9 Weeks into Glandular Fever & Struggling! Looking for some reassurance

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hello everyone,

This is the first time I have ever posted on a forum but having seen some of the lovely kind words from others sharing the same issues with this horrible virus, I feel as though I could do with some of your kind advice also.

I am a 26 year old male who up until recently was in very good health, I eat well , don't smoke, drink a fair bit and exercise regularly.

I was diagnosed with EBV / Glandular Fever which started after a heavy night out on April 10th 2017 (approx 9 weeks ago) , it started with the typical sore throat with white dots on my tonsils , extreme fatigue, headaches, swollen glands etc.

Being self employed and running a very busy business with 5 employees it has been a real struggle to take anytime off work so after the initail 4-5 days of being very ill I went back into work to get things done but whilst feeling very dizzy, disorientated and generally unwell. 

My role at work though is more mentally straining than physical so I didn't push myself too hard and mainly sat in my office keeping an eye on things and doing e-mails etc.

This cycle continues for the past 8 weeks and I have led a pretty normal life but just feeling constantly tired and slightly nauseous all of the time until the past couple of days where everything has seemed to have got promptly worse. 

My throat has swollen right up again, I have terrible headaches and muscle aches, bad anxiety and extreme exhaustion. I have been at home resting for the past two days. 

Next Thursday, I have a weeks fishing trip planned to my local lake where I can camp out and relax but I don't even think I have the energy to do that. I desperatly want to feel even 10% better just so I have the energy to go fishing but I really do not know if camping for a week is going to make me feel even worse.

My thoughts are that I will be able to relax on my comfy bed chair in my tent and do pretty much nothing for a week so surely that will be equally , if not more relaxing as being at home but the way I feel at the moment I do not know if I can bring myself to even do that.

What do you guys think I should do and does anyone have any idea how long it may take someone of my age / fitness to regain my health? 

Thanks for listening,

Sam

0 likes, 159 replies

159 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

UPDATE September 25th 2017.

Almost 6 months into Glandular Fever now.

The past two weeks I genuinely felt as though I was improving a lot. I had more energy and only remaining symptoms were a sore neck and slightly swolen glands but not as bad as before.

I went out Friday night with a friend and had two small beers and got back around 11AM , the next morning I felt awful and as a result the entire weekend I have felt wiped out. 

Now today I woke up feeling terrible and had to leave work early to come home and rest. I feel as though I am back to square one again.

The depression and frustration is just terrible sad I really do feel as though I am doomed to feel this way for the rest of my days as I have never in my life been ill for more than a week maximum and now to have been wiped out for 6 months has just made me lose all hope. 

Has anyone else on here started to feel better followed by an immediate relapse / wipeout and if so what was your outcome?

Any help is very welcome.

Sam

• Posted

Hi Sam,

it was about 6months in when I felt like I was getting better, I had about 4 weeks feeling better and then completely went down again, just like you have! I hear what you say and I've felt exactly the same.... I'm now at 11 months and this last month has been improving at lot, felt so much better although I still have down achey tired days, this virus is like a roller coaster and just takes a long long time to get rid of. Try not to be too hard on yourself or feel like you won't get better ( although that's how I've felt) because you will get there. Take care, Caroline x

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and offering me kind me encouraging words of advice. 

This really has been the worst thing that's happened to me in my life and made me realise above everything how precious your health is. 

I think it's not uncommon for me to feel this way giving what you and others have said so will try and find some positivity somewhere to help pull through. It's so odd how it really is like a rollercoaster with constant ups and downs. 

I've just had enough now and want my life back sad

Sam x

• Posted

Oh gosh, ditto, I'm always saying I've had enough, this isn't funny anymore, I just want my life back... It's mentally tiring. 

I too also say this has been the worse year of my life. And no it's not uncommon to feel like this or to be crying or feel really down. This comes when you feel really exhausted and tired/achey.

I do loads more in the daytime now, shopping, cooking, cleaning, not back to my part time job yet but you can't rush this virus. I'm trying to own it! 

A friends daughter of mine is 16 who also has gf and is now back at college and only having the odd day off, this is her 13 month. So it does take time.

someone will always reply on these threads, it's great to come back to for reassurance.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

​I started feeling better at 6.5 months and then had a relapse, I was so discouraged but it has gone by, it was not as intense and lasted about six weeks on and off. I still have down days but they are getting less and less and the symptoms are disappearing one by one.

It is a good sign that you are having good days, I believe what Craig said about the virus changing shape and fooling the immune system, but the immune system is learning and it will get it under control. I have learned to enjoy the good days and rest on the bad days. 

• Posted

Hey Sam,

Just want to reassure that this is normal for this kind of thing to happen....I went through lots of mini relapses like that and recovery and getting back on on even keel wasn't nearly as tough as dealing with the early and initial stages of the virus - 6 months is a common time for this kind of thing to happen, it's actually a good sign I believe because every sort of relapse like that helps your body get to grips with the virus a little bit more, so just don't want you to worry or feel discouraged, even though I know you don't feel great now you will bounce back and BY FAR you will be over the worst stages of the virus - don't panic if it still takes a bit of time though but things will improve continually still and you're not by any means back to square one. Recovery is very zig-zag and a down point doesn't mean you're all the way back - in fact in a strange way it can help you move further forward in the long term.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Sam, 

I am a 27 year old male, got diagnosed with Mono early June. It has been a tough 5 months, but I can attest to having up days and down days. Just know that you will make it out stronger than before, appreciating the small things in life. I still have the fatigue/brain fog and my heart races easily with small tasks but I follow Craig's advice; keep a positive mind and know that this is only temporary. 

• Posted

Thanks Mono Three....you're doing all the right things by the sounds of it, it just takes time sometimes unfortunately but things definitely will come back to you, full health and recovery is on its way I really believe! Thinking of you and hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Hello Everyone,

Time for another update. At the 7 month mark no and very little signs of improvement.

Last week I was feeling slightly better and could get through a day at work sort of okay but then suddenly Saturday evening my throat felt a bit sore and then for Sunday, Monday & Tuesday it was literally the worst 3 days out of the past 7 months. My tonsils have swollen up to the size of golf balls and the constant headache and fatigue was unbearable leaving me house bound.

I am feeling ever so slightly better today but feel as though I am truly going backwards now. I have a doctors appointment next week for another blood test to see the progress of the virus. 

Is what I am feeling normal? I don't understand how people can recover from this illness in a matter of weeks. Everyone I have spoken to has said 6-12 months to feel kind of normal and currently I feel very far from normal.

Is there life after Glandular fever?! Will I ever be able to go to the pub again and enjoy a nice cold pint on a summers evening.. will I be able to regain fitness in the future and go travelling the world?

At the moment my whole world is crumbling around me and having split up with my girlfriend of 5 years last month also that has definitely made things a whole lot worse for me sad

Craig and everyone else, you have been so supportive. Please offer me some honest advice as to your experiences and what I can expect from the future.

Thanks and love again,

Sam

• Posted

Hi Sam,

I can totally relate to what you're going through in terms of the virus, my recollection was that after 7 months I felt tiny steps of progress perhaps from the beginning, but so minimal that I thought if this is the best it's going to get I don't think I could cope. And there were times too when I went back the way like you've explained.

This really is normal Sam, it's a very zig-zag recovery and want to reassure you that even when you're having a down spell or it seems like it's back to square one, it isn't, in fact usually that's your body just dealing with the virus in stages I think and it can get worse for a while but these kind of lapses become much less as time goes on.

After about 9 months I had quite a relapse where my joints and everything started to ache so much, I got bruising and all sorts and I just thought I just can't deal with this any more. But actually looking back that was the start of a proper recovery, because after 10 months I felt like i took a big step forward, and from that point onwards (although full recovery still took some time) I started to feel more human again. So remember there can be a phase coming up where you take a big step forward in a short space of time, so try not to worry if progress until now seems painfully slow, because that turning point can and will come, I truly believe!

Hang in there Sam....and really empathising with what you're going through - it really is a truly horrible experience and just take each day as it comes when going through this tough spell - remembering it will pass over. God will bring healing I do believe that (He already has in fact).

Craig

• Posted

Thanks so much Craig,

I think also a lot of people just recover from the virus in time and don't bother posting on here to help out people who are now suffering like you do.

Thank god for people like you Craig.

At which point did you start doing any form of exercise? Is it wise when I feel a little better to start doing some light exercise? Walks , a short run perhaps and try and build myself up? or do you think by pushing myself then it will make things worse.. I really don't know the best way forward.

I just hope more than anything that after Christmas as the new spring comes I can think about going away on holiday for a week to totally relax as at the moment the thought of travelling and flying just seems way too much.

Cheers,

Sam

• Posted

Hi Sam,

​Your symptoms are very normal and one of the first things I noticed at about 6.5 months is that I would have hours or a day where I felt ok and then would do a little more and end up feeling bad for days this continued for about three months. had a month long relapse in July and have been feeling more myself in the last six weeks.

​You will recover it takes a long while, but in the last six weeks I have been able to go to lunch with friends and attend a wedding, these seem like small things but after being home the better part of a year and only being out for work or groceries, it is a step in the right direction.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your kind words, it's only because I remember how terrible an experience it was to go through it that I want to offer some reassurance to others because I know that would have helped me.

Well I think it's about finding the right balance with exercise, walks are really good if you are able to manage them, key thing is just to listen to your body and be sensible, rest when you need to rest but if you can still do some things definitely do them - but make sure you give plenty of rest before and afterwards and don't put any pressure on yourself.

Yes really hoping you get your holiday Sam - and YES there is life after glandular fever, without any doubt! (although I know sometimes it feels like there never will be when going through it)

Craig

• Posted

I know exactly how you are feeling. I've been sick for 9 months now and even though I saw some improvement, I'm still far from feeling how I felt before this had started. This feels like a neverending nightmare. Just remember that you are not alone in this and we all care for you.  We have to stay patient and positive and believe in full recovery(it's funny that I'm writing this right now when every day that I think that 'll never recover and stay sick forever, lol).

• Posted

Hi Sam I’m so sorry your feeling so poorly still! I found out I had it end of July this year so 4 months my symptoms are slightly different to yours some similar I suffer my bad necks more than anything. I also find that every time I get a slight cold all my symptoms reappear. I also feel like this is my life now and I’m stuck this way! Craig, Caroline and Rhonda and many others have been so reassuring and encouraging I truly believe we will get over this!! I just turned 26 when I found I had it, I feel 86! I’ve had a night out or two but I have paid for it big style And set myself back! I need to stay if the alcohol! I’m currently lying in bed feeling horrific! Hope you feel better soon. AlwYs here to chat xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.