About to start Methotrexate

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

So I am about to start my first, test dose, of Met. tonight for my Psoriasis. I chose to take it with my evening meal as A. I don't want to find out about the initial side effects while I'm at work and B. I will hopefuly sleep off ay of the side effects. 

I will be taking the Folic Acid once a week. Should this be taken 24 hours after Met or any time next day? Eg. first thing in the morning. 

Any advice from long term users will be appreciated smile

Thanks.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Charlie

A difficult question to give a straight forward answer the reason being is that the side effects are different for everybody. Some have none at all whilst others suffer more so what you have decided to do is a good idea and hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones who has minimal side effects. It's trial and error so go ahead with your plan and (assuming you are taking it weekly) if you get side effects you will work out when they are at their worst and can change your plan accordingly. Expect to feel a bit 'yucky' for the first couple of days.

As regards the folic acid you can take that when you like as long as it isn't within 24 hours of the methotrexate. (MTX) It won't harm you but the MTX is a blocker for folic acid so it won't work.

I hope you are one of the lucky ones who don't suffer too badly and wish you luck on your journey.

Just for future record most people on MTX take folic acid 6 times a week. Every day except MTX say as that is the one that lessens the side effects so if you do struggle that's the first thing to put in place.

Good luck

Lisa ??

• Posted

That should say every day except MTX day....!!!' 😊😊

• Posted

Thanks Lisa. Doctor said to take Folic Acid once a week (on a different day to MTX) but I also take Multi vitamins with folic acid included. 

Fingers crossed that everything will go well! cheesygrin

• Posted

Fingers crossed for you 😊😊 Just double check that is ok with the multi vitamins. I'm sure it will be but with MTX you have to be extremely careful what you take with it. Being a long time user I have learned to double check everything with MTX . You'd be surprised at some things not to take. Your doctor and pharmacist should be able to advise but I always double check with my Rheumy. Anyway hopefully you won't need any of this. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones who it works for with minimum side effects. 😊😊??

• Posted

yes you take folic day after taking mtx must be taken same day each week say you take mtx on monday it has to be same day each week same with folic acid take next day hope this helps
  • Posted

Charlie

Mtx is a cancer drug and should only be used if ABSOLUTELY necessary.  I believe psoriasis is an alergy to some food. I'd sure look into it and see what your allergic too. Might go off of all gluten and dairy for 30 days and see if you don't see an improvement.

• Posted

Hi Lynda. I had psoriasis for over 15 years and its only getting worse. I've been only treated with oitment and UV rays but it didn't do much help so my dermatologist put me on MTX

• Posted

Further to Lynda's comment, MTX is indeed a heavy duty drug which (I'm no doctor so am putting it in terms I believe) has low grade chemo in it. However it is widely used for many types of arthritis and I have psoriatic arthritis. As for it treating psoriasis on its own I'm unable to comment but remember this drug has been prescribed to you by a professional so if you have any questions go back to whoever prescribed it for you. Do not just decide not to take it. There are many pros and cons to taking it or not. Some people are very anti MTX whilst others it works miracles for. I'm not saying Lynda's wrong or right or me for that matter of fact. I just know if it has been prescribed for you there is a reason.

I was very anti MTX when I started it because of scare mongering but as I got used to it I wouldn't be without it now.

Lisa

😊😊??

• Posted

So been now 12 hours on the initial (test) dose and I have had no side effects. Fingers crossed it will stay this way cool

• Posted

😎😎😎😃😃😊??

Thank you for letting us know. That's wonderful news

Lisa

??????

• Posted

Hi Charlie. Chatz. Welcome aboard!

I have been putting MTX into my body, for moderate Psoriasis on my skin and under fingernails with psoriatic arthritis, for over a year now and I’m still alive!

All joking aside, my dosage started with 2.5x4 mg tabs per week and ended up at 2.5 mg x 6 around 4 months into it. Skin and nails were nearly completely clear around 4 to 6 months. My dosage presently is 1 ml injection due to the fact the arthritis and morning stiffness had not quite subsided. This is the maximum appropriate injection amount for PSA.(so it seems)

Now I inject in the morning. I found if I took the medication at night I had brain fog the next workday. Since I started injecting in the morning before going to work I was fine for the work the next day! Brain fog time was while I was asleep, I guess!

I would like to add I take 1 mg folic acid every day. My rheumatologist stated that 1 mg of folic acid is not enough to significantly counter the anti- folate action of the MTX Be prepared to get a lot of opinions. I appreciate this forum however I read as much diverse medical research and facts as possible.

Lastly, if I may offer a published definition of something you will see frequently in this forum, to ease your journey:

" Chemotherapy is a drug treatment that uses powerful chemicals to kill fast-growing cells in your body."

gathering the information i have found, Methotrexate does not KILL Cells. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. So far I had no side effects with the 5mg dosage. I had my blood tests done today so on Monday if the results are good I will start the 15mg dose. 
    • Posted

You have no side effects. Thats awesom! and, i am happy for you. good Luck my friend!
  • Posted

So last night I took the first full dose of MTX. So far no side effects so fingers crossed it will stay that way cheesygrin

• Posted

Bravo! just read your post. I certianly hope for all smooth sailing and good results for you my friend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.