8 weeks post op and pain and pressure are not improving

Posted , 9 users are following.

Depression and regret over having had this surgery is taking over.  8 weeks ago, I had A&P, perineum repair, bladder sling, and back of uterus sutured in place and, using my own tendons/ligaments, to anchor to sacrum.  Being patient has been difficult, but after 6 weeks I started to feel better.  Anything I do physically, however, results in worsened and long lasting pain and pressure.  I also have more pain, and swelling I think, on left side of outer part of my vagina.  I tried acting a bit more upbeat and normal last weekend with my family - went out to dinner, light housework and cooked dinner on Sunday.  Result this week is mild pain upon awakening that will become full tilt if I do much of anything.  Laying on couch most of day and still have pain and significant discomfort.  The fact that I am 8 weeks post op and recovery has stagnated over last few weeks is terrifying me.  I worry that this is basically it....chronic pain/discomfort.  I can't even take the dog for a simple walk.  The price to pay is to high and long lasting.  I do see surgeon this Thursday, 2 more days, but have lost optimism that my outcome will be good. I waited 13 years before having courage to go ahead with this surgery.  I always feared that I'd gain new set of problems.  Right now it seems that my fears are coming true and I don't know how to cope.  My husband is losing patience with my misery and I can't blame him.  If this surgeon doesn't have logical answers Thursday, I don't know what I'll do next.  And each of the 3 times I've met with him, he has been in a rush and told me that he was out of time!

I write b/c I'm losing faith as reading on this site early on was so so helpful, but most women seem to have much reduced pain and ability to resume near normal activity by week 8.  Or, at least they feel they are well on their way, which is precisicely what I do not feel.

I'm not just looking for someone to respond and make me feel a little better, but also to point me in direction of what to do if I do not improve over coming weeks.

My sincerest gratitude for reading,

Debbie

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi again Debbie. I'm going in for third pelvic floor surgery in May. previous two were prolpased womb and bladder, he did a hysterectomy. Second was, 18 years later, rectocele. This time, vaginal vault prolapse and rectocele again. I'm now 74 a so they've lasted quite well but I do have quite weak pelvic muscles anyway. None of this PT for it all those years ago. My surgeon said it would take 3-4 months before I'm anything like back to normal after this SSF and posterior repair so 8 weeks is very early for all the surgery you had. I would still ask about it at you appt though. We do things differently here in UK I'd guess. If you can take more time off work it would def be better for you and continue to take things VERY easy at home too. Depression can be treated if you feel it's bad enough for that. Keep posting, we're all here for you.  Best wishes, Poll X smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.