A possible kidney stone solution

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my first kidney stone at the age of 34,  1 cm stone that was surgically removed and stent put in for a week. For year she now I have taken magnesium citrate and no symptoms since (I am now 39). In December I had an ultrasound of my lower body for a ruptured ovarian cyst and low and behold they saw 4 stones in my left kidney and 1 in my right. I wanted to cry.

I did research online as I was preparing for how I would deal with multiple stones and found the first new thing that has been posted in the journal of urology in years as a possible way to treat kidney stones. Hydroxycitrate! They are testing this on rats and showing that they can actually help dissolve stones. I found it on amazon and started taking it Jan 2-Feb 28.in the meantime I visited my urologist and showed him what I was taking, he told me to keep taking it but most likely we would need to remove them somehow from my kidneys if they did not pass. I told him I would get rid of them. He ordered a CT scan with contrast for mid March.

the results of the scan showed signs of “no urinary calculi” with the radiologist noting in comparison to ultrasound of Dec/17 showing 4. The ultrasound said each stone was around 4mm.

This is what I did

drank much more water a day

took hydroxycitrate 500-750mg a day for 1.5 months

I am sharing this in hopes to help anyone dealing with kidney stones. I will now take a monthly maintenance dose of hydroxycitrate (4 days a month) to prevent regrowth of any stones.

Just google hydroxycitrate and you will find the new studies they are conducting on rats.

Hydroxycitrate is a byproduct of garcinia Cambodia (yes stuff dr oz was promoting years ago for weight loss). The only supplement I could find of just that was on amazon canada

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarah that's interesting information thank you as I am due for surgery to remove a large stone on 5th April I have been taking Chanca piedra drops but not sure if it's doing much . Will consider taking what you take as I don't want anymore stones 😔

• Posted

Hi Sarah. 

Does it matter what mineral your stones are primarily made of? What was the analysis on yours? I would assume this only works depending on what the stones consist of?

Thanks 

Angela 

• Posted

my first stone I had was a calcium oxalate so I assume my others were the same 

• Posted

Ah thank you. It does say in some articles online which I read after I asked you that it possibly works for calcium oxalate. 

Mine are calcium phosphate so I wonder if it would help or not?! 😬

• Posted

Hi Angela mine might be calcium phosphorus but not sure as one urologist said it was but I will not know till it's out with surgery 😔

• Posted

Ah mine are calcium phosphate. Good luck with your surgery. 

Angie. 🌸🌸🌼🌸🌸

• Posted

Absolutely! But I’m sure it will be fine xx I’ve got 7 stones left in both kidneys I’ve been told after two surgeries to relieve 2 lots of blocking ones. I’m considering the option of more surgery to try and get the other 14 out now. I don’t know what to do yet. I have an appointment coming up next month with a consultant to discuss options. 

Wish you good luck and a pain free future! 

Angie. 

• Posted

Angela 7 in each they small I can't believe how quick they can grow 😔hope you get sorted soon are you in the UK?

• Posted

Hi Lesley Ann, they are about 6mm and maybe a bit smaller. Yes I’m in UK xx 
  • Posted

Hi,

my stones were calcium oxalate stones

chancra piedra I have also taken in the past, but I had no confirmed stones at the time

• Posted

Hi Sarah

How much did you take each day of hydroxycitrate would like to give it a go

• Posted

Between 500-750 mg a day. So 2-3 capsules, I always made sure to have one right before bed so it could sit overnight.

• Posted

Thanks Sarah will get some do you eat a normal diet as in eat most foods ?
    • Posted

I avoided coffee, spinach, rhubarb, chocolate and other things with higher oxalate. I made sure to get my daily amount recommended for calcium from my diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.