9 Weeks into Glandular Fever & Struggling! Looking for some reassurance

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hello everyone,

This is the first time I have ever posted on a forum but having seen some of the lovely kind words from others sharing the same issues with this horrible virus, I feel as though I could do with some of your kind advice also.

I am a 26 year old male who up until recently was in very good health, I eat well , don't smoke, drink a fair bit and exercise regularly.

I was diagnosed with EBV / Glandular Fever which started after a heavy night out on April 10th 2017 (approx 9 weeks ago) , it started with the typical sore throat with white dots on my tonsils , extreme fatigue, headaches, swollen glands etc.

Being self employed and running a very busy business with 5 employees it has been a real struggle to take anytime off work so after the initail 4-5 days of being very ill I went back into work to get things done but whilst feeling very dizzy, disorientated and generally unwell. 

My role at work though is more mentally straining than physical so I didn't push myself too hard and mainly sat in my office keeping an eye on things and doing e-mails etc.

This cycle continues for the past 8 weeks and I have led a pretty normal life but just feeling constantly tired and slightly nauseous all of the time until the past couple of days where everything has seemed to have got promptly worse. 

My throat has swollen right up again, I have terrible headaches and muscle aches, bad anxiety and extreme exhaustion. I have been at home resting for the past two days. 

Next Thursday, I have a weeks fishing trip planned to my local lake where I can camp out and relax but I don't even think I have the energy to do that. I desperatly want to feel even 10% better just so I have the energy to go fishing but I really do not know if camping for a week is going to make me feel even worse.

My thoughts are that I will be able to relax on my comfy bed chair in my tent and do pretty much nothing for a week so surely that will be equally , if not more relaxing as being at home but the way I feel at the moment I do not know if I can bring myself to even do that.

What do you guys think I should do and does anyone have any idea how long it may take someone of my age / fitness to regain my health? 

Thanks for listening,

Sam

0 likes, 159 replies

159 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I can relate to your situation. I have been dealing with this for over a year. I also worked through most of it. I went through a divorce also. This virus sucks. You have to keep the Faith. I am starting to see some improvements. I made the mistake of trying to push through.  It has cost me. Listen to your body. I was always mentally strong and it hurt me with this virus. I was always able to push through pain. Don’t push!!! It only hurts you in the long run. Try to relax and accept the situation. You will then begin to see improvements.  I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Brent, 

Yes this helps a lot. 

Do you find that you feel a bit better for a week and then worse the next week? Like constant ups and downs.. it seems a lot of people have characterised this.

I am definitely listening to my body more now and not pushing through, I am just hoping these mistakes have not cost me too much in the long run.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

i am tracking the same as mono... At 7 months I was no way near better.. It's very much ups and downs, zigzagging slowly back to good health. I am having loads of normal day now (properly sick from dec2016)..my last dip was two days ago (for one day!) and then it was October 24th for three days... The good days definately out way the bad now!!! I rest when I'm tired, still having early nights, but have really normal days, walking the dog,shopping etc.... but I'm not up to going back to excercise classes yet....that can wait. Brent is right, listen to your body and don't push it. Just accept it and try to roll with it! I'm not back at work yet....that can also wait!!!

you will get there, all of us probably couldn't see it at one point, but we all are and you'll soon be back in the pub.its just painfully slow. I especially find it hard when symptoms sneak back.

caroline xxx

• Posted

Whenever I would push myself too hard for a day, I would pay for it for a week or longer. I was always a overachiever and with this virus you can’t be. I thought I was better back in the spring so I decided to do some heavy yard work. It wiped me out for months! I would take a few days off from work and start to feel better only to go back and crash. If I could do it over again I would have taken several months off. I just wanted to keep busy so I didn’t have to think about my divorce. Bad mistake. The mornings are still hard for me and my vision still gives me issues. I classify for Cfs, but I have seen improvements.
    • Posted

You're so right Brent, if you're used to being a high achiever or working at full pace, you just can't whilst going through the virus and it's so frustrating I know. Remember that your body resilience will fully return though.

Sam, Caroline is totally right, recovery is zig-zag and yes it's very normal to feel a little better one week and then maybe a week or two later it can feel you've went back the way again - be assured though that you haven't and every mini lapse like this is your body getting on top of things and working towards a full recovery, and it won't cause the same lasting impact each time it happens (recovery period will be shorter with each lapse).

Thinking of you all and remember you ARE recovering right now and will be in full health again thanks to God, I truly believe that for everyone on the forum here. 

Craig

• Posted

Hey Sam,

I am in Month 6 now and have seen some improvements. Here are the different supplements I took for the first 6 months that have helped me almost get back to 100%. 

-Vitamin C

-Echinasea

-Rhodiola

-Siberian Ginseng

-Multivitamin

-Pycnogenol

-Wellness Formula 

I did not take all of them at the same time, I took them according to the advice from my homeopathic doctor. 

Remember to keep your head up and know its only temporary.

If you can, try to go out for a walk, listen to your body, but improving your blood oxygen levels will help. 

• Posted

Sounds like good advice MonoThree, hoping things keep improving for you too, I do believe that they will thanks to God so hang in there and remember things will get better!

Craig

• Posted

Thanks a lot guys.. this forum has helped me more than anything.

I am currently at work sat at my desk enjoying a cup of coffee. Feel tired with slightly achey neck and swollen glands but an improvement on my massive dip last week.

Another important question guys. When you started to feel slightly better.. would you recommend some walks and perhaps some light jogging (even 3-4 minutes a day to begin with) and work upwards.. 

What I want more than anything is to be able to work on something to get better... I don't mind how long it takes as long as I can actually work on something and see improvements and I feel that this is the most frustrating thing of all with Glandular Fever that it just does NOT seem to work this way!

Also, out of curiosity where are all you guys from. I am in the UK here.

Much love, 

Sam

• Posted

Hi Sam,

i would still  be careful with excercise... I walk the dog now and do shopping. Do what you feel but don't overdo it..  I presume with work that would take its toll so don't try too much.

yes, I'm also in the uk, half hour from London. 

• Posted

Hey Sam,

I would recommend some light walks, but only you can make sure not to exceed yourself. 

Keep a positive attitude and verbally tell yourself every morning you are one step closer, you are stronger than the virus.

Best wishes from Mexico.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Slightly better at 6,5 months relapse at 9 months, better at 

10  months, still not exercising yet, maybe light walking to start. I am from the USA.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

I'm in the UK too, in Scotland. Yes walking is good is you feel up to it, Mono Three is right just listen to your body and don't overdo it, but walking definitely helped me and it doesn't need to be huge long walks, just a short walk and getting fresh air can even be good and if you feel like doing more then you can but don't push yourself or overdo it either.

Craig

• Posted

Hi sam I got this on 23/6/17 and almost 5 months in celebration needed. NOT lol. I am 24 and I feel like im 84 I have to work with the virus and I have had the ups and downs to many times to mention. I cycle to work 5 days a week around 6 mile round trip. It definitely helps but I try not to over do it because I am always on guard with this. My main problem now is the unbalanced feeling like being drunk but Ive felt drunk for like 5 months nearly what a bender that was lol. Even though I don't drink Im hoping December will bring us some luck. Hang in there pal Ill keep a check on this forum now and post updates through it hopefully one day like craig said it will vanish. Blessings people

• Posted

Hello guys just wanna ask did u had episodes of low grade fever during recovery?thanks

• Posted

Hi Ralph,

Yes for sure this was the most persistent and ongoing symptom I had during the time of the virus and recovery, it was so frustrating the low grade fever always being there. Just want to reassure you that it does subside, and go away and you won't have to deal with that all the time - just so frustrating that it does seem to take time for some people (like me too), but things will get better hang in there! God heals!

Craig

• Posted

Thanks craig-i hope it will go very soon coz it worries me specially at night when it happens' may God heals us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.