a partial knee replacement

Posted , 17 users are following.

I'm 55 and going to have a partial knee replacement next month I'm getting scared the closer it gets and wondering what to expect (on every detail from start to finish)thx terri

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Terri. I believe Chic Marx has covered what you can expect after your surgery but feel free to ask questions you might have further to this. I'm 9 weeks out from TKR and doing fine except for the stiffness and this wakes me at night. One bit of advice I would give is to start exercising your quads and leg muscles now daily as the stronger they are the better the recovery. Xx

• Posted

Hello !

I had a partial knee replacement 7 1/2 weeks ago and it was the best thing I could have done ! NOW I say that but it was very difficult for about the first 4-6 weeks. This last week I am really able to feel like my self again. At times almost forgetting I had it done. But that being said I am still iceing and elevating as much as I can. Very important to do so. I agree with everything that has been said about the recovery. It is right on. Everyone heals at differently. One thing I know is please keep coming to this forum. I could have not gotton through without the very kind and helpful people. Whenever I was haveing a down day or thought why did I do this or just needed someone to understand I came back here. I wish you the best and sending prayers your way. Oh year and take the pain meds regularly. This I learned the hard way .  Let us know how you are getting along.

Debbie

• Posted

Start now strengthening your quads. You can go to you tube and get video of the necessary excercise. Weak quads are what most peole find are the biggest problem getting the leg moving and all of the excercises depend on strong quads and you still have the time to help your cause. Good luck and stay with this group. Things are bound to come up that will make you think you are out there all by yourself but you can bet there will be someone somewhere in the world that will be online and able to help. That's the great thing about this site......everyone has been through it and understands pain and being alone and afraid. You suddenly have friends of all ages and areas.

• Posted

Hi Terri, I had my partial done on 6 Nov 2015, aged 71. Right knee, medial compartment (inside). I was admitted as an NHS patient to a private hospital. It was planned for me to be in 3 days, I went home on crutches on 9 Nov, I went to my GP's nurse on 19 Nov for dressing removal (my stitches were the self disolving staple type). On 24 Nov back to hospital for PT assessment. Saw surgeon for assessment on 29 Dec. Given the OK to drive again and come off crutches. Returned to work driving buses on 26 Jan 2016.

I had already decided that for some 8 weeks prior to surgery I went to my sports injury therapist for massage and exercises to strengthen my knee before surgery. I did it again after the first two weeks after returning home. This was extra, my expense, my personal choice. Not what my surgeon or PT people at hos[pital wanted.

I also had an added disadvantage of a heart arrythmia and am on an anticoagulent, Warfarin. So, I had to come off it for surgery. But it all went like a dream. I was operated on late morning and up and around on crutches by mid afternoon and for the rest of that day I was into my exercises.  Next day up and around on crutches wandering around the hospital. I am in Cornwall, UK and the NHS gave me a book of exercises with the number of times each exercise  was to be done each day. I did it - no arguments. Initially I was a bit stupid with pain relief ( because of the Warfarin I can only take CoCodomol. I have prescription grade CoCodomol 30/500 - that worked) but I used it only as a pill in the pocket and took it when I needed it........ wrong! It didn't work. When I took it exactly as prescribed it did work. The point is that if you don't take pain relief you will not be able to effectively do your exercises which in turn will hamper your recovery and ability to walk properly long term. Take your time. I stayed on crutches until 29 Dec however, as the pain subsided, as my ability to go for walks on crutches improved I gently, gradually, progressively made my leg/knee do more and more work to build up its strength. That way by the time I threw away my crutches I was almost normal. So, take your time. Remember, your have had major, barbaric surgery treat your knee with respect, but don't go soft on it, if you see what I mean. Another tip - if you have a liost of exercises go onto Youtube and in the search box type in the name of the exercise - or - type in exercises after partial knee replacement. you will discover a wealth of short videos depicting the exercises and I found these worth heaps more than a booklet or a bit of paper telling you what to do. You actually see what is happening. Remember - every time you do your exercises it is one step closer to recovery. Do try and focus on 1) getting your leg straight and 2 getting the knee to bend you need to aim for a 120 degree bend but 135 would be ideal. You won't achieve either immediately - its a work in progress - a gradual process. If you need to measure your progress, and assuming there is nothing wrong with your non operated knee, that is your yardstick .... in other words, whatever you can do with your non operated knee is what you should try and aim for with your operated knee.

I'm now 8 and half months post op and I am aware that I have an bit of prosthesis in my knee, an implant, it feels different to my birth knee (non operated knee). I can't kneel but then at 71 I ain't gonna be proposing to anyone anytime soon, I feel a slight handicap when playing with my grandchildren aged 2 and 5 - just be aware that I have to be a bit cautious, but hey thats all. Probably a dream run.

Hope this helps good luck ..... may the force be with you .

John

• Posted

Hi John

I have been wondering about the kneeling . I am 7 1/2 weeks PKR and was with my almost 2 year old granddaughter yesterday and was tempted to try kneel on the knee. No one ever said that you could or could not .Are we not suppose to ?

Thanks !

Debbie

• Posted

Debbie, I've heard both that it's okay and that it's not. I figure I don't want to do anything that might lessen the life of my knees. That said, I have had times when I needed to kneel...sometimes to get up from the floor or up onto my bed to reach my ceiling fan. One knee I can do it without any pain, the other not so much. There is still numbness 21 months post op, so that's one of the challenges.

• Posted

So aside from the possible pain what harm could kneeling actually do? I'm just finding situations where I really want to try . Mostly I guess when I'm with grandchild and to kneel on bed and cleaning . I mean I never could before but just feel as though i have a new knee. I don't know I can work around it but .....

Thanks for the reply !

Debbie

• Posted

Talk to your surgeon to get his opinion. Every one is different and the soft tissue grows differently as well. Some Dr's say no to any kind of kneeling others tell you it's ok if you use a pillow or something soft. Sometimes it's the overall condition of the back, hip and leg as well as the knee. Go slowly. I've been 12 years since my 1st one and then started through the last bunch of surgeries and I was never able to get down and now not allowed to. A week ago I got up at 5 a.m. to go to the bathroom, took 7 or 8 steps and my hip collapsed causing me to drop straight down and tank my foot up.......I went through my maximum 117 bend to what seemed like 135 in the bat of the eye. I let out a yell and dropped straight to my knee, then hit my head on floor, shoulder on the wall and then my back on something.....with all that the knee hurt the worst and scared me the most.

Just be careful and don't move too rapidly

• Posted

Oh my goodness, that sounds horrible! How are you feeling now?
    • Posted

Debbie, I love how these questions that are posed on the forum encourage me to google. I found and interesting study "Ability to kneel after total knee replacement" that was done in Australia, but posted on boneandjoint org. Basically their conclussion was that "Negative advice given to patients regarding kneeling seems to have arisen out of concern for the prosthesis, but there are no published data concerning this risk." They studied 100 knees and some could kneel, some who could were told they shouldn't and therefore didn't think they could, some couldn't because of other physical restrictions. Of those who could and did, there was some discomfort among some and others had no discomfort.

Here's another take on the same study:

There was a group able to kneel without pain or with only mild pain (score 0 to 4) and another group of patients unable to kneel because of pain in the knee (5 to 10). Patients stating they couldn't kneel due to hip or back pain were excluded.

64 patients were able to kneel without pain or discomfort or with mild discomfort only.

12 were unable to kneel because of problems which were not related to the knee.

24 were unable to kneel because of discomfort in the knee.

54 patients avoided kneeling because of uncertainties or recommendations from doctors, nurses, friends.

Bottom Line on Kneeling After Knee Replacement

You may find that different doctors have different opinions on whether it's acceptable to kneel after knee replacement surgery. It also may be that your own physical condition may make it more or less difficult for you individually. While not a great deal of research is done in this area, it's something for you and your doctor to work out.

eek How's that for an answer?

• Posted

It's pretty perfect ! Sry I could have goggled but I feel as though you sound very knowledgeable . And sometimes I still need further talking it out with someone . Two minds better than one . Two friends better together helping each other right ?

So bottom line is there is no bottom line lol.

I am 58, thin , in good health , no other physical issues I'm going to try it out ! Actually last night I kinda jumped on my bed that knee first ( actually forgot about it being the new knee) and ouch there was a moment of what the .. Did I just do . But all is well .

Appreciate your detailed and most helpful investigated answer . I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

Take care friend !

Debbie

• Posted

Oh my gosh ! Good heavens that's quite a fall . Sounds like you are alright . i can't imagine falling on my knee . I by accident jumped on my bed that knee first and it did hurt pretty good . No pain now but it scared me a bit .

I will check with Doctor . In the end I could survive and not bend on it but there are times it would be easier and I feel even safer than trying to do some things with that leg in a straight position .

Thank you, always love to hear from you and I'm so glad you are ok. Yeah the getting up at night bathroom trip always fun on the dark!

Take care ,

Blessings !

Debbie

• Posted

Terri,

I forgot to say - you will probably need to learn to walk again. So ...... its heel, ball of foot and toe. , Heel, ball, toe, heel ball toe. All part of the process. It makes your leg work properly. Remember you will have been in pain for so long with your injured knee that it will have changed your gait.

For me the big. BIG bonus was I had shedloads of lower back pain and Sacrilliac joint (Si joint) pain for years prior to surgery and in fact my right leg was measured at one point to be 1 inch shorter than my left leg. All that has now gone - a distant memory.

John

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your discussion

I fully agree with you. I had my first knee operation in the early 80s. I'd been getting a lot of pain and constrained pressure group, and the surgeon had revealed the end of my femur was crumbling in the knee. His result was to take a part of bone from the tibia and nail it on to the knee joint. "It won't last for ever," he said cheerily. "But hopefully it will see you through until we can come up with something better."

• Posted

I am having a partial knee replacement June 2nd. Very anxious because like all of us I don't know what to expect. I am 68 and very active and hoping to be about to drive in two weeks. I have tried everything and now the shots do not work. I work with a limp and regularly pull my back out.i guess I am afraid the pain will be so bad I will not be able to stand it... I am having a spinal and feel better about that.. Any words of encouragement will help😕

• Posted

Hi Linda!

Had a partial almost one year ago . Best thing I did ! Tough first few days , week . I think I was driving at 3 weeks and back to work at 4. Most will say that was all too soon and I agree . It's not a walk in the park like I thought it would be .

Must ice, ice, ice, take pain Meds , don't skip as you'll need them . Do exercises but only as your knee allows. I did only a few very simple ones . My doctor said I had to just heal for a good couple of weeks . I listened! Rest is so important too . I'm sure you'll get other advice . This site was so helpful and supportive in my early days . Wishing you a great new knee !

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Linda,

?I had a partial (right knee, medial compartment) on 6 Nov 2015. If you are in UK, if you are still on pain control meds you will not be able to legally drive for about 6 to 8 weeks and then with the approval of your Consultant. Of course you can do whatever you like - your call - but if you are on meds for pain control, AND are involved in an accident and you are both alcohol and drug tested by the cops - you're gone ! I would discuss this with your car insurers. I would personally doubt that 2 weeks out from surgery you will have had your stitches out.

I had disolving stitches and my dressing removed 13 days after surgery. Even if I'd wanted to I could not have driven at that stage.

You must take your pain control as prescribed all through the day - every day. If you don't you won't be able to handle the exercises. If you don't do your exercises as instructed your surgery will be a failure.

I do suggest you go onto Youtube and search for exercises to do after a partial knee replacement. These are good - they explain what to do - AND MORE IMPORTANTLY - why you are doing them.

?Be prepared for a fair amount of loss of sleep for a few weeks. Make sure you have a reasonably high chair to sit in, a low sofa is not helpful. You must concentrate on getting a good bend (flexion) in your knee and getting it straight too. The Youtube videos will show you what I mean.

?As debbie08326 says, its not a walk in the park - actually - its the nearest thing to butchery you can imagine.

?I was done as an NHS patient in a private hospital and hospital/consultant policy was I had to get a 90 degree bend in the operated knee before being allowed home. I achieved this by day 3 when I was discharged.

?If you have a good leg, use this as a guide as to what progress your operated knee is making.

I was 71 when operated on, with a heart arrythmia and on warfarin so was more of a challenge to consultant and anethetist than most people. no problems.

Nowadays, yes I am pain free, 7 lords a leaping comes to mind. I still work 30 hours a week driving a tourist bus and handling passenger luggage. I live in Cornwall and can handle the challenges of the South West Coastal path - BUT - I am always aware that my new knee is different to my non operated knee.

May the force be with you.

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.