A great year

Posted , 22 users are following.

Last year after suffering a very bad flare I was depressed and sedentary. EileenH and others motivated me to get moving. I did 1/6 of a mile then 1/3, 2/3 finally a mile. It was very slow progress, as I hobbled along with my cane, I worked at it. I was ready for skiing. I didn't ride my bicycle was not ready, but ski I did, in fact I taught at 2 different ski areas in New Mexico. The other day I received a letter from Ski Mexico awarding me Ski Instructor of the Year for New Mexico. There is no way this could have happened without the help and knowledge I have received from this FORUM. I am think positive about another great ski season riding my bicycle up our mountain roads, working myself in better shape. It can be done, I did it, you can TO! With a smile on my face. Good luck on your Journeys ??

8 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Congratulations.  I know Eileen and others were encouraging you and no disrespect to them but you were the one who did it. Well done. 
    • Posted

Believe me Silver, if it was not for EileenH and a couple of others, I could not have done it. Yes, I was the one who did it, but I was no alone on my journey and I did not have a smile at the start when I need a cane to get up and to walk. But little by little I walked a little more my attitude changed and I got a smile on my face. ☺️
  • Posted

Hi Michdonn

Many congrats...you really do motivate me with your encouragement to always smile:-

S.Self

M. Motivation

I. Is

L.Living

E. Evidence......

to get through PMR and succeed.....you have proved it Michdonn!

I'm smiling as i write......👍👏😊

• Posted

Well done - I’m only 70 but some days feel like 100 😊

• Posted

Jan, you are only as old as you feel, I really stopped worry about age, I push 3 days a week on my bicycle trying to build my legs back up. But a little over a year ago I could not walk. Just a little more each day, don't over do it, listen to your body. Think positive and try to smile. ??

• Posted

What a lovely and inspirational story. Thank you for sharing.
    • Posted

You are welcome amkoffee, a lot to smile about. ☺️
  • Posted

Unbelievable!  THE Instructor of the year... This must be a some sort of record - not too many 80+ year old ski, let alone teach others how to ski.

Hey I think we should all book a trip to NM and get a lesson from our fellow PMR instructor biggrin .  Now that you have set the bar so high, what is your next year goal?

• Posted

Nick, I want to up my level of PSIA certificate. No resting on my laurels. Skiing has been a passion since I was a teenager. Are you a skier? Never too old! ☺️
    • Posted

I started late, mid 30s and was going every season while boys were young, mostly local in Wisconsin and upper Michigan, but once a year we were going to Colorado. When I moved to California, I visited just about every ski place up and down 395 Mammoth, June and places around Tahoe.  Haven't gone lately after moving to Japan.

• Posted

Nick, I think I have skied all the areas around Tohoe. At one point was thinking of relocating to the Mt. Rose area, but stay in the east. I thought there was some very good skiing in Japan. Got to keep moving. ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.