About to start Methotrexate

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

So I am about to start my first, test dose, of Met. tonight for my Psoriasis. I chose to take it with my evening meal as A. I don't want to find out about the initial side effects while I'm at work and B. I will hopefuly sleep off ay of the side effects. 

I will be taking the Folic Acid once a week. Should this be taken 24 hours after Met or any time next day? Eg. first thing in the morning. 

Any advice from long term users will be appreciated smile

Thanks.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So It's been 3 months and I'm on my second pack with  no side effects whatsover. cheesygrin

• Posted

What fantastic news 😄😄😄😄 it's so nice to hear the good side of this drug as well as the bad.

I'm really pleased for you

????😀

Lisa

• Posted

Thank you Lisa. Also my PS is sooo much better. I have zero flakes and the redness is slowly going away. Also no itchy at all.
    • Posted

Sorry for delay replying... For some reason my emails from this site have been going into junk mail!

Fantastic news. Its so nice to hear the success stories.

😊😊??????

• Posted

So I've had my first review after starting MTX. Everything perfect on my blood tests but as I still have redness here and there, the doctor decided to increase my dose to 8 pills per week. 

Since then, my condition got worst as it started flaking again. 

Only things changed were: 

Dosage increase from 6 pills per week to 8 pills per week and I now take my medication from my pharmacist while before I was getting it from the Hospital.

Could it be a quality issue of the MTX? As pills look different.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Charlie

That's a question that I always ask myself whenever one of my medications looks different.

Sorry I don't have a definite answer for you but I was told it's exactly the same. Different companies make the drug and the pharmacy will buy from the cheaper supplier .... to qualify to be called a drug it has to have the same 'format of ingredients '. I was told this by my pharmacist so that's why I say it's not definite because I've not read it anywhere, just word of mouth from my pharmacist. I asked then why the folic acid has to be prescribed by a doctor and not bought over the counter and he said prescribed folic acid to go with MTX is a different 'make up' than over the counter. Sorry for the non technical terms!!!

The bottom line is if it is called Methotrexate its methotrexate!!

Be interested though to read any other replies.

I've been on MTX for 2 years and often the actual pill is different but I take it and have noticed no difference.

If you are concerned your doctor will put your mind at rest.

Sorry you are struggling at the moment. I hope things improve for you soon

Regards

Lisa 😊

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Lisa. 

Have you been on the same dose over the 2 years? It's annoying as previously it was working perfectly but when the doctor increased the dosage it's like it stopped working. 

I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience.

• Posted

Hi Charlie

Sorry for the delay... funnily enough I'm having problems getting answers from either my doctor or rheumy on many things!!! 

Yes they increased mine from 4 then 5 to 6, but I didn't really notice the difference (that I can remember)...,, yes it still worked...,, as they've left me untreated now for 2 and a half months due to health problems..,, trust me it definitely worked... coming off if it has proved that!! 🙈🙁 I'm now back on it (25 phone calls didn't get me answers) so I've had to weigh up their neglect VS my pain and I can't bear it any longer. Going back to the start on the higher dose I have certainly noticed the side effects! 

I guess they up it if your disease gets more active or you feel too much pain still. If it's 'stopped working ' are you expecting pain free, expecting too much from the drug or maybe you were better on the lower dose.... standard answer I'm afraid.... rheumy needs to know and advise.

Hope you have more luck than me getting through! ??🌈🌻

• Posted

Hi Lisa, 

My treatment is for severe psoriasis so it's not painful just flaky and itchy when things go wrong. 

It was fine when I was on 6 pills but it didn't go away completely (it was still red but not flaky or itchy) so the doctor prescribed me 8 pills (instead of 7) as I didn't have any side effects. I don't think that I have any side effects with the increased dosage but it does seem like the flaking came back sad 

• Posted

Hi Charlie 

Although I have PSA touch wood my psoriasis is only under my finger nails and a small patch on my elbow so mine is based on what it does for the arthritis in terms of joint pain, swelling etc.

If you feel it's making it worse I would drop back to the dose you were happy on but don't forget that although we already have the drug in our system originally it took a few months to start working properly.... I don't know if maybe upping the dose takes time too. ??? Again not very helpful.., I wonder if you use creams too... maybe they need reviewing with the higher dose.... 

back to rheumy!! 

There should be helplines for people going through this. 25 phone calls to my rheumy... couldn't get past his secretary... he's now in holiday for a month... the other consultant retired and has not been replaced...... such a potent drug with not enough support for us

Although this is a great forum we can only advise... go with gut feeling is what I try to do until I can get to my rheumy

Wishing you luck ??🌈🌻

Lisa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.