Abdominal pain, right side under ribs and back pain

Posted , 30 users are following.

I'm getting some weird abdominal pains on my right side.  It started a couple of months ago with discomfort when bending forwards, and has gradually been getting worse.  First it was just bending over, then it spread to when I was sitting, so I had to kind of slouch, but now I'm getting it while slouching and about the only position I don't get it is standing up or lying flat.

The area is on the right hand side just under the the ribs.  The pain is like a dull pain or pressure - feels like something it pressing on something inside me, but also when bending forward I can also get a weird tingly pain which feels like it's on top of my ribs, and this stretches from the front all the way around my side.  I also have a near constant dull pain in my back in around the same area.

I realise there's a big mess of organs in that area, so I've been reading up on the symptoms of the likely suspects.  The problem is, I don't really have any other symptoms which seem to go with any of the main problems.  It's not a sharp or stabbing or severe pain, and I don't have any fever, nausia, weight loss, indigestion, heartburn, constipation, loss of appettite, weakness, swelling, shortness of breath, high or low blood pressure or chest pains.

I'm otherwise fairly fit and healthy, though I could do with losing a few kilos (5'11, 80kg, 20% body fat).

I recently (while I had this problem) had a "wellman check" which included a wide range of blood tests.  All were within normal ranges, including kiney and liver function tests.

GP has recomended an ultrasound, but said this could be 3-4 weeks...

Any thoughts on what it might be?

4 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Clearly not, otherwise the pain would be worse all the time.  It's possible that it was purely co-incidental, but it's not something I want to test again.

• Edited

Did you ever get this diagnosed? Sounds exactly like mine but all blood tests normal and gastroscopy results all normal

Apple juice makes my pain worse - tried it twice just to make sure it was the apple juice.

• Edited

turned out to be 2 separate issues, which is what made it difficult to diagnose.  The 'pressure' pain was 'mild gastritis' which has now gone, and that was related to the food / juice.  The other pain was due to a soft disc extrusion on the spine, pushing against the nerve and referring pain to the front.

• Posted

Hi john i been having the same problem for 3-4 years now. Iv seen doctors for it and done blood test and ultra sound and they were all normal until i saw a chiro and he kind of fixed it temporary. Eveytime i feel the pain i have to go see him and he cracks my back and its good for couple months. But the last couple of time iv seen him it hasn't helped as much as used to. Its really stressing me out and its hurting my pocket too .

Hope you get better and keep us updated if you find a way to fix it

Cheers

• Posted

Im hving tbe exact same problem i hope its nt serious cuz i dnt want to hve to get surgery.
  • Posted

Anyone have an update?

I have had pain in my stomach for 1.5 years and have done many tests, medicines, and doctor visits. My GI doctor sent me for a HIDI scan earlier this year and said gallbladder was 80% working.  My pain started in the center of my stomach and has started going up to my ribs and now looping around my back. I am getting desperate. 

• Posted

Any updates on this? I've been having similar problems. I have pain in my upper right side. I also have severe reflux with IBS and Barrett's Esophagus. The last 3 months I started having the pain in my upper right side. Had an US last week and everything looked ok. Honestly, after everything that has been going on, I really think my if gallbladder had a problem that would explain everything. 

• Posted

Seriously get checked for stomach ulcers.

I had all the symptoms and went through all kinds of tests,I put up with the pain for nearly 2 years and that was the answer.

Now on long term meds :-( but I take that anyday to be pain free like I am now????

• Posted

IT'S SO SO CRAZY IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM RIGHT NOW.... BUT WHEN FIND OUT LET ME NO.

• Posted

I have been having pain by the right side of my stomach to the back and sometimes I felt pain in my right leg as if it dislocates that I wont be able to move.

I have done appendix 25yrs old.

Please Advice .

Thank you

• Posted

I've already had my gallbladder laproscopically removed 6 years ago and I had a fall some months ago and I'm wondering if one of the titanium clips have come loose as I am experiencing a pain on movement and when sitting on the right side, I too get the radiated pain across the back, I am getting concerned about this now and I'm going to the doctor next week as I'm not accepting an appointment for physio as this will make pain worse, the pain feels bad like a stich.

• Posted

I have the same symptoms the only thing that they can tell me so far is that I have a fatty liver I don't know if that can cause all of those problems or not ,still researching. Let me know if u find out anything

• Posted

@ted43022

I've had an abdominal X-ray and an upper abdominal ultrasound of which they found nothing sinister.

Which test found you have a fatty liver?

I've a feeling that the pain I've been getting could be related to a torn or badly strained oblique muscles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.