A great year

Posted , 22 users are following.

Last year after suffering a very bad flare I was depressed and sedentary. EileenH and others motivated me to get moving. I did 1/6 of a mile then 1/3, 2/3 finally a mile. It was very slow progress, as I hobbled along with my cane, I worked at it. I was ready for skiing. I didn't ride my bicycle was not ready, but ski I did, in fact I taught at 2 different ski areas in New Mexico. The other day I received a letter from Ski Mexico awarding me Ski Instructor of the Year for New Mexico. There is no way this could have happened without the help and knowledge I have received from this FORUM. I am think positive about another great ski season riding my bicycle up our mountain roads, working myself in better shape. It can be done, I did it, you can TO! With a smile on my face. Good luck on your Journeys ??

8 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Mich - you post on HealthUnlocked too don't you? Put it there too please.

• Posted

Yes I do from time to time. I will post it later. You were correct people do like my story. Getting ready to head out on the bike. You are a part of the success of this past year. Thanks ☺️
  • Posted

Well Michdonn!! Massive Congratulations to you, what an amazing inspiration you are to all of us here, but to all the people that you've taught to ski! You are always SO positive and always with a smile!! Keep doing what you're doing and you'll keep inspiring us! My knees and hip are crocked up and I fractured my ankle and toe 2 wks ago, so won't be skiing or cycling but will do more of something today than usual with you as my inspiration!! CONGRATULATIONS🎉😁💟

• Posted

Thank you Mrs Hobbles, I love to ski and I am just sharing my passion with people. I really do try to stay positive and keep smiling. My dad use to smile and the whole world smiles with you. So I try to keep that smile on my face.

Thanks ☺️

• Posted

Many congratulations form one octogenarian to another.
  • Posted

Well done! Such an inspiration, as always! You must be an amazing ski instructor with your good humour, smiles and positivity. It's what we all need. Keep going with your cycling and skiing, and keep that smile on your face!

Claire

• Posted

Thank you Claire JG, life is good, just keep plugging along, positive attitude and a smile. I may not be the best skier or instructor, but we have a good time, they leave skiing better and happy! ☺️
  • Posted

OH Michdonn, you never cease to surprise me! This post is one of the very reasons why you have been my inspiration on my PMR journey. With your positive attitude and ability to soar (on skis] you have kept me uplifted all the way. Well done to you, congratulations well deserved! 
    • Posted

Reeceregan, thank you I just a guy doing the best I can. I am happy to share my journey. I making the best of it and having a great time. With a smile on my face. ☺️
  • Posted

Congratulations! Forums are one of the better things that the intrernet has brought us!  
  • Posted

Well done Michdonn and so say all of us about the help we get from Eileen .
    • Posted

Michdonn, you are such an inspiration to us, I found myself thinking about you yesterday. I had walked much further than I should have and my legs were aching, then I found myself thinking of you and your cycling and skiing and how you’d been in a wheelchair last year. Thoughts of your achievements spurred me on and I got home!

Thank you!

• Posted

I am glad Claire, but I am very human and screw-up from time to time. The other day feeling stronger than I am I over did it and now sitting on the couch resting a sore hip. But I am thinking positive a bit of naproxen, rest and I will be back on the bike with a smile. ☺️
    • Posted

You are amazing.  However, we others must realize that all of us are NOT capable of such activities, and must do the best we can with what we are capable of.  Keep smiling!!!
    • Posted

Elijo, I never think of myself as amazing, just an 80 year old doing the best I can. 56 years ago I found out I was a type 2 Diabetic. With diet and exercise I could help control the condition. So instead of crying about it I started to control my condition. That decision has been my journey through life. Make the best of the situation and move forward, which I have done and will continue to do! I really do think positive and have a smile on my face. Always looking for the next Adventure! ☺️
    • Posted

Great attitude, and happy you can do those things.  Some of us other old codgers have different talents, such as this old codger at 90 who still has a good mind, good health most of the time, and still does most of the day to day activities that younger folks do.  Yes, I do have a great sense of humor and love to laugh, however, sometimes when we are experiencing  devastating pain (as I did when I broke my pelvis in 3 places it is difficult to smile, just grin and bear it).
    • Posted

I understand that Elijo, when I was in the wheelchair with PMR, believe I was not smiling. It was the motivation I received from this forum that got me up and moving. The wisdom, knowledge and guidance I have got on this forum has gotten me to this point on my PMR journey. Stay with it think positive and try to get that smile on your face. Here is smiling you kid! ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.