian posted some great links that have really help me to start underStanding why this is happening to us. see bottom of post.

I listened to this last night and I am

determined to put this in action!

For some meds alone will not help us at least im

learning that is the case for me. You may be different we all are. I am starting an intensive outpatient therapy session which is five days a week as well as the group therapy to try to understand where my anxiety and panic come from because I know it’s not just from the medication side effects alone.

In this audio by claire weaks I learned that we need to accept what has happened and not constantly dwell on the fact that we are not better day after day because the more we fight the fear and anxiety emotions and the more we run and try to free ourselves of them the stronger they get. The way to start getting past them and healing is to accept its happening, amd allow yourself to feel the emotion and allow them pass through our body. If we continue to cave and crumble it grows stronger and we continue to be stuck in the cycle.

This is not an easy task nor will it be a quick fix. Like everything it will take time.

please listen to the following podcast I hope it helps.

I am

only 5 weeks into this hellish journey so im no expert but i plan on sharing everything that has helped me no matter how small.

I have also been using two mediation apps

MINDFUL(i also have the workbork) and INSIGHT TIMER. They help as well mindful is $60.00 a year insight is free.

I have also added a hefty VITAMIN regime

Vitamin B 6 and 12

Vitamin B complex

Magnesium, Calcium and zinc

Chamomile extract

Ashawanda

Vitamin c

D-3

Remember your not alone you can beat this!

not over night not in a few weeks maybe not in a few months.

we are all here for you!

If youd like to you can call or text anytime!

I will message my number if you ever need me

stay strong!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.