9 weeks post TKR

Posted , 14 users are following.

Released from PT today. The knee feels great. To celebrate, walked and jogged 3 miles in 40 minutes. Thanks to a gifted surgeon and extreme PT, have returned to pain free living. Best wishes and the Lords blessings to fellow TKR classmates.

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Congratulations on your recovery Jack...but I was an avid runner and told not to do it anymore. Now I walk. I am 63 and had right TKR 2 years ago. Please consider something less high impact. Us runners are stubborn but my Dr. said absolutely not. I have taken up spinning. Good luck smile

• Posted

Suzanne09331, thank you for the kind thoughts. I too was an avaid runner for over 40 years, before injuries and arthritis crippled my knees. Today was a whimsical day when I tried to capture the fleeting memories of youthful pursuits. At 67, I do know better but it sure did feel great to slowly jog a mile+. Also, a grateful thanks to all who commented on finding a better outlet than jog/running. Starting tomorrow, back to the stationary bike and other no joint stress machines.   
    • Posted

Try spinning. I was hooked on the runners high and find spinning gets me out of my head, and is good for our knees! Try it's I know I miss running too, but don't want to go thru this again. Good luck!

• Posted

Fantastic news! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!😊

Wishing you continued success and many happy pain-free days and nights!

• Posted

Very very happy for you great news! I would beg you t go easy on the jogging , I used to run marathons which is was did both my knees in. I was told not to do anything like running and jogging so my running days are over!

please consider what I am sure so many on here will be saying to go carefully and look after your knew knees!

all best wishes for you XX

• Posted

You are so right about the running and jogging. I will be 2 years po in April this year, and have not run or jogged since my knee replacement. Plenty of walking though!!!
  • Posted

Hi again, really hope you are going from strength to strength but going easy on the jogging!

i had a horrid shock a couple of days ago. We had here in the U.K. A storm called Doris very high winds and heavy rain etc. Well I had to go out to my gym for a booked  personal training session. Arrived in car park and as opened car door which was difficult then suddenly the wind got the door And slammed it right into my right knee! Took my breath away the pain was so bad but sat for couple of moments until it pain subsided then went into the gym limping! All was good did mt pt then drove home.

two mornings later I awoke to find I couldn't move, I threw the duvet back to see my right knee looking like a huge football! 

Oh dear I couldn't stand up if I tried to put weight on my leg the pain was dreadful. Hubby was away in the states so I had to move, three dogs downstairs waiting to be let out! Managed to get to top of stairs and gritting my teeth started to go down.

got half way then sort of crumpled and fell the rest of the way, I then crawled to the sitting room where my phone was, face getting a huge wash by dogs, got to phone and dialled 999 was told there was a wait, no problem I said.

30 minutes later ambulance arrived and that was hard as I had trouble opening the door! 

Sorry this is ending up a longer Mail than intended but was taken to hospital had x rays etc which were clear of any problems thankfully.

then it was decided I should have my knee aspirated, well I am sure there is one of you lovely folk out there that had that pleasure. Not nice no not nice! So after a big syringe full of stuff again not not nice. They checked my blood results and again no nasty things found! They wanted to keep me in but I thought differently, had to see to my dogs etc so was taken home.

no real damage done but taught me a lesson, beware of strong winds and car doors!

really hope everyone is doing well.

Lin XX

• Posted

Hi Lin

OMG! What an absolutely awful experience!

Doris was a shocker, wasn't she, I went for a blood test during the storm & couldn't open the car door! Then I couldn't close it! Everything that was loose in the car was blowing about! Nearly lost the car park ticket out of the door, then the wind blew me along like I was a feather!! It's funny now but I eventually got into the phlebotomist stressed, esp knowing I had to go out there again soon!! Not easy trying not to be pushed along whilst holding a stick in one hand & the blood test form in the other ( that was another story!).

I am so sorry for all your problems & pain. I hope you get no other comebacks from all this. Why do these things always happen at the very worst time, no one around to help & animal family members to look after!!

Keep safe

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi,

Jogging or high impact stuff a no or as my surgeon advised will shorton the life span of the new joint and a revision is never as good. Your call but the way the NHS is going you probably will not be able to have arevision in the futrue unless you pay for it.

There is loads of low impact stuff you can do. Congratulations on your rehab you have done well.

BW

Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.