41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Whilst I cand see that some people may benefit from statins and have no side effects there are those Who do!!!!!!. 

As usual statistics are being used for the wrong reason and always being used in a negative way.  If you invert the statistics it looks far better and no Doctor can say that you are in the real at risk area pnly that your coditions woudl indicate this.

As a patient who has been on statins my life style is far better now that I am off statins than it was when i was one them. I value quality of life rather than length of life. As you get older the risk of dementia is greater and then dying from Dementia is worse than  a heart attack at least one is quick the other is a long slow painful death and a morning period for the loved ones in life. I have experience this and its not nice for the person with dementia or the loved ones.

• Posted

My mother died at 92 having had dementia for ten years OR did she? She was the only person in her care home not on any medication.

She had been in good health and of good mind at 82 when she delayed an operation to remove a kidney due to a tumor as she was travelling to and around Canada on her own for a month. After the operation she could not remember much about her trip or look after herself.

In her case it was the anesthetic  not pills that caused her problem.

• Posted

A friend in America was put on six different statins at the same time for his very high readings taking them at different times of day. After a while he started on the joint pains and muscle weakness. By then his doctor had retired and he went to see the new one. In his next E-Mail he said 'I like my new Doctor I told him that I like my meat and potatoes chips but I don’t like the statin side effects'

The doctor said, your 82 and should be allowed to eat what you want and not bother with statins. That was about two years ago but sadly his muscles and joints are getting progressively worse.

• Posted

I have never heard of multiple statins used at the same time. Sadly alot of elderly patients dont know how to advocate for themselves or have relatives that will for them.
    • Posted

Who knows what is the norm in America? He was a very smart fellow but trusted his doctor until too late.

It's a wonder I still have any doctors as i queery every thing. Some new consultants ask if I have a medical background as I give them my symptoms so well. 

• Posted

Im in the U.S. ive heard of few used together. Never six. Oh im the same way. I read up on so many things,i sit there with my list of questions though i rarely get a chance to ask them. I think alot of doctors dont like the internet, gives the patient too much knowledge.
    • Posted

The same applies to health sections in newspapers. The nurse at the (UK) practice I go to has to buy the Daily Mail on Tuesdays as it has pages of health articles and she gets an influx of patients all asking about what they have read.
  • Posted

My mom was on statins from the time they first came out til her death at the age of 87. She lived a long life but..she suffered from back pain and the last 7 years alzheimers which was listed as the caus of her death. Statin related?Who knows. Latter years quality of life. No
  • Posted

hello...sorry you all going through - a friend of my mine in his mid forties has been taking atoravastatin 20 mg for 8 years...he is not feeling any muscle pain, depression or any such side effects and feels just fine..I particularly asked him.

I have been taking myself 10 mg. of atoravastatin for the past 3 years and then stopped for 3 months to see if the aches and pains are related but there were there and its the cause of age and menopause...but I am not having any debilitating pain. just normal aches but I still do yoga and zumba smile ....

• Posted

I used to take simvastatin for about 8 years and thought that I was ok. Then my GP prescibed atorvastatin 40mg - because apparently my totl cholesterol at 4.4 was still too high.

The side effects were devastating, but, I did not associate them to the use of statins until the 'statins controversy was highlighted in the social media.

And, I think, this is the underlying danger of the use of statins. Initially, side effects are mild and people contribute them to getting older without asking any further questions. But, the negative effect of statins use is building up.

I think the prescription of them as a preventative medicine is highly irresponsible.

• Posted

oh sorry, maybe you should reduce the dose - theres someone above who was told her levels lf 4.4 is still high...thats nonsense...4 is perfectly normal.
    • Posted

I now know that it is nonsense, but, for some reason GP's are instructed to get people they consider in the 'high risk group' to lower their total cholesterol to 4, which is nonsense in itself because it ignores the LDL:HDL ratio. My HDL has always been on the high side - around 2 - which pushed my total cholesterol up. I have done a lot of research since the side effects became very apparent. I think I am better informed than most GP's.

My recent check was:- total 5.8, LDL 3, HDL 2.3,tric .5

This is without any statins.

GP's are instructed to offer statins to anybody with a total reading above 4.  I have now refused them, and will refuse them forever.

• Posted

My readings are just a fraction lower than yours and the nurse says that the doctor knows how you feel about statins and he does not think it is all that high.

I say the same about my 7.4 blood glucose figure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.