A question about Lichen Sclerosis

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone, Lichen Sclerosis is an external skin condition as I have been informed, however, I was wondering does anyone else have any internal symptoms. The opening of my vagina and inside is red raw and swollen, is this part of the Lichen? The nurse thought I had thrush before being diagnosed with LS and ruled thrush out.. TIA sad

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would start taking borax baths yes it in the inside as well if I were you I would start taking a diet switch I would not eat sugar gluten or milk dairy cheese this will take your swelling away and the borax bath will do it as well
    • Posted

Thanks Cheryl133619 I am taking Borax baths, not sure if you are aware of this but there is also a Borax homeopathy remedy which I took for a couple of weeks (maybe need to take again). I also have 2 other auto-immune conditions and am looking to try and make the AIP diet work for me (as I am a vegetarian but considering consuming a little animal protein via bone broth or fish for a couple of months if it helps heal my gut). I am going to make up a Borax solution in a spray bottle today for cleaning after toileting. Thank you for your feedback it really helps!
  • Posted

Have they checked out for other types of infections? Yeast, or lichen plains? Do you have a specialty gynecologist treating you?
    • Posted

Hi WIparadise, hey yes, I have battled candida over load for years. Actually went on a candida diet for four months to get rid of it. I have seen no-one in over a year, so asked a nurse recently to refer me to a gynecologist which she did, so just waiting now. Thanks for your feedback smile

• Posted

yes I have the same problem, around opening and inside is all red and inflamed. At times I get it to subside some but that is my worst symptom and never have had much if any white plaques like I read about.
    • Posted

Hey Charlotte9559 it is so sore, isn't it? I have now got skin fusing going on which is worrying. I think diet may be the key here so will keep you all informed once I begin the AIP diet. Deffo find Borax helps too.

• Posted

Hello pollygale, like others I also have had the internal redness, swelling and soreness. Not sure of your age but sometimes menopause contributes to this so just be aware. The contrast of the white areas on the labia also make the internal bits look a bit worse. As another lady has mentioned Lichen Planus can also increase soreness and I have both conditions, the treatment is the same so don't worry if this is confirmed. Once my treatment was underway the whole thing settled. I use the steroid ointment right up to the vaginal entrance but found the most improvements came when I started using pareben free shower and wash creams, stopped wearing tight or restrictive clothing. (Camando at every opportunity) and a daily moisturiser. I find coconut oil the most soothing. I also take lavender or Bicarbonate of soda baths twice weekly. These are just suggestions but you need to find what works for you. Take care.

• Posted

Thank you for feedback Wero. I am going to try making a solution of Borax and bicarb and spray on regular and see how that helps. Hopefully, when I see the gynecologist they will check for other infections, or problems. Funny you should mention menopause because I have constant breast tenderness at the moment and at 48 it could well be? I also make my own creams with almond oil, shea butter, coconut oil and essential oils, but maybe just plain coconut may be better. Lavender is a blessing! Thanks again. 
  • Posted

I am post-menopause and yes I too have problems with being sore on the inside. Between the LS and vj atrophy my dear hubby and I have not been able to have intercourse in about 2 years now. Very sad for both of us...  Most women use clobetasol however so far I have chose not to for a couple reasons.

1) I live in the US... I don't have insurance and the cost was well over $200.00. 

2) I prefer to try and deal with it in the most natural possible

Right now I am doing the borax bath soak for 20 minutes at least twice a week. I also do either the borax or baking soda spritz after going to the potty.  I have started adding about 3 drops of lavender oil to my spritz bottles. I like to alternate between borax and baking soda. I have found this to really be helpful. If you live in the US you may want to look for MATY'S all natural petroleum free baby ointment and give it a try for moisturizing. It is a combination of jojoba oil, coconut oil and olive oil. It isn't to expensive and it works great for me. 

This has been such an exasperating journey for me. Trial and error, finding things that work and eliminating things that don't. I think it is a very personal and individual deal for all of us. Seems we all have underlying and contributing issues in which we all have to sort out. I try to avoid stress as much as possible however that is extremely difficult! I also have IBS so a daily dietary fiber supplement is a must.  God bless you and I wish you all the best.

Praying for a cure!!! 

• Posted

I take a borax bath everyday for 20 minutes I have no symptoms of LS
    • Posted

Hi Jen, have you thought about doing the sitz baths daily? In 8 days I've gone almost symptom free soaking and washing with cerve at bath time. I wasn't able to have sex or be comfortable but now, in just 8 days for a change im great! I hope your doing much better.

• Posted

Hello

I have the same problem and it's painful. Until recently I was free of the redness and soreness inside but I had a spicy ready meal as I was in a hurry and the pain and redness flared

up badly. Just about got this under control using borax on cotton buds as described in an experiment with borax. Borax also helping with the appearance of my clit and I think reducing the fusing.

I have long term candidiasis causing chronic fatigue which I manage through diet. No sugar, no gluten, no alcohol etc. Does anyone else experience sweats at night. Like a fever but just on my brow and face not my whole body though it feels quite draining?

• Posted

Yes I do, I thought it must be hormonal but I have been off  estrogen meds for few years and had total hysterectomy years ago so I didnt think I could still get menopause symptoms, but not sure?
  • Posted

Borax soaks! Trust me when I say it works. I was red and inflamed, itching some. I couldn't have intercourse, hurt to touch but about 8 days ago I started doing a borax sitz bath for 20 mins a day and washing with cerve at bath time. My Dr also recommended I use the cerve lotion there as well for a moisturizer. Last night I was afraid to try and have sex but I did. NO PAIN! I was able to enjoy it. It was so wonderful. I will never use clobetasol again now that I know how well the borax helps. I'm fixing to start the borax cleanse this week. Good luck, I pray it works for you as well as it did me.

• Posted

Hi, I've been doing the borax soaking and it's greatly reduced my symptoms, however I think I'm still too sore for sex yet - but nervous to find out! What's the borax cleanse?

• Posted

Hi Mary, I was scared to death to try to have sex. I was still burning on the outside so I thought the inside was still the same but it wasn't. I dont know how inflamed you are or have been. I guess it all depends on the degree of that as to when sex can happen. Just keep up the soaks. I use 1 teaspoon in my sitz baths. Not sure how much your using. As for the borax cleanse its taking 1/4 teaspoon of borax and adding it to 1 liter of boiled water and mixing it til diluted. Set aside and let the water cool. You want to boil the water to get rid of impurities, but let that cool and sip on that water throughout the day. Some ad pink Himalayan salt but I just do quick swigs. This cleanse is suppose to help us rid toxins from our bodies that effect the LS. I just started mine so we will see how it goes. Best of luck with the soaks. I've been dealing with thus for over 10 yrs, went into remission for awhile then broke out in the last few months from stress. I hope I don't jinx myself but I'm just happy to be having sex again without pain all in thanks to this forum and borax.

• Posted

I meant Narya I hate auto correct! Sorry about that!!
    • Posted

Wow Shelia now this is the kind of reports I "LOVE" to read... What a nice ray of sunshine! Sex, Sex, Sex!!! What is that? Been way too long for me and my hubby. I just ordered an extremely nice sitz bath from amazon, only got to use it a couple times so far but I already love it. Been under loads of stress lately but I am definitely gonna try to make it a point to do a daily borax soak. I've never used the Cerave soap or lotion but by golly I gonna order some and give it a try too. Pleeze keep us posted on how the borax cleanse goes! I have considered trying it as I have read where it has helped with other issues however nothing specfic to LS. Super-duper interested to hear what you have to report on the outcome! So happy you seem to have found a great solution for your symptoms and can enjoy intimacy with your partner again. YAY!!! 

Best Wishes And Thanks So Much For Sharing Your Encouraging Story!!! 

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

• Posted

Hi Sheila. I just read your post on the Borax as I have read many posts on this. Yours convinced me to try it. What is the ratio of Borax to about 5 inches of water in a tub????? Or are you used a small plastic tub/container with what ratio?

Am also using the Clob ointment for 3 weeks and no relief. Much burning when I pee. Thank you for your help.

• Posted

Hi Jean, I'm happy to hear your going to try the borax and see if it helps. I am so amazed at how much it has helped me. I would suggest a 1/4 cup of borax diluted in hot water in the tub so it all dissolves then add cold water to then temper your water in the tub. Soak for at least 20 to 30 minutes. Sometimes I use a 2 cup plastic measuring cup and add small amounts of the borax to it until it doesn't dissolve anymore then keep doing that til the 1/4 cup is all dissolved and poured into the water. You can always add a little more borax to your water but ive found a 1/4 cup works great for me. In my sitz bath I use 1 teaspoon. I do more of those than the tub but I still do the tub twice a week. Its a work in progress but so worth the outcome. So just put some music on and relax. Being stress free or as stress free as you can be is very important with LS. Keep me posted on your progress and you take care. Good luck!

(Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Had 3 Dr appts this week. MRI and seen ortho, I broke a bone in my knee trying not to fall on my grand daughter)

• Posted

Forgot something.. I just seen a urologist for the same problem. The burning when I pee. I had a bacterial infection in my ureatha. Took antibiotic for 5 days and I'm so much better but LS is known for the burning too. Ive even had my ureatha stretched 3 times because if it closing up. My new Dr said I shouldnt need that procedure anymore thank goodness. Its an outpatient procedure. You have to be put under for it. Good luck Jean. Please keep me posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.