8 weeks post op and pain and pressure are not improving

Posted , 9 users are following.

Depression and regret over having had this surgery is taking over.  8 weeks ago, I had A&P, perineum repair, bladder sling, and back of uterus sutured in place and, using my own tendons/ligaments, to anchor to sacrum.  Being patient has been difficult, but after 6 weeks I started to feel better.  Anything I do physically, however, results in worsened and long lasting pain and pressure.  I also have more pain, and swelling I think, on left side of outer part of my vagina.  I tried acting a bit more upbeat and normal last weekend with my family - went out to dinner, light housework and cooked dinner on Sunday.  Result this week is mild pain upon awakening that will become full tilt if I do much of anything.  Laying on couch most of day and still have pain and significant discomfort.  The fact that I am 8 weeks post op and recovery has stagnated over last few weeks is terrifying me.  I worry that this is basically it....chronic pain/discomfort.  I can't even take the dog for a simple walk.  The price to pay is to high and long lasting.  I do see surgeon this Thursday, 2 more days, but have lost optimism that my outcome will be good. I waited 13 years before having courage to go ahead with this surgery.  I always feared that I'd gain new set of problems.  Right now it seems that my fears are coming true and I don't know how to cope.  My husband is losing patience with my misery and I can't blame him.  If this surgeon doesn't have logical answers Thursday, I don't know what I'll do next.  And each of the 3 times I've met with him, he has been in a rush and told me that he was out of time!

I write b/c I'm losing faith as reading on this site early on was so so helpful, but most women seem to have much reduced pain and ability to resume near normal activity by week 8.  Or, at least they feel they are well on their way, which is precisicely what I do not feel.

I'm not just looking for someone to respond and make me feel a little better, but also to point me in direction of what to do if I do not improve over coming weeks.

My sincerest gratitude for reading,

Debbie

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Debbie

I had an anterior repair 14 weeks ago and suffered the same feeling of pressure at the front and pain on doing anything, this started around the 10 week mark, it seems to have eased off, I'm seeing the surgeon again next week. Fingers crossed it's just swelling that's causing your discomfort. Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

So prior to 10 weeks post op you didn't feel as much pressure and pain? Did you increase your activity level significantly? Did you ask about it by phone? I'm glad it's eased a bit anyway. Please post after your next visit with surgeon. I'll be thinking of you...

• Posted

Hi Debbie. Sorry to hear you still have so much pain. I think a lot of consultants are like that, they're good at the surgery part but not good at speaking to patients. (Lack of bedside manners)! It doesn't seem to be in their comfort zone to hear about your pain, maybe it makes them feel inadequate. I suggest you ask for blood tests to see if you have any deep seated infection which needs clearing up so you can heal properly. You must insist if you feel so bad you cannot cope with your pain. Write down everything you want to say and hand the notes to him during the consultation wether it's the "boss" or one of the registrars! They ARE all very busy but can't neglect you like that. Mention that your quality of life is cr**! You can't carry on like this any longer. Best wishes, Poll X rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

My bladder sling was to tight, and my bladder wasn't quite in the right spot. The pressure I felt was constant. I wasnt in real pain but more pressure and it was constant. After getting revision, which I didn't want to do. Waited 7 months after original surgery. I felt so much better. No more pressure. I had rectecele and cystecele stage 4, and the bladder sling. Mesh was ACell from pigs bladder.

Don't know if this helps, it is hard for others when we don't look sick. And that part of our body's is uncomfortable for people to discuss. I do hope you get some answers, and feel better soon.

Grace

• Posted

Debbie, It's ONLY 8 weeks.

You had major surgery, a posterior repair on it's own can gake up to a year to get over. You did too much at the weekend, not surprised you feel awful.

Went out to dinner.

Light housework.

Made Sunday lunch.

For goodness sake, you are supposed to be recovering. Get ready meals, and get someone else to do the light housework, and the washing and hoovering, and the beds and everything else.

You're not giving yourself a chance and will end up having a failed repair and having to go through it again.

Your hubby will be really fed up then.

Please take it easier, the down feeling is due to all the surgery your body has to get over.

Have patience, you will feel better, just take it easier.x.

• Posted

Wow, thanks so much for replies. I didn't expect to see any so soon, particularly b/c I think you ladies are in time zone 6 hours ahead - I live in eastern US.

I have not really overdone anything and have followed all recovery guidelines.  Although more patience is required, the best thing I could have heard is Laura saying it's ONLY 8 weeks.  According to all info from professionals I see here, one should be recovered by now.  From what I've read online, I felt I should be feeling "stronger and better each day".  

I thank each of you for responding, truly... and I will try to feel like less of a loser as I continue to spend most of my time in a reclined position.  How is it that women return to work so soon then?  Never mind exercise or have sex!!! I'm not convinced I'll ever have sex again.  I'm really just hoping now that I'll get to point that is at least eqaul to pre op condition.

Again, please know I appreciate each of you taking the time to reply.  I'll keep reading and learning.  xoxoxo  

• Posted

Your health info in the US is totally different to ours in the UK.

Read some more on these forums, also read the pinned pose, the south tees bit about what to expect.

We are told to rest as much as possible, no lifting twisting, squatting.

probably go back to work on a phased return after four of five months, depending on what your job is .

You had a large amount of surgery and if you want your pelvic floor to not drop again, you have to be careful with lifting and anything that puts strain or pressure on it for the rest of your life.

I know you think you have not overdone anything, but the way you feel is your body  telling you differently.

I'm at nearly a year post rectocele repair, and it's been a tough year. 

• Posted

Wow Laura,

2-4 weeks, 4 being a lot, before women are told they'll be ready to return to work!

I do know about lifting and that is something none of us should do pre and post surgery.

• Posted

Dear Debbie, I had my surgery july 14 2016, a date ill never forget, I was in pain and not myself couldn't do nothing, getting up was a nightmare, I literally wanted to die, the worse expierience in my whole life, ur not alone, everything u expirienced I did also, don't give up!!! Just when I felt good it got worse, was a rollercoaster, finally after 6 months I was good, so PLEASE AHANG IN THERE !!!you will ne ok.God bless you, I thouhgt I was the only one also!!! Worse time of my life and I'm 60.hope this helps you! !!

• Posted

Thank you Dianelou,

So so happy to hear you are finally well. This has been the worst time in my life physically. I've gained a great more deal of empathy for those injured who must spend life in a wheelchair, like our veterans. Although it brings me further down at times, it also makes me realize how selfish I am behaving by being depressed.

• Posted

I felt the same it will pass, I wish I could send u a picture of my stomach when I got home, I looked nine mos pregnant, I was disgusted it took me this long to lose all that don't worry though you will get better, thank God I'm retired cause I would never have been able to go to work.

• Posted

Oh I feel awful for you. I had a similar operation at end of November and at eight weeks still felt very much an invalid. I hobbled about like an old woman and still felt awful at thirteen weeks. I took things very easy thanks to help from my family and good friends but still found it very frustrating to not be able to leave the house, do school runs and go and do my horse. I could not leave the house because of bladder complications. I am now starting to feel a bit more like my normal self at 4 months post op but still need to rest. As others have said it is major surgery but there is light at the end of the tunnel so hang on in there! Just imagine you now have a designer vagina (although have not dared to try mine out yet!!!!!) and when all the swelling goes down provided you take care and rest you will be so glad that you had it done. I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you Angela,

Let me tell you that hearing you weren't right at 8 weeks means so much. It clearly states on info sheet sent home with me that it was a 6-8 recovery. No mention during doctor appointments either of anything beyond that time frame. I did read a few women's posts suggesting longer, prior to surgery, but those scared me so I decided to believe they were very rare exception. I've also read up on post operative depression. It exists, not affecting everyone, but it's real and never mentioned. I took years to decide to go ahead with this surgery and prepared physically and mentally as best I could. I even went so far as taking my dream trip to a yoga retreat in Thailand to be sure I was grounded and clear about what I was going to have done. Believe me, this was not an easy endeavor (2 kids, although not babies, constantly traveling husband and dog). I was well supported though but now that support in dwindling fast. This is primarily b/c not one of us was prepared for me to not be better by now, barring any significant complications. Mentally it is affecting me the most. Being mostly sedentary so long is bringing me way down. I practice(d) ashtanga yoga, which is physically challenging but keeps me healthy physically and emotionally. Funny thing is, the primary sequence is loaded with forward bends and planks.....ugh, can't believe I have to abandon for so long and maybe permanently. I'm also gaining weight. I just turned 49 and know I can't easily take weight off without rigorous exercise.

Excuse my rambling and complaining. I've allowed myself to vent hear b/c perhaps someone else will read who is having similar experience and will less alone.

Your response, and those of others, truly helped me.

With much gratitude for taking the time,

Debbie

• Posted

Dobt feel bad, I'm going on nine mos and still afraid yo have sex!!!

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I did increase my activity but within guidelines, still struggling with pain if I do as much as hoovering and mopping. I return to work in a week so hoping my surgeon can shed some light on what's going on, my appointment is Tuesday, I'll let you know how I get on, I know it's difficult but try and rest as much as you can .

• Posted

Debra, up to this point, has your surgeon said that the pain you experienced was normal? We're you told to just rest more?

I read somewhere, on a "recovery" from this surgery type site that one should take short walks daily and gradually build up to an hour or whatever. I wondered what the build up was all about. I mean, it's not my lungs or legs that need to work gradually to walking for an hour, its pelvic area. And that area doesn't seem to respond to working towards doing more and more. It's more like it's healed or it isn't. I guess I don't understand how to correlate this healing process with something I'm familiar with.

I'll look forward to hearing how your appointment goes next Tuesday and hope you get clear information and good news!

• Posted

Hi Debra

Had my appointment today, my pain has lessened but my uterine prolapse is back unfortunately. Advised to do more exercise to lose weight, continue pelvic floor exercises and I'll be seen again in six months, hopefully you'll have better news when you're seen x

• Posted

Ughhhhh......yuck!  I'm glad to at least hear that your pain has lessened. Since you won't be seen again for 6 months, I hope during that time you can focus on pelvic exercises and drop weight, if that is necessary.  I know it's an ovewhelming task when pain is involved.  I have gained weight over these past months since surgery.  And, as you may already know from my posts, I am struggling with depression and extreme worry.  I went to my general practitioner today and my pulse and blood pressure are so elevated that he prescibed meds.  He did so because it was the same 5 weeks ago.  This is all new post op.  He says it may be due to pain, but feels need to address it either way.  I am not over weight, have always been fit/active and I am a healthy eater.  

I did fill high blood pressure meds though.  I need to do some more reading first.  I think my inability to exercise in the way I'm accustomed is contributing to my stress.(pre-op I was an avid ashtanga yoga practicioner) 

I mention all this because you have six months in front of you before any new decisions will be made.  My hope for you is that you don't get down emotionally, but can instead use the time to get your body in best possible position to confront whatever lies ahead.

I went online this weekend and ordered a full coverage body suit!!!, the kind used by snorkelers or divers.  I know it sounds crazy, but I have to get moving or else I will lose both my body and my mind.  It's still cold, ugly and miserable here in the northeast of the US.  I need suit if I am even to consider going to community pool and swimming laps.  It's the cold water that I can't imagine (even if pool is heated, I'm a wimp).  Years ago, I used to run/jog but when I got pregnant with my first child, I began having braxton hicks contractions at month 4, even if i just did a fast walk.....so I took up swimming and it saved my sanity right up until delivery.  

Believe me, I don't want to swim, and certainly not at the community pool, but need to take some control.  Maybe a new endeavor can help you as well. I truly hope that for you and would love to swap experiences, ideas and sorrows as well.

My best to you, thanks for updating me. 

xoxoxo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.