8 weekspost op tkr feel like im not as good.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone and a happy new year to u all.

as per the title im 8 weeks post op tkr. I felt i was doing ok. But the last week its like a vice  tightening around my knee , and im back to walking with my 1 stick again. I dont mind its just this awful pain and tightening, im atill doin the icing with my cycro cuff and my excercises but . Feel like im going backwards help .... anyone the same ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Its funny you say that iam 6 weeks post op and i have been saying the same thing i feel like im going bacwards i told my pt today .i was feeling good about my healing process and now i feel back to the beginning that tightfeeling. Is back and lots of pain im hoping its just from pt cause there doing all new exercises that are pretty i tense hoping its just healing from that .so i feel you ❤❤
    • Posted

Listen to your knee and make sure you dont overdo it...the knee sets the pace!
  • Posted

Yes i feel exactly the same as you im hoping its just because the exercise im doing in pt is much more intense .hoping its just healing from thatbut i to feel as if i took a steo back not ahead .in alot of pain andmy knee feels very tight iam 6 weeks post op❤❤
  • Posted

I honestly feel the same i can wake up feeling really positive and then literally within a couple of hours everything can change

I feel like someon has clamped a metal contraption on my knee it feels so heavy it is also effecting my hip i know i’m taking to much medication i would give anything to have a full nights sleep

I wish you well

• Posted

I'm 8 1/2 weeks and feel more tightness too. Have the same spot inside part of knee that hurts the most. Tightness over whole knee and alot in muscle above knee. Was wondering if the colder change in weather contributes to this. Going off hydrocodone tomorrow and trying Tramadol. Need to return to work. Jan 12 but still not driven yet, right knee. Still using the walker, cane a bit but when I walk thebleg wants to stay straight so have to concentrate to bend and exaggerate the bending when I walk. Anyone else have that issue walking?

• Posted

Have you got two crutches you could try? I found these good as it helped build up a bit more of a rhythm. I was using two at 8 weeks for any walking over around five minutes outside.
  • Posted

Happy new year. I am 5 months post op and the past few days I am having same problem. Feels like a vice is squeezing my leg. I think it may have to do with getting better and you do more at least I hope so. I just spotted an answer from Chico Marx, I’m going to go read it. Here it is after midnight and I am back to not sleeping again😩Good luck to you,  I’m having the second one done the end of March but if this keeps up I may change my mind

• Posted

The tightness is totally normal.  Most people notice it very infrequently by a year but it may linger a bit as long as 18 months.  You're in the worst part of it now...it does get better.  Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) is a great topical anti-inflammatory...especially at bedtime.  Check for side effects and interactions with other meds you're taking.  Here are some sleep tips...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

• Posted

Listen & heed to whatever Chico says he knows his stuff.

We've all had a brutal operation & unfortunately it can be a brutal, b***h of a recovery.

My 1st TKR was nearly 15 months ago now & it is fine! But it was an easier recovery! This one is totally different, many more sleepless nights,  more pain & discomfort, but the rom is much better & easier than last time. I am still only 2.5 weeks po so I don't expect much yet!

Also I agree with Jenny as to using 2 crutches or sticks when walking about outside for any length of time because she is absolutely right in that when you are going any distance, the walking technique goes, with just the one walking aid. Don't forget we have to learn to walk properly again. If you're like me you've had years of walking with a stiff knee, that your gait is all wrong & must be re learned! A lot of the pain at this stage can be from your gait. Try practising in front of the mirror so you can see how you are walking or get someone to film you, you can see where you need to concentrate on.

My physio last year told me to walk around the kitchen holding onto the work tops & do heel toe & lift the leg right up & forward. It is clumsy & awkward but really really helps.

I never ever thought that at 64 I would be learning to walk properly again but hey ho & here we go!

You can do it! We all can do it! 

All the best

Marilyn 

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.