a partial knee replacement

Posted , 17 users are following.

I'm 55 and going to have a partial knee replacement next month I'm getting scared the closer it gets and wondering what to expect (on every detail from start to finish)thx terri

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't know about a partial, but for a TKR...

Most Important...  Everyone heals at their own pace.  Don't judge yourself by anyone else's progress.  This is between you, your PT and your doc.

That being said...here are some "ballpark" estimates...

1. Take you pain meds.  This is not a test of endurance.  Need 'em?  Take 'em.  Ballpark: Most people are off the the opioids in 4-6 weeks; some need them longer  800mg Ibuprophin or Tramadol after that if you need it.

2. It's really, really painful...no getting around it...especially the first month.  Don't measure your pain levels daily...monthly is better as you'll see dramatic changes  from the longer time span.  Ballpark:  The worst of the pain will probably be gone within 90 days...but again, everyone's different.   

3. Assistance...  Crutches, walker, cane...whatever you need for as long as you need it.  Ballpark... Most people are off of all those items within 90 days.  Gotta start to learn how to walk on your own again. (NOTE: This may not apply to people with previous hip/knee/leg problems or to the elderly.)

4. PT...  Gotta do it.  Your therapist will work with you to both straighten and bend your knee.  Full range of motion is zero degrees straight and greater than 120 degrees bent ( 0 / +120 ).  I started at -14 / +84 and finished 9 weeks of PT at -1 / +128.  Ballpark...  Depending on age, previous conditions, individual circumstances, you should shoot for the full range of motion goal.  If you can't get there at PT (I was still one degree from straight), finish the work in the gym or therapy pool.  The closer you get the better...but again, everyone's different.  You should consult with your doc and PT.

5. Exercise...  After PT, ya gotta rebuild the muscles in your leg, especially the quad.  Walking, swimming, stairs, whatever.  Have to rebuild your strength to support the knee.  Ballpark...  Since it's during and after PT, this work usually falls within the 3 to 6-month range for most people.

6. Swelling...  This is the knee's way of telling you that you overdid it.  Back off, ice, elevation, rest.  Ballpark...  Everyone does this at one point or another.  Listen to and learn from your body.  Avoid pushing it too far.

7. Long Recovery...  That "swollen look", popping and clicking sounds, stiffness...all normal.  Ballpark...  All of this should resolve in 12-18 months.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

I think that was a PERFECT list of expectations! Wish I had known all of that. I'm 11 weeks out TKR and doing great. But for the first 8-9 weeks I thought life would never be normal again.

• Posted

Is it faster and less painful to recover from a partial?  No clue.  I'm 4 months out from my TKR.  Off all drugs, virtually zero pain, walking smoothly...but...still feel stiffness, especially at night or when I've been sitting too long, plus still working on leg strength.  I hope it's less for people with partials because after four knee scopes, two shoulder ops, a hip replacement and four fused vertebrae, the TKR was the absolutely most painful experience I have endured so far...and I have the other knee to do someday.  It seems that 44 years of hockey has had a somewhat profound effect on my body when I reached my 50's and now 60's...

• Posted

Good job Chico, wish I'd had this 21 months ago. I found the group about 3 months after my bilateral TKR and what a huge relief. Especially with the poppling/clicking noise - I thought for sure something wasn't right. I would add to the swelling - this can be normal for up to a year or more. Icing is a must. Sometimes it swells without doing much of anything. Keep using ice as much as needed. And after tendons and muscles are mended and settling back into place, you can add heat. I had much more pain with them behind my knee than I did with the side with the sutures; completely unexpected. - Mo

• Posted

Hi!

Relax! Just think about a positive outcome that, with time for recovery, will bring you A LOT of relief from pain.

I've had both knees replaced. My cousin had a partial knee replacement six weeks before my second knee was done. Recovery was similar.

Expect to be tired because your body will be working hard to heal. Eat well, and drink lots of water to rid yourself of toxins from anesthesia and medication.

Many may disagree with me, but MY pain following surgery ( both of them) was A LOT less than the pain I had for over five years PRIOR to my surgeries! You may find this to be true as well!

Keep coming here and please let us know how you are doing!

I will pray for calm and strength for you!

• Posted

I agree with you Cheryl...sorta. The pain was different. Sometimes there is comfort in the known and because of the pain during recovery is very new and it's hard to know what is normal. This group sure helped me realize it was all normal. I remember the first time I was hit with how much better I was, it was after standing in the kitchen cooking for hours and I realized my knees didn't hurt like they used to from standing. Hallelujah!

• Posted

Glad to hear that you, too, experienced so much LESS pain that you were able to do all the standing while cooking like you did! It IS worth rejoicing about, for SURE! 🙌😁😊🙌

• Posted

Congrats to you for going through with this- a lot of people will not take the short term pain for the long term gain. Others have spelled out quiet well what to expect, the only thing that hit me that I didn't expect was the numbness (kind of like when your foot falls asleep) of my knee. Some say the feeling may return in time others say not.  I'm currently 9 wks post op from a partial, and evaluation on Friday determined I'm at about 90% of full function.  I did a lot of strengthening prior to surgery.  Be patient about getting back to "normal" and keep your spirits up when frustration creeps in.

• Posted

I'm still numb too! Weirder yet, the hair by my scar will not be shaved off! The razor goes right over it! Weirdest thing ever!!

• Posted

"Never give up!  Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Really? That is odd. How long has it been? I was having my legs waxed at first...so I had them ignore that at first. But then by the time I was 6 months po, I had them remove the hair. Now I just shave with no problems (cheap waxing was available in India, not in the USA), and I'm at 21 months.

• Posted

Hi Terri. I believe Chic Marx has covered what you can expect after your surgery but feel free to ask questions you might have further to this. I'm 9 weeks out from TKR and doing fine except for the stiffness and this wakes me at night. One bit of advice I would give is to start exercising your quads and leg muscles now daily as the stronger they are the better the recovery. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.