8th day on increased dose of Citalopram 40mg

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to these forums... so nice to meet you!

Need some advice and positive personal experiences of people who have increased their dose from 20mg to 40mg of Citalopram?

I started it last year, after an awful 2 years of depression caused by anxiety related to the traumatic loss of my dad and generally being a little sensitive soul!

I was reluctant at first to start medication and had counselling that was effective and helped with the ssri's- however the depression/anxiety soon returned... I sat with it for about 2 months before I couldn't take it anymore.

Started 10mg for 3 days then moved up to 20mg. Had an awful 2 weeks... increased anxiety, couldn't keep food down, couldn't sleep. Was so desperate I stuck with it, and after about 3 weeks my mood started to lift. Was able to 'feel' just felt like me again and laugh and cry and feel angry, normal emotions!

Felt great and wondered why I didn't seek medical help sooner... then about 3 weeks ago after a few stressful events started to feel like I was dipping, anxious with friends, worrying excessively so started 30mg for about 6 days (spoke to doc about this) got impatient and upped to 40! (Possibly too quickly)

Have been on this dose for about 8 days and have increased anxiety, low motivation to go out with friends, the only people I can face are my mum and boyfriend and that's it. Feel so sorry for my flat mate who I love to bits and feel it's so not fair on her!

If anyone has increased from 20mg to 40mg did you feel rubbish at first and how long did it take you to feel better at the increased dose?

I don't like to think my body has got used to the meds and hope that my body will get used to the higher dose! D:

Thinking of anyone going through it at the moment. X

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Louise

Ive had bad depression for 20 years or more - have missed huge chunks of my life where I have just gone to work for structure, and then slept every weekend and holiday away. I have self medicated for the last ten years with booze, which is the worst thing to do. Tok the step of returning to meds again last year and was prescribed 20mg of Citalopram. I started to hear the birds singing again, felt the warmth of the sunshine and stopped despising myself as much. I am now on 40mg - it works for me and I'm slowly starting to live again. If the lower does has plateau'd a bit - which is what happened to me then go for the higher dose. You'll soon get used to it.

Take care, and be well.

Peter

x

• Posted

Thanks for your lovely reply Peter! I feel evenings are a little better so they are doing their thing...

Just the horrible side effects - but all will be well soon! Thanks again.

Wishing you all the best smile

• Posted

Hey Peter,

I was wondering what your side effects were like when upping the dose from 20 to 40mg?

Feeling very depressed and anxious! Whereas I was only anxious before. Having some really hopeless thoughts and hoping this is a side effect sad

Day 11 now! D:

• Posted

Hi Louise

My side effects passed in about a week/ten days - nausea, sweating and feeling light headed. I did start taking mine before I went to bed and that really helped. I didnt really have any side effects when I stepped up to 40mg a day - I really dont know that I'm on them now. 

Day 11 is really early to feel the full benefit - Ive heard it can take up to three months for some people. The hopeless thoughts can be a contra indication for some people. Try and compartmentalise those feelings, and raise your awareness that it is the drug starting to work. If your mood doesnt improve go back and chat to your gp - not all medications suit everyone.

I would suggest that you persever for a bit yet - they will make you feel alive and better again. Although as I always say there is no magic happy pill - I wish there were.

Take care now.

Peter

x

• Posted

Hi Louise. I'm new to the forum as a contributer but have been reading it for some time. It's so useful to read of other people's experiences. I've been on a 20mg dose of citalopram for some years since my son was ill ( and he periodically is ill with a long standing mental health problem) and usually it has managed my severe anxiety just fine. 

About four months ago I had a serious accident to my arm which caused a lot of pain and I have not had a decent nights sleep since. My GP prescribed propranolol (it's. Beta blocker) to deal with the anxiety and depression the lack of sleep was causing but it actually made my insomnia worse. I have reluctantly decided to increase my citalopram from 20 to 30mgs as I remember when I first took it my sleep improved quite quickly and I took my first increased dose yesterday. Been awake all night virtually and writing this at 430 am having woken properly and feeling my anxiety setting off again. Just writing this helps. I am expecting to feel worse before I get better! I asked and got some diazepam 2mg to help with this last week and have. Just taken one. Also got some zopiclone ( sleepers) which I tried one of but it didn't give me a sound sleep and I felt bad he next day so haven't continued with it. 

id be very interested to hear how you get on and would like to share my experience with you. It will get easier( I've increased before and then reduced again) and I remember it taking two weeks before I felt any proper benefit though after about five days I did feel some difference especially with my energy levels which had hit rock bottom. The extra anxiety does subside though it's horrible while it's there. Katecogs wrote an interesting piece on here about why the anxiety gets worse before it gets better. She's a very knowledgeable and empathic contributer and knows a lot about citalopram. 

best set wishes for now. Please keep us updated. 

• Posted

Louise - Im also worried my body has got used to the drugs - im now on 30mg and have been for 3 days after being on 10mg for 4+ years - then 20mg for 6 weeks (with no real results) 

3 days into 30mg and i had to switch to taking the tablets at night because they were making me feel so tired first thing. - I'm not sure HOW i feel today - weird to be honest - not sure if its good or bad - but maybe a little less anxious.

Im just not sure if im wasting my time with this medication now. Its been a long time.

• Posted

I'm really feeling for you Neil. Are you signed off work as you will be seriously sleep deprived if you're waking at 425 every morning. Have you moved up to 30 mg because 20 isn't working for you? It seems a big increase from 10 and no wonder you are feeling terrible. I've just increased from 20 to 30 but woke up having an anxiety attack about 430 myself. I'm going to do this more slowly if at all as like you I can't stand that feeling of terror and dread. Can you remember how you felt on 10 and why you decided to increase your dose? Did it feel worse than how you're feeling now? Could you get some diazepam from your gp for the really worst times?

• Posted

Liz - no i am still working - and yes the dose increase was due to it seeming to stop working - i went up from 20mg to 30mg because 20mg didnt seem to work. The 4.25am is due to what i think is high cortisol levels (Stress - fight of flight - etc) - im taking magnesium for that (apparently it helps) 

10mg was ok - but some recent issues in my life made me down and brought back my anxiety so the doc upped the dose. do you have any side effects in terms of sleepiness now you have upped the dose?

im already on diazepam (for the truly bad times) and also on beta blockers 3 times a day

• Posted

Yes I'm exhausted! And tbh I've not had a decent nights sleep for about 3 months as I had an accident and had to sleep upright which is why my gp thought it would help if I increased my dose to 30 as I was getting anxious and depressed. He also prescribed beta blockers for me which I've since discovered also block the action of melatonin which leads to the 4 am wake ups as your body is not getting the right signals to stay asleep. So you may be having the early wake ups as a consequence of both sets of meds. Do you find that the beta blockers help minimise some of the anxiety you are feeling? Also ive noticed on a lot of forums that it takes longer than 6 weeks to feel the benefit of a change for some people and maybe you need to persevere on 20

For a while longer? Are your symptoms much worse on 30?

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I had the waking up issue before i started on the beta blockers so im not sure that is connected.

The only problematic side effect i get are sweats and chills and extreme tiredness so i take the tablets at night. ( as of yesterday)

Yes beta blockers do help but the diazepam is the saviour.

• Posted

Also..high cortisol levels...caused by stress and anxiety can be lowered with beta blockers. So they should actually help you sleep because cortisol is what wakes you up early.
    • Posted

Hey Neil,

Sorry for the lateness, been struggling a bit myself!

On day 11 now but have to remember I've doubled the dose so my bodies getting used to it.

Was wondering if it might be a good idea for you to speak to your doctor about escitalopram which is actually a purer form of the cit?

I have a phonecall with my doc later today and am going to speak to her about it!

Just keep remembering when I'm not ill, i love my life and I will be well again soon!

It's not easy but I really do believe these experiences make us better, stronger and more empathetic people!

We will be well again- there are lots of options smile

Thinking of you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.