A possible cure for BV?

Posted , 26 users are following.

Okay, I'm very excited about this:

There's a new-ish product called Balance Activ which is available in the UK - I got mine from Boots this morning - it cost £9.99 for 7 applications - it's a vaginal gel clinically proven to treat BV.

When I first heard about it I just thought it was another dud product you'd have to order online from a dud company trying to make money from our misery.

But if you Google the name like I did - you'll get links to videos on youtube with Dr Chris Steele (from This Morning) endorsing it, as well as that lady doctor who does the 'Embarassing Illnesses' TV prog on Channel4.

It sounds very very promising. I'm starting the treatment tonight and will post on here in the next few days with an update.

If you do nothing else, check out those vids - just to hear someone respected talking openly about BV is heartening.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Has anyone tried Femmesil cream? I read some review online and it seems to help a lot of people with odor. I havent tried it yet myself but it will be the next thing I try.
  • Posted

I m newly diagnosed with BV and have one Balance Activ gel left to use out of the 7 tonight. I have to say it's been brilliant! 

I feel so much better down there. No dryness, no itching or burning already!

I even wanted intercourse yesterday when I've been avoiding it for months due to pain and we were able to have full intercourse for first time in ages. Huge improvements. 

Now I understand this BV may come back but I am blown away by how quickly I am returning to 'normal' after months - probably years if truthful - of discomfort and pain. 

• Posted

Hi all,

I suffered with bv for years every month, either before my period or after I would notice the smell. back and forth to doctors, walkin centres everything but after using the bv cream ordered from amazon and treated thrush with tablet at the same time (by mouth) as it was so bad and I was desperate iv never had either again since and that was about 2 years ago.

So I do think Thrush and bv go hand in hand and in my case treating them both together (I did take two thrush tablets over 2 days) worked a miracle for me.

I did have stinging in the vagina with the cream but my symptoms had gotten so bad and I was so sore anyway I would of tried anything.

Gemma x

• Posted

I had vaginitis for 4 months. The way that it was finally cured: I asked to be treated for mycoplasma genitalium. This bacteria causes a high pH and recurrent BV. And no one screens for it, and flagyl doesn't kill it. If you want to be tested: labcorp test 180089. Treatment is 5 day z-pack. Good luck!

• Posted

I am so going to mention this to my doctor.. I've taken Flagyl for years and nothing has changed.. its an ongoing everyday thing for me

• Posted

I am a bv sufferer and I always have a bad reaction to antibiotics so when I saw bv gel in my local tescos I leaped with joy! Only used one tube and already I'm noticing a big difference!

If this stuff carries on working it will be a huge blessing for me.

Hope it works just as good for everyone else!

• Posted

Let is know how it goes, I would like to give it a try!
  • Posted

Just wanted to say that Balance Activ hasn't worked for me...it helps but it comes back sad 
    • Posted

I also had the same experience Jennifer. It was something I had to use continuously and that was extremely inconvenient. Do you have any other ideas on how you are going to beat this?
    • Posted

Same! It worked really well at the start but just one day after I'd finished using them it came back! My doctor said it's made a difference but I'd have to constantly use it if I want the same results as antibiotics
  • Posted

I have only had bv once. I believe i got bv from using scented tampons and also douching (dont do either of these things they dont make a difference) To cure my bv i tried the oral anti biotic which didnt help or cure it at all. So i decided to try the "Balance active BV gel". I got mine from superdrug for about £8. Its a 7day course where you apply one pipette of gel inside the vagina per night. Using the gel after a bath or shower before bed worked best for me.

I have to say i noticed a difference from the very 1st night i used it. When i had bv i experienced itching and discharge which was foul smelling (not fishy but foul smelling). It left me very very self conscious and feeling dirty. The balance active bv gel was so easy to use and in my case worked from the first day i used it however i carried on using it for the 7days until the course was finished just to make sure. I didnt experience any stinging, soreness or anything unpleasant while using the gel. It worked really well for me. Only thing i would say is use a pad in your knickers because some of the gel will leak out through the night and its unpleasant having wet knickers, other then that i would recommend balance active bv gel as it worked well for me.

• Posted

Kaitlin, I live in the States, and suffered from BV.... Here's what I did after lots of research, sounds crazy but I'm over a year with no recurring symptoms. I made a douch of 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water, burned like crazy and I wondered how stupid I was. But I did this 3 days in row... Combined with a tampon soaked in coconut oil, turmeric spice, cinnamon spice, and garlic oil, also burned, every night 3 nights in a row. I added fermented foods, sour cream,yogurt,etc to my diet. No more BV. I did eventually wing myself off of sugar,but it was not something I considered,when I had the lapse in judgment and tried the hydrogen peroxide and the spices. I have always eaten healthy,because I love veggies,especially green leafy,and I've never been a bread or potato fan!!! So diet was not an issue. I was desperate, and after reading several post about HP and BV, I was willing to try anything. Hope this helps other, Ladies, because after all the money spent going back and forth to the gyno,and nothing working. It seemed almost magical to have the remedy in my cupboard. But I no longer have an BV Symptoms, so for less than 5 bucks... And some Biblical spices... I don't have to deal with what seemed like a curse from the devil, lol!!!

• Posted

Thanks for sharing. I will be giving this a try for sure.I was just recently diagnosed with BV for the first time and been dealing with it for about a month, my doctor put me on metrondizole the pill form and that did not help at all so she gave me the same thing but in the gel form you insert with a applicator and that still didn't work. I am so frustrated with this situation so I'm willing to try anything at this point.

• Posted

read my first post!!! its new fleurstat bv gel. Use the full 7 days,then do an extended treatment 2x a week I pick Monday and Thursday for example up to 6 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.