8 weeks post TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Everyone

Just wondering has anyone ever just given up and let the knee be as it is?? I am so sick of the pain of exercising everyday to end up and do it all over the next day!  Does not seem like Im getting anywhere. Still at 95%  Doctor saw me at 6 weeks and said " Keep up the good work and go back to work in 4 weeks."  Im not going to be ready for that I work 12 hr days.  Getting so depressed that I am thinking of just leaving my knee as it is. 

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your doing great...I am stuck at 75 at 9 weeks having a mua on the 22nd. ..I feel so unwell..mentally and physically. .I am Tring to figure out what the plan is for after mua and not getting any direction. ..Why does my leg from thigh to foot tingle constantly. ..feels like ants crawling inside...I am so done..Never expected this and now will say I should never of done this...all I want is to walk just enough to see my grandbaby play...
    • Posted

Sandy, when you say your leg tingles like ants crawling, can you see twitching in your muscles also. Four months after my knee surgery I noticed the muscle twitching in both legs. I went to a neurologist, he took tests & diagnosed me with benign fasciculation syndrome. I sometimes think it could of resulted from my nerve block. Never had anything like this before! I am 16 months out from my TKR and it seems to be getting better but not gone. Just wondering what you are experiencing!

• Posted

I don't see twitching I feel tingling inside....I think it's nerve stuff for sure. Looking back after surgery my foot was always blue when dangling and took 2 weeks before I could ankle to lie flat when doing heel slides. ..I think that's when I taught myself how to walk on stilts to be able to walk. .it seems to reduce after I do my excerises but returns within a hour or so. .I notice when I get up the feeling isn't there bit as I get on with my daily routine of (not doing much). It's back

• Posted

Try some OTC Aspercream with 4% Lidocaine or OTC Lidocaine patches.
  • Posted

I get it how do you think I feel this is going be # 6 whether its the first 1 or in my case upcoming # 6 they all stink but provided you do not have any problems it will get better. It may take some time and it is going to hurt somedays absolutely stink but one day it will not hurt as bad the swelling will go down and you will be able to do normal things again just be patient. Whether you like it or not your knee is not on anyone's schedule its on its own and no one heals exactly the same way. Your only at 8 weeks between your 3rd and 4th month you should start feeling better. I will probably singing the blues pretty soon as well next Monday the 18th hopefully me last revision??

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Keep up the good work. I am 22 weeks post op and I’m really feeling the benefit of the TKR. I have a bit of swelling still but the pain is now minimal. I have gone back to Yoga, swimming, body pump and walking. I do remember being 8 weeks and could not see a way out of the pain and got really fed up with the exercises. You must keep going it will all pay off. Excercise, ice and elevate and rest where you can. Good luck x 

• Posted

Hi Louise. I am interested that you do yoga. I used to before TKR but was told never to kneel post op. Do you kneel or modify the exercises ? 

Cheers,

Jenni.

• Posted

I feel your discouragement.  I’m at 6 weeks & it is really painful, plus I now have back problems. But I know so many people who had their 2nd knees done & said it is worth it.  The fact that they would go back to have another knee done amazes me as the thought of doing that right now is a nightmare to me!  I retired a year earlier than I intended to just because of knee & other issues.  I had worked 12 hour shifts too. I’m sorry that you have that added pressure to return to work.  For me I am just depressed because I can’t enjoy the grandkids or go for a nice walk yet.  But the posts from this site give me hope that maybe in 9 months my life will be more enjoyable.  My problem....no patience!  🤨. Grrrrrr!  

You want to gain as much range of motion as possible.  Hang in there!

• Posted

Don't give up it's still early days ice ice and ice it does work. I know it's a chore doing the exercises but it's the only way your knee is to recover. I'm at 11 weeks and not so much pain as uncomfortable. Have more good days than bad so keep on with them and you'll get there

• Posted

12-hour days?  Like "a nurse running the halls"?  Put the following words together in a sentence: snowball, chance, hell.  No freaking way.  Back to work WITHOUT SERIOUS PAIN is done usually in the 4-6 month range...and that's after the ROM work to 0 / +120 AND the quads, gutes and core muscle rebuild.

But you NEVER give up.  The whole thing takes a year...period.  You have to accept that and do the work necessary to achieve a full recovery.  Quitting only keeps you in pain with limited activity for the rest of your life.  Let It Be is just the title of a Beatles song...is has no place in a TKR recovery.

"Never give up!  Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

I am responding to Chico because I know alot of people read his posts. Just want to thank everyone who encouraged me yesterday to not give up on my knee. I had myself a little pity party and now I am back on track. Thanks again everyone

• Posted

Thanks.  We all have "those days"...  Time, work and patience...  Own your recovery...

• Posted

hi there - I remember that feeling so well. Just awful and so discouraging.

What helped me to continue was my mother in law who has had her knee fused straight after having TKR go wrong due to her muscle state. She simply refused to exercise.

seeing how limited her life is now has been a big motivator.

I am nearly two years out and still dont have a normal bend but I can do everything I used to do apart of course from running or kneeling which my surgeon said a no no’s post op.

Please keep going - you will get there. This op recovery is a complicated beast and for some of us is a total marathon.

Good luck !!

Jenni.

• Posted

Don't give up but don't try and do what you feel you can't either. Your body is the best judge of what is doable. So as much as you can without causing further pain and swelling which your brain will react negatively to and produce chemicals making you feel more depressed. Don't compare yourself with the progress of others and check out osources other than this site to get a balanced range of views so you can make your own judgement. And - good luck :-)

• Posted

So ladies are you able to walk aNY distance. I can with my cane walk straight legged about 1000. Feet then need a rest.. this is killing me. ..I want to walk around my bay and enjoy the flowers on my neighbors front steps but it's impossible. .I may use my walker to see if I can get further. ..this isn't recovery this is going backwards

• Posted

First thing you have to do is learn how to walk correctly again...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/walking-after-a-tkr-593409

No kidding.  Heel...toe...  You actually have to think about it as you are walking so you get back into the correct way of walking.

Next, it's not the distance, it's the STEPS!  Read the link...  Track your steps...see your progress.  It takes time, work and patience.  But it really pays off...promise...

PS: It's not impossible...just out of sight right now.  Things get much clearer as time goes by...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.