A Strange question...perhaps?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, I hope that you are all recovering well?

Do any ladies out there who have had hysterectomy ops think  that their immune system has been compromised in any way since? It may just be coincidence but before my hysterectomy I was relatively healthy (apart from the obvious symptoms that lead to my op) I hadn't had a cold for about 15 years (I kid you not) I had a very bad cold 4 months ago, I had had only one bout of cystitis when I was in my 30's (I'm 63), since the op I have now had 3 bouts in as many months and am now just getting over a bad bout of tonsilitis, something else I hadn't had for years and years, is it connected to the hysterectomy or is it just coincidence? I'd love to know what you think.

Thanks

Phoebe xx

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Phoebe,

I think that if you had a total hysterectomy that your immune system can certainly be compromised!  For one thing, surgery is a major stressor on your body, and since your immune system is in your gut, it's probably suffered an imbalance, i.e., where is all the estrogen I used to have?

I would suggest that you increase your intake of B vitamins and iron, just a bit.  

Let me know how you're doing! xxx

• Posted

Hi again Lynda,

I hadn't thought about the oestrogen side of things, I'm vegetarian

So possibly lacking in something, as I am a very finicky eater so will

Top up the B's and iron.

Thanks

Phoebe xx

• Posted

Hi phoebe

I had total vaginal hysterectomy and a pelvic floor repair on 24 June (still got my ovaries) and since then I've had about 5 water infections. I have one currently that's been ongoing for over 3 weeks so yes I think it messes with your immune system I've just been put on antibiotics for another month I hope you're soon feeling better

Louise x

• Posted

It seems to mess with many aspects of our bodies' functions and more so when the ovaries are removed or fail from loss of blood flow and feedback with the uterus. The bladder and bowel issues are caused, at least in part, by their displacement. My bladder was "cranky" for quite some time and bowel issues never did resolve.

I hope your body is able to compensate sooner than later!

• Posted

Hi Phoebe,

I would have to agree with you. I had TAH feb this year. After surgery, my immune system is quite weak. From feb till now, I had 3 rounds of sore throat, flu, cough vs before surgery of hardly had any in a year. Get infected from others who suffer flu easily as well. The flu and cough will last longer too for about 2 to 3 weeks. The whole body get tire easily, suffer sleepless night or still feel tired when waking up in the morning..... and other sickness .....

• Posted

Thank you all for reassuring me that it's not just me but in the same breath I am sorry that you are also suffering, it's so annoying as I did so incredibly well immediately after surgery, I didn't bleed much (spotting only for a couple of days) I had absolutely no pain at all, I was lucky that way, my GP when I asked her said that the cystitis was nothing to do with the hysterectomy but talking to others on here I have to beg to differ with her, it has been suggested in the past on this site that some should start a blog of some kind to discuss all the different aspects of having a hysterectomy, the after effects etc, I wouldn't know where to start but perhaps one day some one will take up the challenge. biggrin

Thanks again

Phoebe xxx

• Posted

Hi Phoebe, glad you are recovering well - I am too (5 months post op). I was advised by my GP to take vitamin B (complex) so basically a multi Vit B. I also suffer with an auto immune arthritis - so definitely needed a boost. Been on them for a month now and have noticed an uptake in energy! I am really struggling to lose weight - have put on 7ib since the op (go to Slimming World). Best of luck xx
    • Posted

Hi Elaine, thanks I will definitely get some B complex, I feel so frustrated by it all now, you would think that at almost 2years post op that I would be OK now but I have a feeling that it may be an ongoing thing for a while.

I have also been struggling to lose weight mad...........biggrin oh well at least the sun is out. xx

• Posted

Hi Phoebe,

Talking about weight lost, do try cut off processed food, oily food from your diet. Understand that you are vegetarian and so I guess no problem of you consuming more vege and fruits in your diet. I manage to lost about 8kg from Nov last year by cutting off the above things. Exercise till I soaking wet is my next target. Going back to yoga classes next month.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I don't tend to eat processed food, I am a great believer in cooking from scratch, I enjoy cooking.....trouble is I enjoy eating too much lol! well done on your weight loss though.

• Posted

I lost about 10 kilos late late year by getting rid of the extra's just little things, thought I was eating resonably healthy, but a biscuit for morning tea, and maybe late at night with cup of tea, it all addded up to calorie intake, instead dietitian suggested 20 grapes a day. No soft drinks, no fruit juices, she told us it was scary how much concentrated sugar was in juices. Skinny milk, Eggs OK, lots of greens & red vegetables, no potatoes, discovered I loved vegetable omelets or fritatas, can now eat them for breakfast lunch and dinner, just a spray of rice oil in bottom of pan, great for colesterol as well.

• Posted

Hi, not strange, I had my op 10years ago since developed lichen sclerosis and lichen planus believed auto-immune skin condition. Diabetes auto-immune, arthritis auto-immune, angina which is linked to diabetes. Fed up. Trying to get healthy I ended up with plantar fasciitis in my feet which led to a discovery of serious foot deformities. Spent past few years in and out of hospital having ops putting feet right. Now recovering from hopefully last open but it will be 18months they say before I am likely to be recovered. So yes I think this is all linked to my hysterectomy which I think messed with my immune system.
    • Posted

Goodness Chrisy, you really have been through it haven't you? I have had plantar fasciitis so know what that pain is like, I could barely walk for 18 months or more.

I am definitely not the person I was before the hysterectomy, I sailed through the op and immediately afterwards but now 2 years on and really feeling generally yucky, trying to eat healthy and doing as much as I can exercise wise but by the end of the day I am beat.

Thanks for letting me know it's not just me, I do hope you will soon be feeling much better.

Phoebe x

• Posted

I have heard that plantar fascitis is thought to be connected to auto-immune conditions. I'm hoping once my feet are a bit more healed I can start exercising lose weight easier and hopefully improve my diabetes even reverse it. Maybe have improved control over angina and my skin condition.

I just wanted to say look lichen sclerosis up, a lot of people on this site suffer it after hysterectomy and go undiagnosed for years. Don't freak out though it was just a heads up.

• Posted

Hi, Phoebe,

I am wondering if you have considered yoga?  I am about two months post surgery, now on an estrogen blocker, and I'm considering yoga.  My husband has done it for a long time.

I've read that, among other things, yoga quiets the mind and strengthens the body, including the bones, without most of the wear and tear that working out brings.  

Just wondering if you've thought of it! xx

• Posted

Hi Chrisy and all,

Since we were on the same chapter of pain and screlosis, do anyone experience the same bone anotomy changes as per this statement I read from Internet

"Evidence of my spine compressing started 12 to 18 months post-op. A crease started forming about two inches above my navel. It gradually lengthened over the next 6 months to a year until it became visible all across my midsection. I’ve always been thin (underweight) with flat, toned abs and prominent hip bones. And contrary to what most women experience after hysterectomy, I lost weight. As my spine compressed, my flat abs became “fat” and flabby. My hip bones became less prominent in the front (as my belly pooched out) and more prominent in the back since my rib cage had fallen onto my hip bones. And I now have intermittent back, hip, and rib cage pain as well as tingling in feet. My sacrum / tailbone has also looked bruised since not long after my hysterectomy."

Any comments much appreciated 💚

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

I have been doing yoga for past few years and practicing it now too. It does help relieve your lower back pain a bit but be careful of certain pose as you do not want to end up with organ prolapse.

• Posted

Hi, Sue!  

Thanks for the info!  I also have some information for you.  There's a book by Dr. John Lee about menopause.  In it, he indicates that progesterone cream can assist with calcium assimilation.  He did a very small study, and I think most GYNs doubt its efficacy. But since progesterone is given to women who have endometrial cancer, I think it may be safe. You could try it!  

I am also experiencing some back problems.  I'm trying to find progesterone cream that's not formulated with any plant estrogens.  I'm now on an estrogen blocking medication.

Also, there is one pose (not yoga) that can really help strengthen you all over. It's called the "plank."  

Hope this helps! 

• Posted

Thanks Lynda. I am looking for books I could purchase and read. Could you share the book title from Dr John? I yet to suffer menopause symptoms as I retained my ovaries though it is a risk as cancer survivor.

Yeah plank pose is good to ease back pain but not during early recovery period. Another pose I could recommend is "upper dock" and my favorite "cat pose" that never fail eases lower back pain.

• Posted

Hi Lynda, yes I have thought about yoga but that's as far as it has ever gone but I may give it a go, my eldest son does it regularly so will pick his brains about it and maybe get a beginners DVD, I've also researched tai-chi, will definitely try to turn over a new leaf.

• Posted

Thanks, Sue!  It's what your doctor may not tell you about menopause!

I'll look for upper dock, as for cat pose, that's a good one, too! smile

• Posted

Yea, well, I need to get my rear end in gear, and do it.  My doctor said on 8/31 that I should give it 3 more weeks "before resuming normal activities."  It's just about that long.

Unfortunately, I think about things too often, then get my water bottle, take up a book, read, and think about it some more!  Please let me know if you find a DVD you like! smile

• Posted

Yes I never to get my rear end in gear as well and it's a large rear end lol!

I want to lose about 7 kgs by January when I have to see my consultant agai, I just can't get motivated.

• Posted

I have had terrible back ache for years now. You have given me food for thought
    • Posted

Hi, Phoebe,

What worked for me was I got myself a fitbit, avoided high fructose corn syrup, minimized my sugar intake, and ate lots of lowfat stuff.  Watch out for high fructose corn syrup, it's in everything! I also took choline & inositol, which helped my fatty liver clean itself out.  Tried to stick to 5,000 steps a day.

I lost 35 pounds last year.  Then, I got diagnosed with cancer in July.  I've kept it off; but my muscle mass is wasting away--that's why I need to get going...good luck!    

• Posted

It's my tummy muscles I'm really having problems with, they are completely useless since the hysterectomy, I have not been what you would call super fit for years but never as bad as I am at the moment. 🙅

• Posted

I can relate! But my ab muscles are actually really strong. But I have that hysterectomy big belly with all the flab! And it's not extra weight because I'm underweight!

• Posted

I've never been superfit, either, unless I look at my childhood, where I was a real tom boy until my first period, ugh!  Then, for a memorable 2 years I worked out with a personal trainer.  I would say at age 55. I was so proud of myself, but she left the business, and I went back to oreos and coke in front of the TV.  smile

• Posted

Hi Phoebe,

Try chinese qi-qong as recommended by a chinese oncologist.

I am on altenative medicine now precribed by chinese oncologist. He used to remind me to do more exercise as he said "... exercise is the remedy of all... will erase all your back and body pains and reducing risks of cancer recurrence..". To learn and practice qi qong, we need full concentration on breathing and using lots of inner strength or energy. Qi qong is quite famous in Asia and mostly practised by the elderly citizen in Asia. I has yet to find a good tutor as most of qi qong sessions is during weekdays morning while I busy rushing to work :-( 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.