90 Days

Posted , 16 users are following.

I've been sober 90 days. I just wanted to share it somewhere, to mark it somehow... I hope it doesn't sound (too) self-congratulating.

I was never sure that counting days was a good idea - I try not to dwell on how long it's been but I can't help it really!

It feels like a big moment (a quarter of a year!) but as ever I'm taking each day as it comes, being careful not to get complacent. Sometimes I go days on end without temptation, some days the temptation is like a fly buzzing in front of my face. Only last night, when I was feeling quite down in the dumps, the temptation to have a drink was suddenly very strong indeed. I just kept thinking 'oh go on, you've done so well - a couple of cans of lager would really take the edge off and you've earned it'. 

For me, exercise has really helped. Booking an early morning exercise class for when I'm a bit stressed creates the impetus to have an early night. A couple of friends have said 'you're getting addicted to exercise' - maybe true but as I now know there are worse things to get addicted to!

I've been having treatment for anxiety for a few years, and I've been surprised at how going sober has lessened my overall anxiety. My old notion that alcohol de-stressed me was a myth I had come to believe. Last month I overcame my fear of flying and got on a plane for the first time in 10 years. I can't link this *directly* to sobriety but maybe it isn't a coincidence. 

7 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well done you!

You have every right to be self congratulating

Massive achievement

❤️❤️

• Posted

Well done!! You are building a new life for yourself,  Proud of you x
  • Posted

Good Job, well done.

Many self help groups use a date (Sobriety birthday) nothing wrong with it, I would say.

I'm very well aware of the date I started my own program.

Good luck, keep on posting.

Greetz,

Escar

• Posted

Well done, Peter, keeping going and keep coming back here to update us and to have people you can talk to without the fear of being judged smile
  • Posted

Wow Peter , very well done....very good going..... very good news......very much admired.......very inspiring.......very heart warming.......very fantastic........very incredible.....very hopeful........and very grateful that your post will give many, many. Many others hope of also giving up alcohol for a better life....( I have been well for 12yrs )

I wish you good luck and all the happiness in the world , you deserve it...

DEIRDRE xxx ,😆😊😂🌞🌻🌞🌻🌹

• Posted

Superb note from you Peter. Flying IS an achievement and proabably linked to how you are feeling right now so well done. Exercise is a brilliant idea since your brain releases endorphines after a heavy session and you feel light and almost "float" after a shower and breakfast and then off to work or as today just taking the day easy...in any case a TREMENDOUS EFFORT and well done!!
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing your happiness in sobriety.  gives me hope for a way better life without booze and find out who i really am.

• Posted

Wow, just signed back in after the weekend to all these amazing messages of support and kindness. Thank you. Posting on here and reading the insights on other threads has been a very big part of how I've managed to keep going these last few months. It's an amazing thing to read words of support from people out there who you've never met. Quite humbling really. So thanks again!
  • Posted

Hi man wish I found this place 194 days ago, you see your not the only one counting.

I've even got a silver dog tag with the date of my  50th. day engraved on it. Some people think I am nuts. Keep up the push ups

• Posted

Peter, nice one.

Here are my two cents / pennies: DON'T come back here as long as you are dry.

I'm drunk, I drink too much, most of us on this forum have a problem. Reading posts and replies on this forum will always remind you of your craving. Don't. As long as you are dry (and if abstinence is your goal), stay away from this forum. The reminder that the booze exists, and is within your reach, does not help.

It all depends on your goals. If you seek abstinence, go away, forget about the booze and forget about us because we WILL remind you of the booze. If you want to drink while exerting more self control, by all means, continue to participate.

Regards

Drunk Jim

• Posted

I am not sure you are right there, Jim. That may be how it would work for you and that's good. Each person has to do what works for them. If people find it helpful to know they are not alone with their craving, or want to get some encouragement to keep going when the days are hard, then that is what they should do. Many people can't talk to their friends and relatives because they have hidden their problem from those people and want to continue to do so. This, for those who visit this forum may be crucial .

It is also nice to get some congratulations for continuing to win a battle that only others with an alcohol problem can fully appreciate as a massive success. Those without an alcohol problem can't understand why going a few hour without a drink can be such an achievement.

• Posted

Reading about the booze will provoke one of two thoughts if you have an intimate relationship with booze:

1) Ugh! Booze... Disgusting, I want to throw up.

2) Hmm... Booze, I could do with a bit of that...

If you have booze problem then you will most likely not reach number three just like that.

3) Booze? So what?

I know I always land at No.1 or No.2 and I doubt that my "Leidensgenossen" will function in a vastly different way.

The part about getting encouragement... That is something that I have never considered. I grew up as an outsider kid so I don't value congratulations at all. Take anything I say with a grain of salt.

• Posted

That may be how it works for you Jim, but different people have different ways of doing things and different reactions to different situations. Everybody should do what works for them smile
    • Posted

I just think if you're going down the abstinence road you should go the lenght and not look back for reassurance every half mile. Why give a **** what anyone else thinks? You're the person that matters and the less you look back (even for reassurance) the less likely you'll remember the booze.

Am I missing something? I am missing something, aren't I?

• Posted

I agree with Paul, so many different people and didn't things work for all of us

For me cutting down was my option and without this forum I doubt I would still be succeeding

Paul you are such a help and I thank you for all your opinions and advise xxx

• Posted

You are missing something, Jim, yes, but you are you and people here don't judge smile
    • Posted

Remembering booze rolleyes

In the manny times, I tried complete abstinence, I was rememberd to booze everywher, at work, at my friends houses, during party's and even when I walk over the Place de la Commedy, I smelt the booze litarly standing on the table (from 15 meters distance)

I realy do feel that this forum is the least thing which remembers me of booze, and for sure, I don't feel like picking up a drink, becouse of this forum.

Au contraire, the things I read realy help me, especialy the day's I don't take Selingro and don't drink.

• Posted

Yes Paul with an addiction issue which most of us have NO one has the right to judge smile
    • Posted

Hi Jim

Tell me how old you are and I'll tell you what you're missing....

I'm 77 and I quit maybe 15 years ago.  I've had about 6 beers in the last two years, but I know it will just aggravate my neuropathy which is bad enough now.  I watch some friends getting sloppy drunk but I don't enjoy talking with them much anymore.  It's like talking to two different people when someone has had too many.  And I had the misfortune to grow up with two alcoholic parents who fought all the time, and led pretty non-eventful lives.  But like Paul says 'we're all different', and there are different tricks to beat the alcohol game.  All of us have likely had to quit again and again, it's a very tough thing to do.  And it took me about 6-8 months to get to the "Booze?  So what? stage.  Different strokes for different folks......

Best of luck to you.

charley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.