A positive experience with Fluoxetine!

Posted , 16 users are following.

It is the nature of these forums that in many instances people only tend to post negative experiences rather than positive ones. Below is my experience of Fluoxetine (Prozac) which I hope will reassure and comfort those who are either worrying about taking, or who have just started taking Fluoxetine.

I am a 38-year-old male, living in London and freelancing in the film industry in a very high-pressure and extremely stressful job. Without boring everyone senseless with the whole story, back in February 2007, about six months after getting married, I was diagnosed with Dysthymia, a mild form of depression. I felt very dissatisfied with my life, I would quite often wake-up in the middle of the night feeling that I couldn’t go on and would sometimes have thoughts of suicide, and I had a terrible temper. To begin with the diagnosis was a relief but I think deep down I had trouble accepting that I had depression and I was totally against taking any form of anti-depressants. I started taking EPA (fish oil), which is supposed to help, and I saw a Psychologist once a week. However things didn’t get any better. As the feelings got worse my frustration increased and my temper also got worse. My Wife and I had terrible arguments and it didn’t help that at the same time we were in the middle of a very complicated house purchase, and subsequent lengthy renovation, and she also suffered a miscarriage as well. About a year ago I switched from seeing a Psychologist to a Psychotherapist in the hope that “talking” would somehow unlock whatever was wrong with me but despite having a two-hour session a week things didn’t improve. My Wife, who has some experience of depression herself couldn’t understand why I wouldn’t try anti-depressants but I was absolutely terrified of them. All the stories that I remembered from a couple of years ago about Seroxat didn’t help but it was really just the thought of putting a chemical into my brain that might change me forever and turn me into some-sort of catatonic, drugged up automaton that frightened me. Also, although I knew three people who had taken anti-depressants and all three of them had nothing but positive experiences, they were all women and a little bit of me thought that having depression and taking pills was not something that men did.

As the months went on things got worse and worse in my marriage. My refusal to take any sort of medication, together with my Wife’s understandable disappointment and resentment at the terrible start to our marriage meant that we argued almost incessantly. I would explode with rage at the slightest provocation, usually at my Wife, and I began to see her as the cause of all my woes and think that maybe if she had been a “better wife” then maybe things would have got better. It was her fault: she had “caused” my depression.

As this year wore on life just got worse. My wife and I almost couldn’t spend any time together without arguing and the arguments were sometimes really awful and a couple of times I felt very close to hitting her. After these rages and arguments would come an almost debilitating level of grief that would exhaust me.

Finally about two months ago I knew that I had to take the pills in order to save my marriage. All the experts said that I had to take them for myself, not just for my wife and my marriage, but I knew I had to make some sort of gesture to my wife or my marriage would have been over.

Under the care of a Psychiatrist I was prescribed 20mg of Fluoxetine. Just before I started to take them I made the very very big mistake of Googling Fluoxetine and found this site, and many others, full of details of the awful side effects that people had suffered. My already substantial fear increased massively and it was all I could do to take that first pill.

Now after two months of taking the medication I can report that it has already made a substantial difference to my life and I have had no real side effects. To begin with for the first three weeks or so I felt very slightly spaced-out but it was nothing that really affected me and it certainly didn’t have any detrimental effect on my day-to-day life. Maybe in the first week getting to sleep took a little bit longer but that was it. My appalling temper has all but disappeared and I find I can cope with things much better. My Wife and I haven’t had a terrible row for at least four weeks and that in-itself is cause for optimism. I suppose the only real side effects have been that my libido has declined and for a long time any form of alcohol was completely out of the question. Even one glass of wine, or bottle of beer, would wipe me out for the next couple of days. I basically stopped drinking for two months, which was probably a good thing on many levels! I also seem to have lost a bit of weight as well but whether that is due to the pills or the lack of alcohol is impossible to say but either way I'm not complaining!

The point of this lengthy posting is to say that whilst it is undeniable that many people have suffered really appalling side effects, there are many, like me, who haven’t. From being implacably opposed to the medication I am now a fervent advocate and think that the world would probably be a better place if the majority of the population took anti-depressants! This is not to say that the pills have completely solved all the issues in my life, and I continue to see the Psychotherapist every week, but they have made a big difference. I bitterly regret not taking the pills sooner and for having caused my Wife so much pain and anguish over the last eighteen months. It remains to be seen if the damage I have done to her and to our marriage is too great to repair but without the pills there would have been no hope at all.

I realise that I have been very lucky in suffering from a relatively mild form of the depression that has been alleviated quickly by medication that I responded well to without any side effects and it certainly not my intention to make light of the suffering of others. All I wanted to do was to recount a positive experience and hopefully provide some reassurance to others who find themselves in the same situation.

Finally, I don’t know if it makes a difference but I never take the pills on an empty stomach. I always make sure that I have a decent breakfast before taking them and that I take them with a couple of large glasses of juice.

:D

8 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you for your honest account , I'm dreading taking these for fear of side effects but feel much more positive now ! 😊

• Posted

Thank you for your post.  I, too, have had amazing success with Fluoxetine.  It was prescribed to help my occasional, but horrifying, panic attacks.  It not only fixed that, it fixed another problem; an obnoxious IBS.

The side effects of Prozac, for me, are the same as yours.  They are irritating but I can deal with them.

What I'd like to know the truth about is the long-term effects of this drug.  We all know it's playing with our brains but to what detriment? 

I am male, 60, and on Prozac for 2 1/2 years.

• Posted

I read a new research paper that said this drug actually builds new pathways in the brain....too bad I can't take it, because I could use more brain power! LOL! That's one big positive research result.

• Posted

Thank you for your comments , I like yourself always wonder what the long term affects of these drugs are but I've been on and off meds since I was 20 and now I'm 45 so I guess I've resigned myself to the fact I will always need them . The wayi look at it is there alot of people who take drugs for blood pressure, diabetes etc and they must also have side affects but they need they them to survive so we are the same .

It's very kind of you to share your experience on this as it really helps me especially as I'm starting Prozac tomoz and coming straight off 40mg citalopram .

Will let you know how I get on , take care and enjoy your Sunday.

Louise :-)

• Posted

Hi Cath , well that's fantastic news as with the rapid onset of menopause I'm now 45, I could always use some help in that department lol !

Sounds promising and with all these kind positive comments I'm actually looking forward to the benefits of Prozac and what it can offer and also hoping I can get well again .

Thank you Cath and so glad I've found this site.

Have a fab Sunday !

Louise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.