Abdominal pain, right side under ribs and back pain

Posted , 30 users are following.

I'm getting some weird abdominal pains on my right side.  It started a couple of months ago with discomfort when bending forwards, and has gradually been getting worse.  First it was just bending over, then it spread to when I was sitting, so I had to kind of slouch, but now I'm getting it while slouching and about the only position I don't get it is standing up or lying flat.

The area is on the right hand side just under the the ribs.  The pain is like a dull pain or pressure - feels like something it pressing on something inside me, but also when bending forward I can also get a weird tingly pain which feels like it's on top of my ribs, and this stretches from the front all the way around my side.  I also have a near constant dull pain in my back in around the same area.

I realise there's a big mess of organs in that area, so I've been reading up on the symptoms of the likely suspects.  The problem is, I don't really have any other symptoms which seem to go with any of the main problems.  It's not a sharp or stabbing or severe pain, and I don't have any fever, nausia, weight loss, indigestion, heartburn, constipation, loss of appettite, weakness, swelling, shortness of breath, high or low blood pressure or chest pains.

I'm otherwise fairly fit and healthy, though I could do with losing a few kilos (5'11, 80kg, 20% body fat).

I recently (while I had this problem) had a "wellman check" which included a wide range of blood tests.  All were within normal ranges, including kiney and liver function tests.

GP has recomended an ultrasound, but said this could be 3-4 weeks...

Any thoughts on what it might be?

4 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

A ct scan because of a shadow on my right lung but still not sure about the pain in lower back and all around my waist I seen about someone was having this problem and had been taking ibuprofen and Naproxen which I have been taking about everyday for few months so I'm going to stop taking any of that and see if it helps

• Posted

Yes, let us know, I am always worried about taking ibuprofen as too much use can initiate heart issues.

Do you ever have pain issues as you climb into bed turning on any of your sides? I sometimes wake up with my lower back aching which usually resolves once I've been up 5 mins or so, I often experience pain at the left side of my back and the right too, it feels like the pain wants to find somewhere and eventually does, I sometimes get it in the upper right bicep.

• Posted

I have this since 7 months. But in the left side, a bit more left than the stomach.

Could it be gastritis, if the pain is such for a long time? Also it comes for about two or three weeks, and then has periods of one or two weeks without much pain. Stress triggers it, food can also worsen, and bending over can also worsen the pain afterwards.

All ultrasound and blood tests were normal (including celiac, iron, D and B12). Doctor suspects both some minor degree of IBD and a neurological problem like fibromyalgia (as I had muscular pain and numbness also occasionally in left arm and muscle twitches in the abdomen) The only thing I have not done was a colonoscopy and endoscopy.

• Posted

Did anyone get answers. I've had si.ar problems off and on for over two years and seems worse now. Am going to go to ortho. Gastro doesn't think it's gastro issue. Ultrasounds normal.

• Posted

i have the same problem,i have hepatisis b, but after doing the viral load, the result says inactive phase of the infection. But now i AM having thesame pain on my right side, extending to the back. Pls help
  • Posted

I have had similar pains for almost 4 years now. Ever since my daughter was born. (C section) I have had two ultrasounds, one of kidney,liver,gallbladder and another for ovary and uterus. Everything came back normal except left ovary tiny cyst. Pain from sternum across to ribs, and around to my back. I have had so many blood tests I can't count. Amalyse, lipase, checked liver and kidney function, everything normal. H.pylori test came out negative. My diet effects the pain. Stress triggers the pain. Have tried zantac,time and gas ex. Slight relief but no fixes. Doc now recommends HIDA scan, but not into radiation injection. I had relief for 4 days once when I had not drinken alcohol for a couple weeks on top of a gluten free diet, no red meat and no dairy. The pain recently when I bend forward or lift something heavy, under right rib near stomach. Saw an acupuncturist for a month, too pricey to keep on. But he says possible clog in intestine, the transverse, I think he said. That sharp turn under right rib.

Next for me is a G.I.speciaslist and another ultrasound focusing on intestines and stomach.

• Posted

Hi!

I have an update. A GP and Gastro both said the problem could be caused by a spine problem, and that a nerve pinched or damaged could cause pain the lower rib and also intestine and stomach symptoms. I visited an acupuncturist and she said its clear I have some problem in the Th12/L1 spine region. So I now booked a visit to a private spine column and will do a MRI. 

I will also do a colonoscopy later in the year, just to screen intestines. But colonoscopy fails to spot a problem if this is located in small intestine rather than colon (for that you need a pill cam test). 

You CANNOT see the intestine with either ultrasound or x-ray. Please do colonoscopy/endoscopy if you suspect something.

• Posted

Update now: blood tests, celiac test, parasite test, abdominal ultrasound, were all fine.

Slightly low levels of iron, but within range. Good levels of Vit D and B12.

Some symptoms were also neurological. So I booked an MRI to the spine. There is strong evidence that something happening in spine might be the source of the LUQ pain and even the irritable bowel, Both only in the left side.

Multiple sclerosis or a spine misalignment and pinched nerve (or damaged) are two theories.

Will do colonoscopy and endoscopy just to screen colon (a cam pill would be a second possibility). IBD was another possibility as I had a couple of mildly positive calprotectin stool tests. The intestine got nearly back to normal after I went gluten free and removed a few things from diet.

Fasciculations could be caused by magnesium deficiency. And since I started magnesium pills, they quickly disappeared so it seems that was it. 

Hoping to do a faecal elastase test to test for pancreatic function, suspected of being low.

I did a lyme disease ELISA test and it came back uncertain. Lyme also causes abdominal pain, fatigue and fasciculations, but its diagnosis is difficult.

Stress is a big trigger and one of the biggest factors so I am trying to tackle that too.

Finally, will see a cardio and do a stress test, just as a check up.

• Posted

I know this is an old thread I have one that's just as old but curious if you ever got a diagnosis??

• Posted

same exact issues here it seems.  cant figure it out.  any updates anyone?
  • Posted

I have semi-constant pain in the LUQ since 1 year. Also some swelling, some of it under the ribs, some is bloating in the left side abdomen.

Done several ultrasounds, lung x-ray, abdomen MRI: nothing abnormal seen.

This rules out (to 95% confidence) many serious conditions.

Gastro thinks it's air inside. Either colon, stomach or lung. Unlikely to be pancreas.

Colonoscopy is the next obvious step, to be done in 2 weeks.

Possibility of some minor problem in the gut.

Stool tests: Calprotectin was negative (mildly raised in one ocasion), no occult blood, awaiting elastase result.

At times I had constipation and nausea, regular fasciculations in the area, and even mild fever.

Fasciculations were probably caused by the pressure in local nerves. Magnesium helped with that too.

Other than this, I have been following a healthy diet (avoiding fatty foods, peanuts, milk, processed food, and fructose) and it seems to improve the general gut health. Also keeping minimum stress, mild gentle exercise, and plenty of sleeping is helping a lot.

• Edited

I have had the same sort of thing for 2-3 months now. I’ve had bloods taken twice, abdo ultrasound and urine which were all clear. I had my endoscopy + colonoscopy today and I have a duodenum hiatus hernia. Which when I google I haven’t found anything to say it causes pain in that location.. but the pain is exactly where the duodenum is located. Not saying this would be anyone else’s issue but to all of you who have not had endos and cols done and still don’t have answers get onto it. There a quite a few issues that can present with problems in this area that can be diagnosed by these procedures. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.