90 years old grandmother should get hip replacement or not...

Posted , 10 users are following.

My 90 years old grandmother lives in China. She broke her hip about than 2 month ago. After she initially fell my uncles who lives in China (but not with her) thought she simply sprained her leg, so she was just bedridden for an entire month. My sister who lives the states went to visit her a month ago and discovered that she still bedridden and was in a lot of pain and decided to take her to the hospital for a checkup. It was discovered that she broke her hip (Intracapsular Fracture, the ball of the femur is broken). So due to negligence from my uncles she was left untreated for over a month. For the past month my sister and I have been trying to convince our grandmother to do a partial hip replacement.

She just did a physical and her organs are all in good shape and healthy, and deemed quite fit for hip replacement surgery. However, she is extremely afraid of the surgery and was reluctant to participate. In addition, one of the uncles refuse to let her do surgery because he believes that she’ll heal somehow and be able to sit again, and that the after effects of the surgery is not something he wants to deal with (if things go wrong). However I managed to convince her to do the surgery if I go back (I live in Canada) to see her through the surgery and early stages of recovery.

My grandmother has osteoporosis a bad knee and this newly broken hip. Before she broke her hip she could walk with assistance by using a walker or holding the wall, but not for long. For example she could go to the bathroom by herself or went to the shelf to get something. For majority of the day she alternates between sitting and laying down (probably about 50/50). Today she is mostly bedridden, she probably cannot sit for more than 1 hour before pain becomes unbearable. So she only sits up for her meals.

My thinking is that even if she somehow manages to sit up, it’s still gonna take her another few month bed ridden until she can sit upright, whereas after surgery she can sit up in days. I don’t have much hope for her to walk again but I figured sitting sooner has to be better for her health because I’ve confirmed with multiple doctors that bedridden increases your chances of having organ failure significantly. So if she does the surgery and successful recovery, her chances of living another few more years increases significantly.

Based on what I described do you think she should get the replacement? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Naah,

I think there may be a range of views on this.

This is a tough one for me. Clearly something is needed to reduce/eliminate your grandmother's pain. Did the surgeon offer any other options. My hesitation is because, this a tough operation from which to recover - esp if your grandmother is not abe to do the exercises to strengthen her muscles and other connective tissues and to minimize post surgical swelling and cramping. You might Google total hip replacement for video clips of the operation to understand how traumatic it is. If quesy, watch the animated version.

I wish I had clear advice for you but all I think we can do, is to give you as much information as we can to make an informed decision.

I honestly don't know what I would do in your place.

Sending big hugs as you wrestle with this decision.

L

• Posted

thank you linda. I have already watched the surgery video in its entirety and was aware of its recovery process. We looked for alternatives to surgery but they didn't help (including Chinese medicine and acupressure).The surgeon's initial opinion was that he thinks doing the surgery wont improve her ability to walk because of osteoperosis, but she wont be bedridden. We are still in process talking to the doctor/surgeon to figure out the best approach.

• Posted

My father broke his hip when he was 90. We thought he would never walk again, but he stayed a week or so in hospital and then carried on as before as if nothing had happened, he had been using a walker before he broke his hip and carried on with it. We were all amazed how well it went. He had to have a general anaesthetic as it was a particularly nasty break. Some old lady of 112 had a new hip last year. 

• Posted

thank you ptolemy smile Your grandfather must be a beast.

I did research on anethesia as well and as doctors only recommended partial replacement we want to request spinal anethesia instead as it is less invasive for her

• Posted

They would have preferred to do a spinal block, but because the break was quite nasty, they felt they had to do it under general anaesthetic. After the operation he seemed to spend his time sleeping and eating.
  • Posted

if she doesn't I feel her health with deteriorate.  If she was walking and getting around good and healthy.   Yes . I went thru a back surgery with a 80 year old . He yard sales and complains . So he's good 

• Posted

I wish my grandma would complain more, she is too nice trying to please everyone. I heard after she fell she sat up for 40mins in pain trying to please my cusin to show her she's better. Afterwards she secretly told my sister it was a lot of pain...

• Posted

Yes yes YES!!! Her pain would be reduced and she'd have much more of a quality of life and needn't be bedridden st all with support and love.DO IT!!!! Good luck.x

• Posted

smile My biggest concern as always been her quality of life laying in bed long term. Whatever age you are it can't be good for you.

• Posted

Dear Nahh,

Your grandmother is a remarkable woman. If you decide on surgery for her, you should weigh the positive outcomes and the negative. Too often older adults are not given full medical considerations because they are old. Blood loss can be significant with hip replacement surgery. Make sure she has access to her type of blood should you opt for surgery. She may require transfusions. Does she want the surgery? Recovery risks from any surgery increase exponentially the older one is. It sounds like her health, besides her mobility issues, is remarkable for her age. Osteoporosis means her bones are brittle and more susseptable to fracture than what is normal for a 90 year old adult female without osteoporosis.

You have a big decision to make. I am 73 and had major complications with my surgery. Major blood loss, and my surgeon damaged my femoral nerve. This means, for me, I am partially paralyzed for life. So research the surgeon who would operate on your grandmother. My surgeon has made many mistakes I discovered after my surgery. Too late! Do your homework, Nahh. Then decide what is best for your grandmother.

All the very best.

• Posted

thanks Sissyr. We called a few recommended surgeons in the city, one of them supposedly is from the best bone related injury hospital. He sounded drunk picking up the phone and was very slow to answer our questions. Next day when we called back he sounded more human like, but very impatient with us. We didn't trust him even though he was from the best hospital. In the end we found nice surgeon who is patient and considerate of our situation, and came recommended due to his experience operating on many 80+ patients on hip replacements, and just in our luck that the hospital is close where my grandmother lives.

The thing is in China it is generally difficult to find good doctor, let alone a surgeon. The best thing we were able to do was checking doctor rating websites on him.

What kind of questions do you think I should ask the surgeon to see if is any good?

• Posted

Ideally you need to find out how well his patients are after their operations. Also you need someone who does lots of hip operations. 
  • Posted

What a nightmare for you.

Will the surgery help - probably, but the risk of complications are much higher, osteoporosis in itself adds to the risks, the insert the put in you femur has to be hammered into that bone, if she has advanced osteoporosis the possibility of that bone breaking only adds to the possible complications.

How are her lungs and heart, general antheestic is going clog up her lungs, and her ability to be active and clear those lungs afterwards, its not just sitting up in bed after a hip replacement, you have to move around, on you feet, and get your blood circulating in you legs, otherwise you are going to develop clots and massive swelling, and that alone can kill you.

In australia where I am, even here they don't do hip replacements on 90 yr olds with osteoporosis, they just make them comfortable and let nature take its course, lack of movement, fluid on lungs, development of puenomia, non treament with anti-biotics, Dr once told me there's a lot worse ways to die, I agree with his statement, I watched my Mum die, Dad's was a lot more gentle with puenomia, he just drifted off, he was aware of what was happening, and of course thats the end I'm afraid.

• Posted

She's healthy everywhere except her bones (quite amazing for someone her age). I doubt she'll be able to exercise much after surgery as she was only able to stand for short periods of time before broken hip.

Many hospitals in China immediately refuse elderly look for hip replacement. We checked 5 hospitals and 4 of said they do it but it ultimately depends on the patient's condition.

I dont mean to be rude to bring this up, but did your parents break their hips? If so how long did they live without doing surgery?

• Posted

All my love to your grandmother and I wish for the best outcome possible for her.Youve done your homework and it's very obvious you are a very loving grandchild.Shes lucky to have you.Godbless you.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.