abalation very soon

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all

I've had my appointment to be admitted to royle Manchester heart hospital just under 4 weeks.... 14 of April 😃 am excited that I am getting it sorted after 20 years of heart problems... yes i am scared but whats life if your not scared now and then ☺

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Steve, no worries mate! If this hospital and your EP do a lot of these procedures per year you'll be in great hands. Just had my ablation a few weeks ago and recovery has gone well. You'll be fine smile
  • Posted

Hi Steven,

I'm 75 amd had mine for Atrial Flutter with out any sedation, it took just over an hour and was a success, 

I was home 4 hours later with no problems at all. I'm now off warfarin 4 months later.

Good luck Ken.

• Posted

Good luck Steven, hope all goes well, as i am sure it will, enjoy the freedom afterwards...
  • Posted

Hi Steven, good luck for your ablation. Four weeks you say? I have been waiting 6 months for an ablation at Coventry. Anyone else care to say how long they have waited?
    • Posted

Hi malex57,

I live in Kent and I too had to wait for 6 months for what is termed an EP study to find out what had caused the AF... in that time I was put on Bisoprolol and felt like **** all the time.Coupled with the anxiety and depression I was tempted to get it done privately but the cost is prohibitive. As it turned out the EP study was inconclusive, and while the Consultant thought he knew what the problem is the investigation didn't show it up and if he'd ablated the wrong thing he said he would have had to put a pacemaker in on the spot. I'm now on a very small dose of Cardicor + Flecainide morning and evening and feel much better, but I think there is a big issue nationally that people have to wait for 6 months or more, perhaps, for a firm diagnosis and treatment. Have you done any other research into waiting times?  

• Posted

Hi GotAbitBetter, no research. this is the first time I have experienced significan delays.
  • Posted

Thank you all for the support smile really glad it's worked for you all yes Allen it's Dr fizpatarick I've heard he's one of the best In the country, wow maxine hope mine that quick smile cheers Andrew smile malex I've been waiting nearly a year for this.. hope it's soon for you smile
  • Posted

Go for it Steven. Nothing that I know of that should make you scared. 

I had an EP carried out be unfortunately they couldn't pinpoint what needed ablating in my case, so I couldn't have it done but I know other people who have and they guys who do it are expert in their field.

All the very best!

• Posted

good luck steven.I'm sure everything will go well..just keep thinking positive mate..
  • Posted

Hi, 6 months, thats nothing. I was diagnosed with PAF.,in June 2012. I

was admitted to hospital for observation and heart monitor for four days.

Then discharged put on bisoporol and flecanaide, plus 25mg aspirin. I

had and outpatient appointment in August 2012 and the cardio stopped

the flecanaide. I then had numerous outpatient appointments with

various cardiologists. I informed some of the doctors that having this

condition stopped me getting a medical for the work I do, (diver offshore

in the oil & gas industry, so I couldn't get a medical to go to work whilst

suffering from PAF. It wasn't until I saw my GP., in late 2013 and told him I wanted to come off my medicaction, which by this time I'd had

changed to a calcium channel blocker, which wasn't doing much good.

He would not take me off and referred me back to see a cardiologist at

Trafford General, in Manchester. I also explained to him in January 2014,

that was 19 months later that I needed to get something done if

possible to resolve this AF.,as it had already stopped me working for

over 19 months. I had a 7 day mobile heart monitor, went back to have it removed, got a phone csll 2 hours after it was removed asking me to go

back and have another one fitted. I asked what was wrong with the first

one? I was told the doctor said there wasn't sufficient data on it.

I went back and had another one fitted for another 7 days. The first one

had obviously either not been fitted correctly or had not been charged up

before it was fitted. Eventually I was referred for PVI., ablation to

Manchester Royal Infirmary. I was admitted on the 24th of July 2014 at

8.00a.m, was having my ablation on sedative at about 10.30a.m.

After nearly 3 hours in the catheter lab., my EP., told me he had to stop the procedure as the cryo machine had malfunctioned and that I would

have to go back and have it done again. I went back exactly 4 weeks to

the day and this time had a successful ablation. I'm now 7 months post

ablation, have had 2 bubble echocardiograms, as I still can't go to work

until the holes they punctured from the right atrium to get into the left

artium haven't closed and therefore I still cn't obtain a medical to go

back to work. Also when the EP., was removing the catheter after the

second ablation was finished it got stuck in the vein and he had to pull

on it sharply to dislodge it. Fortunately for me it camme out, but caused

excessive bleeding. I'm now waiting for another bubble echo

appointment and if thats a good result hopefully will be able to get a

medicsl and look for work. This is my experience and I would't hesitate

To have an ablation again, hopefully it won't be necessary.

• Posted

Thanks John, I hope you now get closure on this. My AF has been with me for 13 years, but mostly well controlled with the meds. So, have not had your challenges. Worst experience was on Amioderone, which caused my Thyroid to go over active, this led to pulse rate of >200 and a trip to A&E. After a few years of trying I was promised an Ablation by January last - can't wait. Best wishes.
  • Posted

The NHS, and particularly the Consultants, don't seem to realise how the delay in diagnosis and treatment destroys people's lives and livelihood. My EP procedure was horrendous and 'patient care' just wasn't on the radar, and was told sedation would have an adverse effect on the outcome. The mention of asprin is also interesting, and I was prescribed this, but was subsequently told it's no good for AF and came off them, which doesn't build one's faith much. Did they acknowledge the things that didn't go exactly according to plan?

Any road, glad to hear you're on the mend and will be able to get back to work - good luck.

• Posted

Well it's April 13th and abalation day and the good old NHS has cancelled for lack of beds been waiting months and symtoms are as bad as ever

Not a happy person sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.