A positive experience with Fluoxetine!

Posted , 16 users are following.

It is the nature of these forums that in many instances people only tend to post negative experiences rather than positive ones. Below is my experience of Fluoxetine (Prozac) which I hope will reassure and comfort those who are either worrying about taking, or who have just started taking Fluoxetine.

I am a 38-year-old male, living in London and freelancing in the film industry in a very high-pressure and extremely stressful job. Without boring everyone senseless with the whole story, back in February 2007, about six months after getting married, I was diagnosed with Dysthymia, a mild form of depression. I felt very dissatisfied with my life, I would quite often wake-up in the middle of the night feeling that I couldn’t go on and would sometimes have thoughts of suicide, and I had a terrible temper. To begin with the diagnosis was a relief but I think deep down I had trouble accepting that I had depression and I was totally against taking any form of anti-depressants. I started taking EPA (fish oil), which is supposed to help, and I saw a Psychologist once a week. However things didn’t get any better. As the feelings got worse my frustration increased and my temper also got worse. My Wife and I had terrible arguments and it didn’t help that at the same time we were in the middle of a very complicated house purchase, and subsequent lengthy renovation, and she also suffered a miscarriage as well. About a year ago I switched from seeing a Psychologist to a Psychotherapist in the hope that “talking” would somehow unlock whatever was wrong with me but despite having a two-hour session a week things didn’t improve. My Wife, who has some experience of depression herself couldn’t understand why I wouldn’t try anti-depressants but I was absolutely terrified of them. All the stories that I remembered from a couple of years ago about Seroxat didn’t help but it was really just the thought of putting a chemical into my brain that might change me forever and turn me into some-sort of catatonic, drugged up automaton that frightened me. Also, although I knew three people who had taken anti-depressants and all three of them had nothing but positive experiences, they were all women and a little bit of me thought that having depression and taking pills was not something that men did.

As the months went on things got worse and worse in my marriage. My refusal to take any sort of medication, together with my Wife’s understandable disappointment and resentment at the terrible start to our marriage meant that we argued almost incessantly. I would explode with rage at the slightest provocation, usually at my Wife, and I began to see her as the cause of all my woes and think that maybe if she had been a “better wife” then maybe things would have got better. It was her fault: she had “caused” my depression.

As this year wore on life just got worse. My wife and I almost couldn’t spend any time together without arguing and the arguments were sometimes really awful and a couple of times I felt very close to hitting her. After these rages and arguments would come an almost debilitating level of grief that would exhaust me.

Finally about two months ago I knew that I had to take the pills in order to save my marriage. All the experts said that I had to take them for myself, not just for my wife and my marriage, but I knew I had to make some sort of gesture to my wife or my marriage would have been over.

Under the care of a Psychiatrist I was prescribed 20mg of Fluoxetine. Just before I started to take them I made the very very big mistake of Googling Fluoxetine and found this site, and many others, full of details of the awful side effects that people had suffered. My already substantial fear increased massively and it was all I could do to take that first pill.

Now after two months of taking the medication I can report that it has already made a substantial difference to my life and I have had no real side effects. To begin with for the first three weeks or so I felt very slightly spaced-out but it was nothing that really affected me and it certainly didn’t have any detrimental effect on my day-to-day life. Maybe in the first week getting to sleep took a little bit longer but that was it. My appalling temper has all but disappeared and I find I can cope with things much better. My Wife and I haven’t had a terrible row for at least four weeks and that in-itself is cause for optimism. I suppose the only real side effects have been that my libido has declined and for a long time any form of alcohol was completely out of the question. Even one glass of wine, or bottle of beer, would wipe me out for the next couple of days. I basically stopped drinking for two months, which was probably a good thing on many levels! I also seem to have lost a bit of weight as well but whether that is due to the pills or the lack of alcohol is impossible to say but either way I'm not complaining!

The point of this lengthy posting is to say that whilst it is undeniable that many people have suffered really appalling side effects, there are many, like me, who haven’t. From being implacably opposed to the medication I am now a fervent advocate and think that the world would probably be a better place if the majority of the population took anti-depressants! This is not to say that the pills have completely solved all the issues in my life, and I continue to see the Psychotherapist every week, but they have made a big difference. I bitterly regret not taking the pills sooner and for having caused my Wife so much pain and anguish over the last eighteen months. It remains to be seen if the damage I have done to her and to our marriage is too great to repair but without the pills there would have been no hope at all.

I realise that I have been very lucky in suffering from a relatively mild form of the depression that has been alleviated quickly by medication that I responded well to without any side effects and it certainly not my intention to make light of the suffering of others. All I wanted to do was to recount a positive experience and hopefully provide some reassurance to others who find themselves in the same situation.

Finally, I don’t know if it makes a difference but I never take the pills on an empty stomach. I always make sure that I have a decent breakfast before taking them and that I take them with a couple of large glasses of juice.

:D

8 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not everyone posts negative comments.This site is people's experiences so everyone's different.People just give there honest opinion.
  • Posted

I have just read your post after returning from the Doctors. He prescribed me this anti-depressant today and I have done what you did and gone straight on the net to see other peoples views on it.

I am glad I read your story. It has made all the difference.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi

Good to hear your story. It's almost a mirror image of mine, what with all the rage and bad temper and inflicting pain on my other half whom I love dearly. I'm so glad you posted. I have been taking these for about a week now and had two really bad migraines with vomitting. I phoned the doc and he told me to stick it out and that it would get better. All I can say is that the migraine is still so much better than the way I felt. I do feel slightly space-out but it's better than being frustrated with anger and bad feeling so I'm carrying on with it.

I wish you luck and happiness.

• Posted

Good post, really reassuring, thanks :-) I also think it's good to hear the good and the not so great. Refreshing!!

Jemima

• Posted

Hi your post is very similar to mine, my depression started from Postnatal depression a while ago, I have 3 daughters the youngest being 8 months and unplanned! I have been on Lustral - sertraline for the past couple of years but due to weight gain and loss of libido the doctor is now changing me to Fluoxetine. What I wanted to ask is has the sex drive come back?? I noticed you said it had deteriorated?!?!? The doctor seems to think I will be better off on these for both that and the weight gain as I could loose any weight before. Im glad things are picking up for you though, Im on my \"week off\" before I start the fluoxetine and have turned into a complete Physco again, the kids are getting shouted at my hubbys getting shouted at and I hate myself for it and the way it makes me feel. Im really hoping these will be the answer... for now anyway!
  • Posted

[quote:fcdaeab701=\"AK\"]Hi your post is very similar to mine, my depression started from Postnatal depression a while ago, I have 3 daughters the youngest being 8 months and unplanned! I have been on Lustral - sertraline for the past couple of years but due to weight gain and loss of libido the doctor is now changing me to Fluoxetine. What I wanted to ask is has the sex drive come back?? I noticed you said it had deteriorated?!?!? The doctor seems to think I will be better off on these for both that and the weight gain as I could loose any weight before. Im glad things are picking up for you though, Im on my \"week off\" before I start the fluoxetine and have turned into a complete Physco again, the kids are getting shouted at my hubbys getting shouted at and I hate myself for it and the way it makes me feel. Im really hoping these will be the answer... for now anyway![/quote:fcdaeab701]

Sweetie, Unfortunately I am not the person to ask on the libido front, because I can't get excited about sex!!! I can only have sex when drunk. Sad for me. But it is 100% true. I don't know about sex drive (I don't have any). I think it works differently for different people. I didn't have sex drive before so this is a hard question to answer since I could be a nun!!! I hate me , I hate myself, but that is the easy way out. Beat self up and all will be well. I know that that is not true and we all need to take responsibility okay. Including me.

Late at night. I'm merry. Sorry.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your post, I was prescribed on Monday and I havent had the courage to take them. I will start with a full stomach tomorrow morning. The best is yet to come!
  • Posted

Just like you I spent a lot of time googling and then worrying because of the dominance of bad experiences on the net.  I sat with the first pill in my hand for about 15 minutes before finally taking it.   I haven't been taking them long enough to know about side effects and the main thing I'm worried about is loss of libido smile but hearing a positive story has definitely reassured me that it was the right thing to do to try.  I hope you managed to save your relationship.  Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi there: Just wondering what your experinece has been taking this drug? I have been googling it and I'm getting mostly negative reviews and horrible withdrawal stories. Anything you can share, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Posted

I have this excessive thoughts, worries, fear almost everyday.. I've notice it started when I felt that I don't have any interest in my everyday activitiesm then I got easily affected by stress and other negative emotions, that there is one time I've experience stress over a stress over a disappointment. I have hard times to deal witht this. I kept running with my mind. I can't focus on my Job, I kept thinking that my co worker will seen me that I will go crazy. That's why I quitted my Job. Now I am on my 2nd week of flouxetine the generic of prozac. I feel restless most particularly in my legs, I frequently urinating, I am obsses in surfing the net, only looking for a way to get me better. I feel constant worrying starting January 2016 until now that I am in the medication for 2 weeks. I feel more anxious and dread everytime I woke up that it seems I don't want to wake up anymore. I hope by waiting for another 2 weeks the flouxetine will give me the result. I miss my old self. worry free and full of motivation and positivity in life

• Posted

Hi Traviz, I am feeling the same. On my 16th day so far. Are you feeling better?
    • Posted

so far in my 24th day of flouxetine I feel much better compare from last 2 weeks.. But the dreadful morning is still there, still indecisive, no motivation, waiting for the day to end, lact of interest in my work (though I am currently doing turnover). I hope after 4 to 6 weeks I will be back on my old self. But now I am sad because I will leave my work which I stayed for almost 6 years. 
  • Posted

Im on day 5 of fluoxetine, was prescribed for Anxiety and panic,,, the first 3 days i had major headache and couldnt sleep, now the past two day i have slept like a baby but i have major anxiety and for that i take alprazolam.........did anyone here have more anxiety at first and when did it finally go away,,, that'  is all that is bothering me......
  • Posted

Hi there: Just wondering how things have been working out on this drug? I have been prescribed this med 10mg a day to start and I am TERRIFIED reading all the negative reviews. I am curious to know if you are still taking this med, if you had to increase the dose, or if perhaps you stopped taking it and if so, if you had any withdrawal issues? I personally need an emotional break from my life, stressors in it, some health issues and anxiety. Thank you for replying!!! 
  • Posted

I'm glad you posted this even though it was a year ago. I'm about to try it for the first time so I went on here hoping to see more positive posts. I'm sure glad I found your post and one other from a nice lady. I guess all I can do is try the 10mg every other day and if any upsetting side effects occur I will just stop taking it right away. I'm also on Ativan 0.5 one whole pill in the morning and also on Gabapetin two times daily. The reason I recently asked my doctor about Prozac is because I feel its best to ween of the Ativan and other previous Benzo's I was on. I've taken so many antidepressants in the past and didn't do very well on them for long term but even short term I couldn't handle the side effects. I'm having bad anxiety and I'm scared when it comes to trying new meds. I just have to remember I can stop it if it doesn't work out. I'm really hoping it works out though. Some people say to stick with the Benzos cause they work faster and better,that does seem to be true but for me the side effects I get are like drinking alcohol,clumsy,dizzy and in- balanced upon standing and bad judgment and mild forgetfulness.

Now the psychiatrist is keeping me on my Ativan dosage until I have been on Prozac for at least 4weeks so it can help with any anxiety that may occur with the Prozac while I'm getting used to it.

So that makes me feel a little better and then after 4 weeks only take half of Ativan until she gives me further notice. I'm hoping I get brave and try the Prozac on oh wow this Friday which happens to be January 13th 2017. Then I will have the weekend to observe myself on it. At least I'm glad its every other day and a low dose to start. I feel better about that too. Sorry if I repeated myself.

So what really scares me is that I will be taking five meds and eventually four if I get off the Ativan.

Well see if the Prozac works and allows me to not rely on Benzo's anymore or at least for a long time.

Thanks again for your post,I'm trying to feel hopeful. Blessings to you.

• Posted

Hello Mrs karen,

i understand how you may be feeling taking a new med, i looked at my first tablet for ages before taking it. I sat and waited for any reactions that day. No reactions im pleased to say, my anxiety has been high for a few months, i tried cipramil before prozac. I also was told to use valium to calm my nerves, for a few weeks. I only use a quarter of either 2 mg, or a 5 mg which i just got prescribed recently as im concerned about getting hooked on benzos. Ive been taking valium since april last year. All this started after an operation, Drs have checked me lots of tests all they can find is hormonal, menopause.

im on my eigth week of prozac, havent felt too many side effects, im still waiting on improvement though. Everyone says flu is slow to work and patience is the key.

we all react differently to meds, the majority get good results, im sure you will be fine. Eat well, drink good filtered water, be kind to yourself as you adjust to new med. dont be afraid to ask for help during this process.

Good luck on your journey🌺

• Posted

Awe thank you so much sweet lady.

I really appreciate your advice.

Thank you,thank you,thank you.

Im so glad to hear a positive experience.

Thank you for responding promptly.

OK I will keep on track with my doctor and also be sure to come back on here for advice and support. Oh yeah, I always keep bottled water around and eat small meals.

Can you tell me if you found it best to take at night for bedtime or during the morning after breakfast?

• Posted

Hi,

i take it in the morning as i was told to, but a few take it at night. I have it then have breakfast. Some people say have brekky first, as nausea  can happen. I will say this i have had some days where i felt pretty awful, dealing with anxiety, but thats normal until the full level is reached. Some people get the benefits really fast but mostly its a slow working ad. So dont feel discouraged, you are unique and not everyone will get side effects.

there is a lovely lady katecogs who has really good advice, scroll through the flouxetine section. Lots of info snd support here!

take it easy, 

• Posted

If I take it at late night because in case of drowsiness, is a piece of toast,a fruit,and a vegetable enough to eat? Or Oatmeal and a piece of fruit? I drive my daughter to school in the morning and at night around 9:30 pm I pick up my other daughter from work. So I'm trying to take it after I pick up daughter from work. Doctor said I could take it morning or night. Just said if I get insomnia from it at night then take it in the morning and if I get too drowsy in morning just stick to taking it at night. Thanks for your support.

• Posted

Hi mrskaren,

try taking it an hour before bed , ive read that some people do. Maybe have a warm glass of milk and a biscuit. All you can do is experiment and see what works ok for you.

we all get different results. Im just hoping the meds work, its a waiting game!

best wishes, dont forget this forum is here if ever you need to talk!

🐞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.