AA

Posted , 6 users are following.

ive been on Alendronic acid for a few months and have  been getting sick a few hours after taking it. How common is this? Will it affect the efficacy ?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ann, It sounds to me as though you're not taking this medication properly. It is vital that you take it exactly as it's described in the leaflet. I use a med. called Actonel which has identical precautions. I pour out a large glass of water (half pint), then sit up really straight, toss the pill into the back of the throat, large gulp of water and swallow. Then, still sitting (or standing) really straight, I gulp down the rest of the water. Then for an hour I absolutely don't bend forward - even slightly. Then I have my breakfast, or coffee . . . 

I found that doing some floor exericses even a couple of HOURS later caused a severe reaction of feeling sick and nauseaus, so I stopped that until much later in the day.

I think you should talk to your doctor about getting sick after taking your pill. My guess is that it may cause the med to be less effctive -  though most of it should have been absorbed by then.

If you HAVE been taking it exactly as advised, then discuss this with your doctor -  he may suggest something else for you. . . . 

If you check the leaflet that comes with your med you will see a list of common side-effects and nausea, feeling sick, stomach cramps and discomfort, etc. are mentioned as common side-effects. Vomiting isn't mentioned but I certainly did! 

Don't panic. Talk to your GP.

Good luck,  J

• Posted

I do follow I structures. I don't leave it an hour though as the pamphlet only says at least 30 mins - so that's about all I leave.

• Posted

Hello Ann,

​I took AA exactly as I was told to observing all the rules. 8 months in I had to stop taking it because it caused unacceptable Gastro-intenstinal problems, stomach cramps, nausea, severe pain, and diarrhea for 4/5 days at a time. My Rheumotolgist was not all surprised and said that 70% of women had these problems either enough to make them uncomfortable or poorly enough to stop taking AA any more. I have now been offered Relondrate Infusion once yearly for 2 years. Although initially this may give me similar side effects he said that they will wear off reasonably quickly and then nothing until the next and last infusion. This is the more expensive option on the NHS but far better for the Patient who can also choose to eat a diet rich in High Fish Oils, Salmon, Tuna, mackeral, sardines and pilchards, along with leafy greens, cucumber with skin on etc. weight bearing exercise (just walking if that is all one can do) - do some research on this as some have been able to bring their T-scores down by this lifestyle alone. I believe I need both to help with my osteoporosis as although my T-scores are not frightening I already have 3 crumbled lower vertabrae. Everyone is different, read up as much as you can and make a choice you believe to be right for you. I hope this helps and wish you well.

• Posted

What are your tscores because that is the first thing you need to know. Some people are prescribed AA when their tscores are not really bad?

• Posted

I've got no idea. Haven't had results from scan yet. But I do have several spontaneous fractures of my spine so assume they're not great

• Posted

Sorry about your fractures. Get your tscores if you can as it will help you measure any improvements along the way and also explain the fractures if tscores are to blame. I have osteoporosis with the worst tscore of -4.3 at my lumber but, so far - touch wood, have had no fractures but not for the want of trying by numerous falls.

I am trying natural at the moment but exercise is lacking compared to other people which is really important. I am very good with the diet though.

It will be interesting to see my next tscores.

All the best and hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thanks . It all came as a bit of a shock as I haven't had any falls. I've read that walking isn't that good unless you speed walk Not easy with fractures !

• Posted

I think any exercise you manage is better than none. Everything counts!
    • Posted

I do my best. I walk everyday and Tai Chi once a week. I keep hoping to do aqua fit classes but after walking the dog often not up to anything else
    • Posted

Oh wow you do better than I do! My back would react as I have two bulging discs which cause a nerve to go down into the sacroiliac.

The best I can do is a short walk using a walker and I mean short. I can repeat after a short rest.

I would not even know I have osteoporosis if I did not have the DEXA scan which may have been a good idea to skip lol.

• Posted

No in UK. It's 0815. I started with back pain in Jan. I've had that before so just assumed I'd twisted my back in.my sleep. Went to chiropracter - probably worst thing I could have done! Eventually had xray and all became clear?

• Posted

It is after five in the afternoon here. Shame about the chiropractor, maybe he made it worse. 

My GP worries about that for me, the spine collapsing, I mean!

My sister had issues with AA too. I think more people have trouble than we are told. I have difficulties swallowing so was not game enough to even try.

Anyway, do what is best for you, but with full information.

• Posted

It's not the walking, per se, which helps build bone.  It's the impact of the walking!  So speed walking simply means you are getting more impacts in the time.  Take up Nordic walking to improve upper body strength.  Apparently even improving muscular strength is beneficial as the muscles exert more force on the bones, thereby stimulating them to become stronger.  Every little thing you can do will help.  Exercises to improve balance very important - avoiding falls!  And take Vitamin K2.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.