a positive colonoscopy experience from an anxiety sufferer

Posted , 12 users are following.

The procedure and the prep went well. Here's my tips

Prep (movieprep)

- Follow the instructions provided by the hospital

- The solution tastes like lempsip .. i just downed each glass.

- Be prepared to camp out in the loo. If you live alone think of everything you'll need and take it with you. do this in advance. (e.g. laptop, chair to put things on, water) and of course the prep.

- the 2nd litre you drink acts lots more quickly than the first so be prepared to go to the loo sooner

- Avoid filling your boots with food on the days before the prep starts. Take it easy and the prep will be easier

Diet

- Living without solid food is easy when you can eat orange jelly

- You don't yearn for protein if you have the chicken broth (strained)

The procedure

- take advantage of the fact you have a nurse right by you. talk to them about anything as the conversation will distract you and more importantly relax you relieving you of any anxiety. I was even laughing an joking in mine (remember i am an anxiety sufferer)

- it didn't hurt me

- parp all you like .. you must and you can minimise any cramps

Talk to your GP in advance can help

- If you're anxious / a worrier then talk to your doctor in advance of the procedure

- it's not a lifetime choice but taking anti-anxiety drugs , even a tiny dose could help you significantly. They also give you a break from worry extremes so you can regather your thoughts and take the opportunity to reprogramme yourself if you wish.

5 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've got to go for my first colonscopy as there may be a genetic link and i am petrified as suffer with health anxiety and constantly think it will be cancer!

• Posted

Sounds like you had a good experience which is good and I have aniexty and had a cystoscopy and biposy done on Thursday and I was so scared and I thought I was going to have a panic attack but I remain calm the entire I had a very good experience with that now i still got to do this one which I should have done already done was suppose to on the 13th and was not all the way cleaned out so I am going back and getting done and over with I want a good experience on this one as well. Happy it went well for you that is how its suppose to be.
  • Posted

Hi. I just turned 50 and am terrified of the prep for the colonoscopy. So scared that I can't think of anything else. I'm afraid that the diarrhea will be so forceful that I'll faint from it. I'm truly scared beyond reason.

• Posted

Make sure you ask about the side effects after the test is done I had mine done yesterday and still having dizzy spells and the room spinning there going to hear this morning when I call over there. There going to have to give me something to stop it.
    • Posted

The prep even though is the worst to do you use Gatorade and Mirlax for that and 4, tablets of Durcolax that's what they had me use and with into 30 minutes mine was done drank but I was feel nauseated from it then it wasn't away it wasn't bad I am not feeling any pain from this test just the dizziness and a slight headache.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.