9 weeks post TKR

Posted , 14 users are following.

Released from PT today. The knee feels great. To celebrate, walked and jogged 3 miles in 40 minutes. Thanks to a gifted surgeon and extreme PT, have returned to pain free living. Best wishes and the Lords blessings to fellow TKR classmates.

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So happy for you! Im just surprised the doc said it was ok to jog/run. Mine said i could fast walk but if i want the knee to last, i shouldnt do high impact activities which included running.

Great to see good news on site! God does bless us!

• Posted

Congratulations! I am 10 weeks and e released but in two weeks har the other tkr still walking with a cane.I do 20 min stationary bike and finally up to 2500 steps per day, not great ut moving along slowly. My other knee is hampering me at this time. Dropped 60 lbs in 2.5 years. You _ere probaby in much better shape than a I. I'M A WORK IN PROGRESE 2 TKR and one hip this year. ONLY FAILURE is no longer trying. Sorry for typoesss one finger on I phone congrats to you aagain!!!!

• Posted

I had my knees done in 1998 and 2000 , the surgeon and physio both told me to avoid jogging or any activity which puts great impact on the knees . I took their advise and have had no problems with my knees 
  • Posted

Please reconsider the jogging or anything else high impact...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-s-and-don-ts-after-a-tkr-a-typical-list-541794

You don't want to reduce the lifespan of the implant...

• Posted

Got to agree with you , I avoided high impact activities , and first knee is 19 years old second is 17. No problems with them . I don't think they would have lasted this long if I had been jogging , or anything else which was high impact to them .

• Posted

With an artificial knee and hip plus L3 - S1 back fusion, I've been done with hockey for a long time.  Would just love to get back on my skates for a slow, easy glide.  Yes, it may not be completely approved but I miss it soooo much.  Anything high impact or something that can twist the knee quickly, like skiing, is out of the question.  I don't want a revision...the second time is never as good as the first.

• Posted

I had a really scarey moment just before Christmas , I stepped of a 3 foot high wall in the dark thinking I was walking down steps .I landed on a concrete floor , I was very lucky only injury was a nasty gash on my shin . Still shiver when I think how bad it could have been for my knees . 
    • Posted

CM, thanks for the kind thoughts. As an exercise guy, I had to try reliving the fading memories of pain free running. You are 100% correct, any type of high impact activity going forward will just be a pleasant memory rather than an active pursuit. Fortunately, there are numerous options for high intensity aerobic participation other than running. Devoting future gym time to stationary biking, stair stepper, foul throw basketball shooting (hit 93/100 recently), and weight lifting. Best regards, RJ
    • Posted

Excellent.  Met a 35 y/o guy today with terrible knees from playing competitive basketball since grade school.  He knows what he's facing eventually but was unaware of the options he had before resulting to a TKR.  He knows his basketball days are numbered and will have to be content with the memories...just like us.

• Posted

CM, to somewhat cure hockey blues, I ofter shoot pucks with my grandson. Fortunately, there is a park nearby with a fenced area and portable hockey net. While there is no substitute for skating and shooting, at my age happy to beat my GS with a rare accurate slap shot. 
  • Posted

Congratulations!! I will be released from pt in two weeks. I'I will be 3 months. I still have pain and lots of pressure but working thru it. I'm 113 for bend and -1 for straight. So I'm sure I'll be at least 120 and 0 by then. Good luck but I would reconsider jogging as I also was told no.

• Posted

Mary0987, thanks for the kind response. I found daily walking and stationary biking in addition to PT reduces the pressure and discomfort. Daily icing and rest is a absolute must. Best wishes on your journey to pain free mobility, RJ.
    • Posted

Thanks RangerJack. Will work more on that but in Minnesota I have to find a mall to walk in as the ice scares me.
  • Posted

That is wonderful Ranger Jack. Your hard work paid off.😀

• Posted

Hi RangerJack

Well done on your 'graduation ' but please take it easy on the jogging.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.