8 weeks post TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Everyone

Just wondering has anyone ever just given up and let the knee be as it is?? I am so sick of the pain of exercising everyday to end up and do it all over the next day!  Does not seem like Im getting anywhere. Still at 95%  Doctor saw me at 6 weeks and said " Keep up the good work and go back to work in 4 weeks."  Im not going to be ready for that I work 12 hr days.  Getting so depressed that I am thinking of just leaving my knee as it is. 

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh honey, I feel your pain.  But don't give up.  I have felt that way myself, but I keep on keeping on.   I will never ever have another tkr, that I am positive of, but we must exercise our new knees,  it's 😑 but neccessary

• Posted

Also yes Chico is correct.  Heel toe.  My pt's would some days spend 30 minutes just on my walk/steps.  After practicing and practicing it comes to you!

• Posted

My bend improved a lot from 12 weeks onwards as swelling reduced. So keep up the exercises but listen to knee too...little and often, and reducing swelling is key. Rest and exercise...both important.

How swollen is it?

• Posted

Its not swollen much just tight and stiff.  I just get worried because my therapist keeps saying we only have a short window to get it moving(between 6-12 weeks). The way he talks it seems if I dont get it to 120 by 12 weeks I will be like that for the rest of my life because scar tissue sets in and I wont be able to move it further but people on this site say the bend improves even 6 months later.
    • Posted

I'm at 12 weeks and 112,,° the PT reckons it's all to with height an average 5ft 5in she reckons 105°\110 ° above that 112 to 130 but it takes time. Don't push to the point you're crippled with pain yes push and it hurts but doesn't make you cry. Your body and knee know the limit listen to them. I'm new to this but listening to the people on this forum once you hit the 6 month mark it gets easier. So just listen to your body and good luck

• Posted

I went from -14 / +84 at the start to -1 / +123 at 12 weeks.  Heavy duty work at PT and home...it pays off.  Once you get past the ROM piece, you need to rebuild all your atrophied muscles...quads, glutes and core.  This will enable you to walk correctly, regain your balance and give you the strength to do stairs the right way again.

This is some extra help for your ROM work at home (#3 is a KILLER but a guaranteed zero...)

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

This is the muscle rebuild program...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

By the time you get to 6-9 months, you will be feeling a whole lot better.  PS After the muscle work, I got to 0 / +133...so, yes, you can continue making improvements.  Also, some stiffness can last 18+ months; usually occurs when you sit too long and/or not keep the knee active...even years later.

• Posted

Are you in USA?

Seems quite regimented on the physio side...but not un common it seems for people to be told that.

Tightness is a sign of swelling....

Later on, even at 12 months post op, it reduces! Suddenly I saw the shape of my knee😀

Scar tissue I think should be renamed scare tissue...

Seems to be banded around a lot... (oh dear, that wasn't an intentional pun!)

As long as you keep on with the exercises and reduce swelling as much as you can, work on the bending and straightening...little by little it comes.

There is a very small percentage of people who form adhesions excessively, but for majority as long as you keep the knee moving and do your exercises, while also respecting your knee and yourself... should pan out in time I would have thought. No am not a professional though, just basing comment on my own experience. My bend definately continued to improve right up to a year.

Read my journal if you have not already, if you find it helpful. Click on my name and then copy and paste the relevant page info.

Try not to get anxious...it doesn't help at all, but keep up the good work!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.