A question for people using alcohol rehab centres/charities

Posted , 8 users are following.

If you are receiving a medication, nalmefene/naltrexone/Campral etc.

How long are you usually given a prescription for, i.e. what length of time does it last.

I'm getting a bit pee'd off with mine, as they keep giving me two weeks worth of Campral or one prescription spilt into two, with the second one dated. It means two journeys. It means paying for two prescriptions for the month, instead of one. The upside of it is, it costs me over £30 just for a prescription (month) and half a day at a time to do it.

I thought I was getting somewhere when I picked up what I thought was a full box last time, before that, I was always given a generic small white box, but this time it was the proper branded box. Upon opening it today, I find that the strips have been cut in half and again it is only two weeks - don't get me wrong, it isn't like I see a case worker or doctor evey two weeks, this works out at a trip to the centre, to go to the pharmacy and for no other reason - and no it is not a generic pharmacy prescription, it has to be this pharmacy.

I have an appointment this week to see the case worker and pick up a prescription. I am (politely) going to demand a full month. I can see me thanking them for their help but declining to attend anymore. I don't take it well, being treated as a child. It's not as if it is a controlled medication like diazepam, or something that would give you a kick like methadone, the feeling of taking it, is like taking a vitamin C tablet - there is no want to consume extra. If anything, I have a problem remembering to take three doses a day and often just taking two.

So, back to the original question. How long does other people's prescription last?

Secondly, because I do not intend to stop taking Campral, just using a different route. Who has used something like pharmacy2u and their online prescription service and what was your experience of it, success rate, ease of use etc. My alternative is to import it, as I know where to purchase the exact same Merck Serono tablets that the centre/pharmacy uses. But the latter comes with a cost, but at the advantage that no one tells me when and where I'm allowed to get the medication.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I completely understand your frustration. .I've basically been given medication and politely told to p*ss off for 3 months. Nice. If you were being given meds for hayfever or something you wouldn't get this reaction. It comes down to the view that we're responsible for our condition (although you could say the same about a jogger that has knee trouble to be fair ). My last alcohol nurse told me alcohol wouldn't be legal if it was discovered today...very helpful. We are not children or bad people. Just unfashionable lol x
  • Posted

I did type a long reply but it's being moderated. Who would be interested if I started a closed fb group or similar?
  • Posted

My GP used to prescribe campral on a two month prescription. I also get 56 NITRAZAPAM tablets every two months.

i also have inhalers, OMEPRAZOLE and on fourth lot of antibiotics this year alone. At £8.30 per item, just getting two weeks supply, makes it very expensive. Also have creams and loads of stuff for psoriasis 

ive just got a yearly prepayment certificate £103 which saves me a small fortune.

i too, found I sometimes forgot to take 6 campral tablets daily. It was the lunch time ones I would forget.

Used to be able to get some medications over the counter in Spain for a fraction of the £8.30, but they've got wise to Brits bulk buying!!

Ive got my repeat prescription forms and will see if I can get diazapam next week in Spain 

• Posted

Omeprazole, now that's a name I recognise, you too have had endoscopy then. Yes, a two month prescription makes sense because they is no temptation to take too many, the problem is remembering to all three doses.
  • Posted

I can only set up a group if I have at least one person to add to it initially. .If there are any takers then pm me and I'll add you to my fb
  • Posted

You have been pretty open with your Drs...so why not tell them what you have told us?  That you don't want to pay for TWO prescriptions in a month! 

​And ask about what the normal treatment plan is for Campral....ask is it 6 months a year?  And can we work it out so I don't have to PAY so much?  Tell them the frustration...tell them about your other appointments and how (in a calm way)...taking the time to secure your medication is causing you alot of stress!

As far as getting the medication on line...I don't think this is legal or good practice because you don't know what you are really getting.  They could be marked to be the same exact thing...but that does not mean they are the same exact thing.

• Posted

I am going to have the conversation this Thursday. I though it had been sorted out when I got a full size box last time, only to find it was only a half measure inside.

It is legal to order medication online. Campral is not a controlled drug, so it is legal for me to buy it and to be in posession of it if not prescribed by a doctor. Diazepam is a controlled drug, that is illegal to import and illegal to be in posession of it if it hasn't been prescribed to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.