9 wks post TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

I saw my physio yesterday and she still wants me to improve my straightening even tho Im at 0 degrees. The exersise Im supposed to do is to put my foot up and straighten leg on two pillows or a chair and hold for 30 mins but its so painful even after a couple of mins. Ive found this the most painful of all exersises since the op 9 wks ago and the pain is next to knee on the outside of leg going down to the ankle. I also have pain in my shin which she says isnt normal. I still cant sleep as the pain is worse at night. My Dr gave me amitroptiline to try to help me sleep but its not working. Also on Meloxicam and paracetemol but theyre not working either. I just want the pain to go is anyone else still experiencing pain at 9 Wks?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't have general pain at 8 weeks but I do when I try that exercise after a just a minute or so, and pretty much in the same places.. Not sure why you would want more than 0 deg. I'm stuck at -8 whatever i do it seems but i can walk well still.

Dave

• Posted

Hello Iam 2 weeks after surgery.

had general aneset.

in Angony most if the time.

iam on top of pain killers.

keep seeing these comments about improving

the bend and straightening.

at which stage am I supposed to start.

pain to bad at the moment, but Iam walking on 2 crutches.

• Posted

Hi Alison I started exersises straight after I had op but 2 wks is too early to overdo it. I thought the more I did the quicker my recovery would be but I was so wrong. You need to do gentle excersises first it is such a long road but it will get better
    • Posted

Allison, you are in early stages,  if your pain meds are not controlling your pain....you should address that quickly.  You can not heal if in agonizing pain.

pam

• Posted

Rose,  normal knee extension is actually -6% for females...or somewhere around.  I was at 0% at same point you are in recovery.  I know the straightening exercises hurt....I agree were hardest for me too, but I am now at -4%.  Almost 7 months post op.  Prior to surgery I was over 4" off the table and bone on bone. 

Keep up the hard work...it all pays off.....hopefully the pain is better than before surgery.....I always reminded myself it is healing pain.

i will say navigating the stairs is easier with the extension improvement, however, I still get sore and tired.  I also still swell.  

At 9 weeks I still had bad pain, was still on oxy regular intervals.

Remember the the muscle healing is why recover takes so long.  It will get better.  Keep it up.

pam😀

• Posted

I'm getting a bit confused. So zero is good. Is bent a positive number as in +8 deg and over straight a negative number? I thought evrybody had a slight bend at the knee?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and to everyone elses, I was at 0 degrees on operating table apparently.I was told by a physio that whatever ROM you have at 12 wks is what you will always have so I think Im panicking a bit. Still, been on a bus today for the first time since op and walked round a busy town centre. My pain is always worse at night

• Posted

I had a double tkr may 10 and am still is some pain in right leg. It just takes time---up to a year or so. Keep doing what your physical therapist says--it will get better and your leg will get stronger through stretching and other exercises. Enjoy your weekend.
  • Posted

0 is straight! I suppose that exercise (which does hurt after a while) would just make it an easier more proficient 0!

i am 11 weeks and generally no pain but sometimes it hits!!

• Posted

Well i thought 0 was straight too Kathryn, my other knee is over -15 due to having HyperMobility Syndrome so I dont want it to bend backwards too much I think sometimes physios expect too much
  • Posted

Wow I'm so sorry. According to my physio I'm doing good. It amazes me how different everyone's story is. I sure hope you can figure it out.

• Posted

Well if what your PT says is correct Rose there are going to be some very disappointed people here including me! I was given the impression that it just gradually improved for up to a year! I can believe it though as mine was straight after the op and has slowly drifted back to bent despite constant exercises every day for 8 weeks to straighten it. It just won't have it, but at least it's better than it was pre op and the pain has gone. 

• Posted

Dear Dcweather, I think the physio that told me that is totally wrong! I also understood that it takes at least a yr for it to all settle down. Dont know what its like in other countries but under the NHS Ive seen a different physio each time and theyve all said something different
    • Posted

@Rose - I'm not surprised. I'm also NHS but I have seen the same one each time only every two weeks. She keeps saying how well I'm doing and to be patient (excuse the pun!) but I'm not as optimistic as she is about ROM although rest is good! One of my frustrations on here is that i just can't seem to get people to say what their ROM was in the years before the  Op which must be the most significant thing in terms of measuring improvement.

• Posted

I don't know what my ROM (or at least the numbers) were before the op! All I can say is that the knee wasn't quite straight. but that I hadn't really noticed significant restriction in ROM.  It was the pain that got me. That's gone now .... But so has the rom! 

• Posted

PTs define full ROM as 0 straight, +120 bent...anything more than 120 is a gift.  You can also compare it to your good knee to see what that is.  Assuming both legs were the same, my good knee is 0 / +142; right now, my TKR at 6 months is 0 / +129.  Don't know if i'll ever get it to 142 but I'm trying.  PS: +166 means your heel can touch your butt...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.