Abdominal pain that goes away after laying down

Posted , 9 users are following.

Im an overweight diabetic to start. I wake up in the morning and I feel fine. About an hour later my stomach starts to hurt, right side under ribs (few times on left). My stomach starts to bloat at some points and become very hard especially at the top. The bloating will cause me to labor at breathing a small bit. The bloating will not go down until i lay down for a couple of hours. I get heart burn when this happens. My whole abdomen will be sore to the touch. It will make me feel like puking.

Other symptoms that accompany it are (thinking to be transferred pain?) : ribs sore, intense pain in the center of my shoulder blades to my shoulder to my neck and so forth.

Things that make it better and/or worse other than laying down :

Eating, if I don't/do eat for a while it hurts less then will start hurting really bad. Empty stomach pain is worse when it occurs and is accompanied with lots of gas. Also is caused or causes anxiety.

Had liver, pancreas, gallbladder and hernia (ultrasound ) test. Nothing negative had came back. Doctor has no idea.

So far I take proton pump inhibitors and drink peppermint tea to help, there than laying down... Anyone else have the same issue or found out definitely what it is? Ibs syndrome seems to be a catch all for stomach issues doctors can explain.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi James,

Did you get a diagnosis or answer to your symptoms? I'm been having similar issues for 9 months now and don't have a diagnosis or answer

• Posted

Have you had a HIDA scan to check the function of the gallbladder and have you had an endoscopy to look for H pylori and gastritis? If you haven't had these tests, ask for them. Both gastritis and gallbladder oroblems can cause shoulder blade pain. It doesn't sound like IBS since you don't seem to be experiencing bowel habit change. Try a food diary to see if a particular food is causing symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.