8 weeks still can't sleep!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

i am now 8 weeks on cit, 2 on 10 mg, 6 On 20. All other side effects have gone bar shaky hands and feeling a lot more positive. Anxiety basically gone. But I still can't sleep. At best I am getting 3-4 hours at night. Went to my counsellor today and she said If it's not making me sleep now it never will. I feel like in total limbo as I have heard stories of people's sleep taking months to get back on track with cit. I know my doctor is just going to want to up my dose but surely if the anxiety is gone at 20 then I mustn't need too? 

Also so hate the thought of having to try another med now I've gotten over all the intial side effects on cit. I am feeling pretty hopeless today. Would love to know if anyone else has been thought this or something similar?? I hate sleep problems before cit but they had gotten better before I started on meds

thanks xx

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try something like Rescue Remedy or Kalms both are over the counter products and may help. You could also try and speak to your pharmacist and see if they have any suggestions. Are you taking one 20mg pill a day or 10mg morning and evening. Remember they both need to be taken after food and the evening one needs to be taken at least an hour before bed.  Sleep deprivation can be very draining so if you try the above suggestions and nothing works I am afraid you will have to return to your GP.
  • Posted

Thanks for replying Gwen, I take my tablet of 20 mg at about 8 in the morning with breakfast. Doctor has also given me zopliclone sleep tablets which I use sparitically as it not a big supply. Yes I'm finding it very hard and feel like if I didn't have the sleep issues everything would be ok. 

I just feel like any other ssri will probably give me the same issue and the fact that the cit is working well with the anxiety I am begrudge to change.

just don't know what the best thing to do is, as can't go on forever without little sleep 

xx

• Posted

I've had sleep issues also. Can go for 4 nights without sleep. I can say that excercise (especially vigorous) makes sleep worse (and not better like we've been told by "experts" for decades) and this change in opinion is now widely accepted by experts, health professionals. I stopped excercise and this helped a lot. Also, sedation is a common side effect of citalopram, particulalry after you take it. If you are affected by sedation after taking it, use it to your advantage, take it before you go to sleep and not in the morning.
  • Posted

Hi Laura, my sleep is okay, but I have upset stomach and feel sick and headaches. I have just increased to 40 mg. Did you have any of these side effects?
  • Posted

Yeah I think the sedation period has passed for me, I suppose there's no harm in trying In taking before It before I go to bed but I get quite shaky before If I go for a few hours pass the time that I take it. Regards to excercise that is interesting as usually find it does help but not all the time. 

I keep wanting ting to ride it out and not give up as any day I could break through the insomnia. But everyday is a struggle when your exhausted. Sometimes I can't even remember what has happened in that day as it's all been a blur through feeling like a zombie. 

Citaloman, how long have u been on ur mess?

Hi Louise, yes I could headaches quite a lot intially but not really the upset stomach. Instead of taking a painkiller I bought this thing called headmeds, you rub it on the temples or wherever the pain is and it works wonders!! You can use it as often as you like too. I got mine in boots.

• Posted

I'm the same!!! Been on citalopram for ten weeks and here I am lying awake at 1 am!!! My anxiety is much better too so I'm persevering with the sleep issues, I used to go to bed and be out like a light until my alarm woke me up!!! I'm going to try nytol or something see if that helps, let me know if you find the cure x
    • Posted

Hi Clara! It is so good find someone who is going through the same thing! Have you been like this the whole time on the meds? Ive been like it from the 7th week, had sleep issues before taking them but they had settled down...like you had absolutely no issues with sleep for months ago! Do you think it is ur anxiety causing it or the meds??Have you been to see ur gp? SOrry for the 20 questions haha xx
    • Posted

Clarra, I was debating on trying Nytol as well. Please let me know if this helps! Xx
  • Posted

Hi Laura and everyone.My son also had trouble sleeping but started taking over the counter melatonin strips and it has worked great!

And the doctor said it is safe to take with Citalopram.We buy it at shoppers drug mart here in Canada.The downside to my update is that my son has yet to return to school on the first day yesterday.His moods have drastically improved all summer but he is still unable to be away from home for a lengthy period of time.Hopefully today will be the day of change.I wish you all luck as well.

• Posted

Doofus, hi there! I am in Canada as well. The Melatonine strips work for your son? I was debating Nytol or Melatonine as well. These 3-4 hours sleep are not good for working at all! Xx
    • Posted

Yes nytol use to work when i was having trouble sleeping before the meds but it doesn't seem to do much now I'm on them which is pity as their totally safe! I must look. Into melatonin also thanks, im sorry to here that about your son and i am positive he well be sooner rather than later! This is toughest road any of us will walk through. Yes 3-4 hours is debilitating for me also robin. How long you been on meds now?? X
    • Posted

Laura,

I have been on them 5 weeks now! 

Today is a Bad day for me.. the air pressure is horrible here and making my symptoms worse! I had a panic attack this morning but was able to get it under control fast! Yay! XX

• Posted

Hi Robin yes they sell them in pill,liquid or dissolving strips at Shoppers.

They are all natural because our bodies produce melatonin but some people lack the right amount.Ask the pharmasist.Hope they work for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.