A question for people using alcohol rehab centres/charities

Posted , 8 users are following.

If you are receiving a medication, nalmefene/naltrexone/Campral etc.

How long are you usually given a prescription for, i.e. what length of time does it last.

I'm getting a bit pee'd off with mine, as they keep giving me two weeks worth of Campral or one prescription spilt into two, with the second one dated. It means two journeys. It means paying for two prescriptions for the month, instead of one. The upside of it is, it costs me over £30 just for a prescription (month) and half a day at a time to do it.

I thought I was getting somewhere when I picked up what I thought was a full box last time, before that, I was always given a generic small white box, but this time it was the proper branded box. Upon opening it today, I find that the strips have been cut in half and again it is only two weeks - don't get me wrong, it isn't like I see a case worker or doctor evey two weeks, this works out at a trip to the centre, to go to the pharmacy and for no other reason - and no it is not a generic pharmacy prescription, it has to be this pharmacy.

I have an appointment this week to see the case worker and pick up a prescription. I am (politely) going to demand a full month. I can see me thanking them for their help but declining to attend anymore. I don't take it well, being treated as a child. It's not as if it is a controlled medication like diazepam, or something that would give you a kick like methadone, the feeling of taking it, is like taking a vitamin C tablet - there is no want to consume extra. If anything, I have a problem remembering to take three doses a day and often just taking two.

So, back to the original question. How long does other people's prescription last?

Secondly, because I do not intend to stop taking Campral, just using a different route. Who has used something like pharmacy2u and their online prescription service and what was your experience of it, success rate, ease of use etc. My alternative is to import it, as I know where to purchase the exact same Merck Serono tablets that the centre/pharmacy uses. But the latter comes with a cost, but at the advantage that no one tells me when and where I'm allowed to get the medication.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm getting my first prescription if Nalmefene on Tuesday and I was told it would be a 2 week script then it would be handed over to my doctor so I presume (and hope) that it will then be monthly.

I've used online for meds before,Goldpharma,river pharmacy and a couple of others I can't remember the name of but all have been fine

• Posted

I've used both of those before, absolutely fine. However, I was looking at UK online pharmacies where you can get an online prescription for non controlled medications. So, the like of the medications you and I are using, are prescription, but not controlled like diazepam which is a class C drug.
    • Posted

I don't know if any but would be interested as well
  • Posted

I am at day 54 on Nalmafene. I initially got 2 weeks at a time, but now i get 4 weeks at a time. The counselling with my current charity is limited to c. 12 weeks, bu i hoped to get referred to another charity by my GP.
    • Posted

Thanks for that.

Does that mean that basically you charity turfs you out after three months? What are you meant to do if the cure takes longer?

• Posted

The cure will take longer for me. As as part of the condition for continuing to receive Nalmafene, is continuong counselling, i have to find an alternative, but this is part of the NICE guideleine so i will just ask my GP for a referral.
    • Posted

If your GP struggles to get you referred for counselling, Pete, remember that C3 Europe offers the required counselling for free using Skype.  It is in accordance with the guidelines set out by manufacturers, Lundbeck.

Should you need it, you can google C Three Europe Free Alcohol Counselling and it will be the first or second entry.  On that page, there is an information pack that you can print or email to your GP that confirms qualifiations etc.

• Posted

I was offered counselling through inclusion but I have heard nothing since. They were supposed to assign me a keyworker but despite several calls and emails I've been left to my own devices. Plus the counselling services I was already using now say they can't support me further as I have the new support? ?? What more can I do to help myself?
    • Posted

Inclusion is one of the local teams of services that work on behalf of your local area's Drug and Alcohol Action Team (DAAT).

Since you have tried to make contact with them several times, I would suggest that you look up your area's DAAT website and contacting them.  Advise them that Inclusion have not placed you with a keyworker yet, despite numerous attempts on your part.

In turn, the DAAT are commisioned to ensure the implementation of the government National Drug Strategy, and over overseen by your local council.  If the DAAT do not help you to resolve the issue with Inclusion, then your next port of call would be an email to your local MP who looks after this part of your council (a quick search of your local council's website would tell you this, or you could ring your council and ask) - advise that BOTH Inclusion and the DAAT are failing to meet their own standards by not supplying you with a keyworker.

• Posted

When i first heard that i would not receive suuport from my current counselling organisation beyond 12 weeks, yours was the first alternative i thought of, many thanks again for the reminder.
    • Posted

A useful site but I forgot the no links rule.

Google 'who is my mp' take the first reply that isn't an AD and just put your postcode in the box, and name, website, email, constituency office address, twitter account, phone number, it's all there.

• Posted

May i also suggest contacting your local authority and asking "What resources are available for controlling drinking" This proved helpful in my case.
    • Posted

By that, you mean the local district council? Did you call them or email them. And what was their response to "What resources are available for controlling drinking".

I'd be interested to hear, I imagine my council would say go to NHS Choices, which lists the same alcohol charity that I'm with. The first branch I went to was awful, and I only attended two meetings before I realised that it *might* be some day in the future when they *might* decide to offer me a detox. I'm at another branch now, which isn't too bad, it's just this nanny thing of trusting me with only two weeks supply.

I've been going there over two months, always turn up on time for all appointments, and as I'm abstinent, I am always sober.

• Posted

I've got a two week prescription, they've advised me that if I keep attending they will eventually give me a months prescription.

I know, paying for two prescriptions is a nightmare, when you know it could be consolidated into one sad

• Posted

Well, I've had three two week prescriptions and I bet the one this week, will be a four week split into two weeks.

The other things is, I take the medication daily, not just if I was drinking, so I know exactly which day I will run out of tablets. I always run out Wednesday night, but can't get the prescription until the Thursday. I say to them, what happens on Thursday, when I go to work and can't go to the chemist, what do I do for tablets, why don't you allow a week's crossover so that I always have a safety overlap.

Common sense, they don't hand it out any more.

• Posted

I'm the exact same, I run out on the 29th March and get my prescription on the 30th... No time to then go the chemist - even if I did they always have to order it in. Beggar's belief to be honest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.