9 weeks on citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I have been taking citalopram for 9 weeks now (10mg for 2 weeks and 20mg for 7 weeks) and I would just like to know if I am making progress.  I have found that I am feeling less anxious and tired and am able to get up early in the morning without feeling angry/irritable, and I am also feeling slightly more hopeful for the future than I was before, however there will still be some days when I am very anxious, and have found that I still avoid contact with other people due to the anxiety that I am feeling.  Overall I feel like my depression is improving but my anxiety is taking longer, and I'd just like to know if it is  normal to still feel anxious and depressed some days after 9 weeks on citalopram.  I will hopefully be starting cbt therapy soon also which could further improve my condition.  Thank you.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Amy

I have only been in Citralopram 5 weeks and I have been to the doctors and had dose increased to 20mg today.   I have reasearched this a lot and it sounds like you are having normal recovery.   Apparently it can take months so we have to know it’s slow.  Take hope in the fact you have seen improvements over this time.  Hopefully others will reply who have more experience of this than me but hope this has helped.   

• Posted

Thank you for responding.  I think it is probably normal and it will probably take a long time.  I'm seeing my doctor soon so I'll know more then.  Good luck with the new dosage.

• Posted

That is progress - its already working.  Recovery really is slow ....... you'll hardly notice it really but just that you'll begin to feel the anxiety, depression etc has slightly eased.  It all happens slowly and often one thing at a time.  Yes 9 weeks and you'll still have anxiety for now.  It took me 6 months to recover and I had anxiety every morning still despite the rest of my day becoming better and better.

Just go with the flow ....... and count recovery in months not weeks, as that's often how long it takes.

Once the anxiety has gone you may find you'll feel much more comfortable being with other people.

Sounds like you're on the right path though.

K x

• Posted

Thank you for the response.  I know that it is early days and I will probably give it a few months before I try anything else but it is good to hear that I may be on the right path.  Good to hear that citalopram has helped you.
    • Posted

Yes you do seem to - just give it a long, long time.  My second time on them I did start to wonder when it months started passing, but I just carried on and sure enough I started feeling better.

Let us know how you get on.

K x

• Posted

Yes I will probably have to wait it out and see if it begins to have more impact over the next few months.  I have found that there have been a few periods this week where I have felt a little lower and more irritable like I was before I started the citalopram.  It might just be a bit of a blip.  Seeing responses from other people does help though.
    • Posted

Yes you'll get those blips throughout each week, sometimes feeling good and bad in one day too.  They will ease as you progress though.  How are you feeling at the moment? 

• Posted

I am feeling pretty stable right now.  Not ecstatically happy but not extremely anxious and depressed either.  I have found that a lot of the physical symptoms such as insomnia, oversleeping, poor concentration have subsided since I started the medicine and are continuing to improve and when I'm alone I feel a lot less depressed and anxious.  It's just being around other people that is still the problem.  I am less irritable than I was but i still feel that the discomfort hasn't gone away yet.

• Posted

Oooh that sounds like you're in that half way stage between anxiety and not being quite there yet.  Great progress!  

Everything happens slowly and often those larger hurdles are the last to be resolved.

Glad you're doing well.

K x

• Posted

Thank you.  I'm seeing my doctor in a few days so I'll probably tell her the same as what I've said on here.  I think I will feel better when i start cbt but it's taking a while to start up.  Hope you're doing well.

• Posted

I'm sure CBT will help massively - and yes there always seems to be a waiting list rolleyes

• Posted

I've been advised by my doctor to call them and see where I am on the waiting list.  I'd like to start the therapy soon as I think that could help me sort out the issues i still have.

• Posted

Did you call the CBT people?  Hope you're near the top of the list - its such a shame we have to wait.  

K xx

• Posted

I haven't called yet, I get a bit anxious about talking on the phone.  Hope everything is going ok with you.

• Posted

I usually write things down before making a phone call as I always miss something out I need to ask.  My hubby doesn't like talking on the phone either, so often left to me rolleyes

• Posted

I called them and they sent me a letter telling me that I have my first appointment next week, finally.
    • Posted

Hey that's good Amy - let us know how you get on wink xx

• Posted

I've been to two therapy sessions now and although they have both been quite short I have found them to be helpful.  I'm not feeling too good at the moment though, my anxiety is slightly higher and my mood is a little lower and I have no appetite.  Might just be another blip but this is the longest blip I've had since I started citalopram.  I see my doctor again in two weeks so if I am still not feeling good then I could tell her about it but I hope things pick up.

• Posted

Glad the therapy sessions have been of help - do you have more to attend?  Yes when recovering there will be many blips and some can last longer than others, some can be stronger too.  Seems no rhyme or reason.

It is a horrible bumpy road when recovering with anxiety coming and going, many side effects crop up, doubts creep in, thoughts tumble through our minds all of which seem relentless.  One minute you feel you're turning a corner and the next you're back in it again.  However often or strong these feelings and thoughts come, we tend to worry about them which makes them cling more.  

You must be about 3-4 months into Citalopram now?

• Posted

Well said Katecogs...

Thank you.. I’ve learned a lot from you and it’s helped me with this bumpy road and it’s given me the will (no pun intended) to be positive and move forward to get better. 

Will😎

• Posted

I think katecogs should write a book.   Our advice is so reassuring!  
    • Posted

Haha - you're not the first one to say that babysteps redface  Would be great, but the thought is a bit too daunting lol cheesygrin xxxxx

• Posted

Glad you're doing well Will - its great we learn from each other and in turn pass it on too.  Love the pun cheesygrin lol

K x

• Posted

I am about 5 months into my treatment now and I am still seeing a lot of ups and downs.  Recently my bad periods have been worse than usual, however the good periods have been better.  The therapy that I was attending wasn't right for me and I am now on the waiting list for a different therapy which will take a while.  I managed to get myself out of a particularly bad spot a few weeks ago by upping my dose to 30mg but I haven't that much change from the increase.  It's going to be a long and difficult process but I have seen signs of improvement, although I'm not where I want to be yet.  Having someone to talk to on here helps though.

• Posted

Hi amy

It is a long process - it takes a long time for us to become like this and so it'll be lengthy reversing this too.  Its annoying having to wait for therapy - such a long waiting list.  Glad you can see signs of improvement - things must be beginning to happen.  Its also good that you can see where you are at the moment.  Yes it is so helpful talking about this - knowing you're not the only one going through this.  When I was ill I didn't talk to anyone ever - other than the medical professionals and my husband.  I didn't know this was something others suffered from and felt totally alone.  Little did I know ...... 

K x

• Posted

Hi all

I'm new to this thread but have been finding the comments and hearing about other people's experiences very reassuring.

I am 6 days into taking Citalopram. I've been going through a pretty crappy break up (around a month ago) and begun suffering with worried and anxious thoughts about my partner and the girl he's now seeing. Worrying became more heightened in an evening and weekend, wondering what they were doing/was she sleeping over/was she taking my place etc.

It's eaten me alive over the last couple of weeks in particular but after a spell of being on beta blockers, my GP prescribed Citalopram.

As I said, I'm 6 days in on 20mg per day. This weekend was the hardest with the increase in anxiety but from reading on here, that sounds like it's 'normal'. I've also experienced palpitations and shaking, especially in my hands and I'm really struggling sleeping. The anxious thoughts consume me in the middle of the night and in the early hours, I feel like I can't switch off.

Hoping that they ease soon!

Katecogs - could you send me the book link?

Bx

• Posted

Hi Beth

Sorry for the delay.

Yes its really helpful knowing others are going through the same or have recovered - when I was ill I thought I was the only person in the world to be like it, which is quite normal.

Any stressful situation can trigger anxiety - stress causes adrenaline to increase and over time if its not dealt with or allowed to diminish or be released, it can result in anxiety.  Anxiety in turn is frightening which then causes more anxiety, and anxiety causes us to over think, have weird thoughts which then cause even more anxiety.  You then get stuck in this cycle and you can’t see any way out.

Citalopram will help, but yes they can be a bit tough to take, especially at the beginning.  Anxiety symptoms usually increase to start with before the meds settle and you begin to feel better.  It can take many months, so don’t be in a hurry.  The meds also work differently for people and some get better quicker than others and some are more sensitive to the meds than others too.

I’ll send you the book link yes.  It really helps to understand whats happening and answers many questions, so stops you being floundering around in the dark.

K x

• Posted

Hi Katecogs ,

I just wanted to join in here and thank you for all that you say on there threads. I've been on and off citalopram for many years now and always end up reading these threads when restarting. Your kind, positive and measured words are often a comfort to me and on doubt to many others. Bravo you.

I'm 9 weeks into my third time on citalopram. Each time is different. The first was the worst, all kinds of hell for three months. Second time, horrid but I work up at the start of week 6 and felt, and stayed great. This time . . . 9 weeks in never down, lethargic and anxious. Full of doubt about whether it'll work again. Gotta keep faith though and soldier on through. I reckon I'll be on citalopram for life now.

Thank you again for all of your support and positivity.

• Posted

Hi Steve

Awww thanks for your kind words redface 

I took Citalopram twice and had a different experience both times - it took longer for me second time.  Every time you're back in it you get those same negative thoughts of 'will it work again' and yet overtime you've recovered you think completely different.  Those negative thoughts are just due to the anxiety though.  I trusted in the meds though as knew they'd worked for me before so kept that in my mind - and yes, over much time I felt well again.

Absolutely keep that faith - they will work again for you, and yes there's nothing wrong with taking meds for life.  Many people do for all sorts of ailments, and if they keep you well, then why not.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.