8 year old son diagnosed with crohns

Posted , 8 users are following.

My son has recently been diagnosed with crohns, he is 8 years old, after suffering from stomach cramps diarrhoea with blood in over the past year. They are wanting to start him on a liquid only diet for 7 weeks using nutritional drinks Modulen. He does not want to be fed through a nasogastric tube and is going to try and drink the liquid. Had anyone's children had to do this. I thought it is a safer option than steroids because of side effects but this is all new to me ??!!!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi my son has just left the hospital today after veing diagnosed with crohns he startin the shakes in 2 week as we are goin to spain . He ended up with a perianal absess and after 4 month of haven it he had to get it drained again i feel so bad for him .
    • Posted

Just to let you know that the liquid diet has made such a difference and as hard as it's been at times it is worth it. The first week was the hardest my son was crying and upset a lot about food but has now realised it is making him so much better. He is into his fourth week and I cannot wait for the six weeks to be up as much as my son cannot either. He has gone from being on the toilet 6-7 times a day crying in pain to just once a day, he is also full of energy and has returned to school and all of his sporting activities. We are due to see his consultant tomorrow and hopefully look forward to planning a reintroduction of food and what will happen next as I'm not too sure if he will have to continue with any meds after the liquid diet ??
    • Posted

That's such good news, I'm so happy that it's working for your brave young lad. The liquid diet is tough but personally I've found it to be the most effective and kind way of getting the Crohn's under control. It really helps too, to understand the effects different foods have...... Everyone's different, but after a liquid diet your far more likely to notice any trigger foods that make things worse.

I wish you luck and hope the reintroduction of food goes well.

X

• Posted

Saw our consultant yesterday and he wants to start my son on Azathioprine after his liquid diet the side effects really panicked me and am not sure what to do has anyone else's children taking these long term??
  • Posted

Hi, sorry not been on to answer your questions.  Well, my daughter finished her Modulen which seemed to have the same effect as what it has for your son, great improvement, she is still continuing to take salofalk and omeprazole and I have been advised this will continue indefinitely.  I found Professor John Hunter's book - The essential guide to controlling crohn's disease, colitis and other IBDS extremely helpful.  The consultant advised us that she could return to eating normally as long as it was not high fibre, I did not agree with this as I believed subjecting to a 7 year old to a 6 week liquid diet and then eating "normally" again would go against the whole reason of having done the liquid diet in the first plce.  I believe from researching that foods can cause inflammation so I have been following the Elimination Diet in Professor John Hunter's book to the letter to see what foods agree and disagree with her tummy, this is a long, arduous process but I personally feel it is necessary - so far she has had reactions to carrots, oat & rye and I am still introducing foods one at a time.  My daughter has also been advised to go on Azathioprine next, we are just waiting to see if her repeat MMR jab has given her immunity as her body rejected it when she had it done initially as a baby which was a bit of an eye opener.  I too have been struggling with the side effects, knowing that I could be administering medication to my daughter that could  cause life-threatening illnesses is not an easy choice to make but I read on a Crohn's site somewhere that with this disease you have to choose between the lesser evil - whether to take the immunosuppresants to help control the disease and improve quality of life but on the other hand, you have a risk of further illnesses or bad side effects.  It sounds like you are in exactly the same situation as myself, I went back to my consultant with a list of 23 questions (yes I am truly a nightmare mother but I want to know everything!). My husband is a physio in a GP practice and he has spoken to one of his retired gp's plus another gp whose father has Crohn's and they both have said that there is no choice, the immunosuppressants are the way to go and will help her immensely.  Also, I have been assured by my consultant that there are numerous children that are on Azathioprine and yes some experience side effects but the dosage is then adjusted accordingly.  I am just trying to concentrate on researching the dietary links, medication effects and moving forward, a way to keep her healthy and happy.  Please feel free to message me again, unsure if can do private messaging on here but seems we are in the same boat and I know I could do with support about my concerns and worries, am dreading the years ahead, its terrifying and the last thing you want for your baby.  Big hugs to you and your son, apologies for the long message xxxxxxxx
  • Posted

Also, after weaning her off the liquid feeds and re-introducing foods/meals, I continue to give her a maintenance dose of 250ml Modulen daily to ensure she is getting nutrients, usually she just has it alongside her lunch just like a normal milkshake - I had 1 dietitian telling me it wasn't necessary and another telling me yes good idea so I am going with my own instinct. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.