Abdominal bloating and discomfort. Is it serious?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 30 and 2 weeks ago felt very bloated and felt discomfort on my side right below the rib cage. Not pain, just pressure discomfort. I went to a walk in who asked me questions.

- no fever

- generally normal Bowel movements. Light brown. (I say general as I had one bout of diarrhea during the discomfort)

- no change in urinary habits

The doctor did an abdominal exam and said she didn't feel anything out of place on my side, but I may have had "gastritis". She told me to go ok the BRAT diet. I did it felt a little better but not really and then I eased back into normal food.

When I am active (soccer or running) I don't feel the discomfort and my bloating goes down. But it keeps coming back.

I'm making an appointment with my GP. I will push for blood work, urine/fecal ultrasound. And try to get the ball rolling on a colonoscopy or endoscopy as I have family history of cancer.

I know I'm young but I'm worried and wonder if anyone else had similar symptoms and what they ended up meaning.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Bloating and pressure discomfort although indicative of gastritis/IBS, can also be from toxins or fatty liver. 

Along with endoscopy, would suggest liver panel test. 

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I'll mention that when I see the doctor. I haven't really ever drank alcohol but liver disease can stem from other causes.

• Posted

Yeah, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease can be caused by a number of factors: loss of sleep, irregular diet or change in gut bacteria, etc. 
  • Posted

Definitely ask your doctor for the tests you have mentioned and keep a food diary to see if any fpods are causing bloating.  Ask about IBS.
    • Posted

Update:

Went to the Urgent Care

Got blood & Urine work done, all clear, liver function perfect, pancreas perfect, kidney function perfect.

At this point the pain had gone away but i began to feel light headed and short of breath to i went in.

EKG normal, Chest x-ray no concerns, Rectal exam, no cocerns.

Now i feel dizzy, and sick. Doctor said he thinks i have a virus as he cant find anything wrong with me.

Trying to accept this but i am still worried it could be cancer because im a hypochondriac.

He told me if it would make me feel better ask my GP for a colonoscopy but he didnt think i needed to worry. All my results blood, oxygen, heart, was perfect.

• Posted

If you are worried, ask for a colonoscopy.  If it comes back normal as well as everything else, IBS is the usual diagnosis.
    • Posted

My stomach has been feeling better, BM have improved. Im going to my GP soon for my annual but will tell him all ove my concerns and hope he green lights a Colonoscopy.

That being said. My main symtom now, is fatigue, and dizziness. Also I have some dyspnea at night, but no cough, or lung pain.

EKG normal, chest xray normal.

Blood tests perfect.

Id like to think i should be able to feel confident i dont have lung cancer, or brain cancer, but im really stressing out about this. I never get sick, but i dont feel sick, i just feel off. Its driving my wife nuts. But i cant stop feeling off and getting upset about it. 

• Posted

If your stomach feels better, this should reassure you.  Hopefully you get some answers.
    • Posted

Got a CT scan and a colonoscopy.

Colon and lung cancer ruled out. Symptoms have subsided. Doctor says it is anxiety related.

New symptoms: Tightness in neck/throat and a cough.

I also have some heartburn. Could be anxiety again or GERD. will investigate with my doctor as we have an appointment soon to look at my anti-depressants(3 weeks in)

• Posted

Heartburn can be caused by anxiety or eating a food that disagrees with you, particularly spicy or greasy foods.  My GERD started with anxiety and progressed to problems with fatty or spicy foods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.